to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Interview: Dead Space 3 producer on micro-transactions and k

Your comments on our articles.

John Calhoun goes into bat for in-game purchases and 'Asymmetrical Dementia'

It's only a matter of weeks before the world will finally decide whether Dead Space 3 is scary enough. Many feared its devolution into scripted third-person shooter, but as our recent 3 hours hands-on indicated, there's little to fear in that regard.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Interview: Dead Space 3 producer on micro-transactions and k

Postby beastie » 25 Jan 2013, 02:56

They really think there are a new generation that only know games which involve micro transactions?, just admit you are greedy, at least people will respect the honesty.
beastie 53

Re: Interview: Dead Space 3 producer on micro-transactions a

Postby stealth » 25 Jan 2013, 04:23

ea sucks
stealth 47

Postby Imaduck » 25 Jan 2013, 05:04

Damn it, will miss credits a bit.
Imaduck 58

Postby ingy » 25 Jan 2013, 09:26

So the transactions are there for the mobile gamers, oh right that's ok then, for a minute there i thought they were designing this game around their loyal console customers,.....hmphhh.....what was i thinking?
ingy 64

Postby Barca Azul » 25 Jan 2013, 12:03

I hope that this game and the Micro transactions Tank monumentally.

If this becomes the norm, id be very disappointed and probably look for gaming elsewhere. I hate Map packs ect...and refuse to buy.

The only DLC that I have bought and thought it was worth money, is the GTA IV ones.
Barca Azul 62

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 Jan 2013, 12:26

stealth wrote:ea sucks

Wait a minute..........stealth..........stEAlth...........stEAlth?

He's a plant, GET HIM GUYS!!
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 Jan 2013, 12:36

I was reading the Eurogamer article, that argued that it's a slippery slope, that if you put micro-transactions in Dead Space, aren't you just saying you can pay to win? We would never make a game you have to pay to win. There are genres of games where that is the answer, and you know what? The world has spoken, they suck. We don't want to make games that suck, we want to make games that people want to hold on to, to keep on their shelves. That is our mark of success.

I'm not sure the choice is yours though, what EA want EA get.

Now look where we are.

In all fairness though I see nothing wrong with what the devs have done with this game. As long as I don't see options in the game plastered everywhere reminding me it's a business model and not a game. If I see any adverts in the game stating I can use my real money to buy stuff I'll be pretty p**sed off. It was enough to put me off FF13-2 when I saw my lady being presented with a advert to buy a section of the game that was locked!
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby mw123 » 25 Jan 2013, 12:52

what is it with all this micro transaction stuff,look i understand free to play if you want more you pay for it,i am fine with that.
some dlc is worthwhile i understand the point of that.
but why oh why would you want to pay when you will be able to finish it without paying extra.
Just stick the game on easy if all you want to do is fly through to the end. :?
mw123 39

Postby Uzi77 » 25 Jan 2013, 13:16

At the end of the day; it's optional. I don't understand all the hate. If you don't like the game's direction, don't buy it. Don't like micro-transactions, don't use them. This is your own personal fraction of the protest against them. If the game fails because of an increase in action/scripted events, there will be less in the next instalment. If the micro-transactions earn EA £5, then they aren't going to spend whatever the development costs were on putting them in the next game.
Uzi77 54

Postby billysastard » 25 Jan 2013, 13:29

Barca Azul wrote:I hope that this game and the Micro transactions Tank monumentally.

If this becomes the norm, id be very disappointed and probably look for gaming elsewhere. I hate Map packs ect...and refuse to buy.

The only DLC that I have bought and thought it was worth money, is the GTA IV ones.

absolutely.

i buy only retail expansion packs never touch the valueless download crap.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby budge » 25 Jan 2013, 14:04

So if there is no credits does that mean there is no store either? That was one of the best things about Dead Space, stumbling onto a store with plenty of credits to buy a much welcomed upgrade to your suit or weapons.

Instant gratification. That's what's wrong with what people want (or what publishers/developers think people want) from games nowadays. :(
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby funkyjack » 25 Jan 2013, 14:42

Now if CoD started offering micro transactions for weapons in multiplayer that would be a different story...but Dead Space is a single player or co-op game and I bought the weapon and armour DLC packs for the previous Dead Space games for my New Game+ and thoroughly enjoyed them. I don't really see this as being much different. Fans of a game always pay extra for "special editions" or whatever, and if it's optional does anyone actually give a damn?
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Jan 2013, 14:49

funkyjack wrote:Now if CoD started offering micro transactions for weapons in multiplayer that would be a different story...but Dead Space is a single player or co-op game and I bought the weapon and armour DLC packs for the previous Dead Space games for my New Game+ and thoroughly enjoyed them. I don't really see this as being much different. Fans of a game always pay extra for "special editions" or whatever, and if it's optional does anyone actually give a damn?

Why?

BF3 has unlock packs and it just reduces the time it take to get them. I don't see how that's different here.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby flash501 » 25 Jan 2013, 14:58

budge wrote:So if there is no credits does that mean there is no store either? That was one of the best things about Dead Space, stumbling onto a store with plenty of credits to buy a much welcomed upgrade to your suit or weapons.

Instant gratification. That's what's wrong with what people want (or what publishers/developers think people want) from games nowadays. :(

The stores are still there, they just use minerals that you find along the way now rather than credits. So you "build" what you want rather than buy it.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Barca Azul » 25 Jan 2013, 15:06

Uzi77 wrote:At the end of the day; it's optional. I don't understand all the hate. If you don't like the game's direction, don't buy it. Don't like micro-transactions, don't use them. This is your own personal fraction of the protest against them. If the game fails because of an increase in action/scripted events, there will be less in the next instalment. If the micro-transactions earn EA £5, then they aren't going to spend whatever the development costs were on putting them in the next game.

Today yes maybe, but they are testing the water with this for sure.

Imagine FIFA 15, Buy in the UK and get the EPL. Want to play with a Spanish team in La Liga, that will be 2 quid please? Italy, certainly sir, 2 quid please? Champions league you say, 4 quid please?

Maybe this is an over reaction, but look how successful and how much DLC exploded this gen because people bought map packs.

Id rather they put the game price up but was able to play everything on or off the disc. Not half a game. This is my worry.
Barca Azul 62

Next