to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ni no Kuni review: Ghibli's godsend to gamers

Your comments on our articles.

Level-5 fuses with PS3 adventure

There aren't enough games that want to simply make you smile. Plenty make us roar in victory and umpteen make us satisfied, but there aren't many that leave us gleefully grinning from ear to ear.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ni no Kuni review: Ghibli's godsend to gamers

Postby Kirashikuro » 24 Jan 2013, 11:54

The wait is killing me.lol
Kirashikuro 6
New user

Xbox Live: Kirashikuro
PSN ID: Kirashikuro

Re: Ni no Kuni review: Ghibli's godsend to gamers

Postby StonecoldMC » 24 Jan 2013, 12:14

Not a fan of JRPG's in the slightest and this Game doesn't change that, however for fans of the genre this looks like a defining game of this generation.

Enjoy it JRPG'rs :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby sammikid » 24 Jan 2013, 12:29

Thats how I feel^ not a Fan of the genre, but this has been getting some great reviews that I feel I owe it a try atleast.
Will be Interesting to see if I end up enjoying it.
Reviewer over on IGN said he enjoyed it so much, he didn't want the game to end. What puts me off is the child like themes, but he insisted its a game for adults too. I don't want to feel i've missed out on something.
sammikid 58

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby Fr33Kye » 24 Jan 2013, 12:47

Absolutely loved the demo. Kind of scratched a nostalgic and jrpg itch at the same time. There's so much to love, it looks amazing, the battles are great and actually fit the game so there's no disconnect, and the heart/attribute system seems to fit the game and tone while having great potential for interesting gameplay. I think it's the way everything fits together in a package that comes very close to the feeling only a ghibli movie can give, while providing you with a jrpg that matches it you can truly just enjoy. It's hard to nail down. My only concern, is that i'm of the opinion that levels are only as different as the way in which you traverse them, so i'm a little worried that the only thing that will change is how everything looks, not how you approach or explore things. Even if that's true it looks worth a playthrough. I'm not an expert on the genre, so is it safe to call this the best jrpg this gen?
Fr33Kye 69

Postby budge » 24 Jan 2013, 12:55

There's more colour in those screenshots than a years load of FPS games (Borderlands excluded) ;)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 24 Jan 2013, 12:56

I'll warn you all the last boss is an absolute bastard. Three bosses one after the other and they get harder each time.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 24 Jan 2013, 12:59

sammikid wrote:Thats how I feel^ not a Fan of the genre, but this has been getting some great reviews that I feel I owe it a try atleast.
Will be Interesting to see if I end up enjoying it.
Reviewer over on IGN said he enjoyed it so much, he didn't want the game to end. What puts me off is the child like themes, but he insisted its a game for adults too. I don't want to feel i've missed out on something.

It is a game for adults too. The opening is pretty harsh, Oliver's Mother dies right in front of him and there's lots of deep themes like loss and regret and some pretty harsh scenes to do with why shadaar becomes the way he is as well some fairly adult jokes that'd go over the top of most kids heads.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby Nimron Tang » 24 Jan 2013, 13:04

Not really a fan of JRPG's either but I'm really looking forward to this. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli and have always hoped for an open world Pokemon game.

Am I right in thinking that we get to name our familiars?

@Sammi - What do you think of the Pokemon games?
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 48

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby Barry316 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:10

Nimron Tang wrote:Not really a fan of JRPG's either but I'm really looking forward to this. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli and have always hoped for an open world Pokemon game.

Am I right in thinking that we get to name our familiars?

@Sammi - What do you think of the Pokemon games?

I read there's an ability/item to name-change. I'd be shocked if everybody didn't have a Bruce Willis.
Death to Ming!
Barry316 64

Postby Nimron Tang » 24 Jan 2013, 13:23

Good sh*t! Bruce Willis wasn't on my list of potential names before, but he is now. I just need to keep a look out for any bald and wrinkly familiars.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 48

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby Sangor » 24 Jan 2013, 13:26

Always been a massive fan of Level 5 since Dark Cloud, and having Studio Ghibli involved is just the icing on the cake.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 50

Postby roland82 » 24 Jan 2013, 14:55

In an anti playstation rant of my younger days I made a bet with a mate that if I ever bought a PS3 I'd give him everything in my flat.

Watching that video is making me question whether I really need a fridge, or microwave or a sofa.
roland82 56

Postby barnestormer » 24 Jan 2013, 14:58

As a Welsh man (mun) with half my family hailing from the HoV area I can confirm that Drippy's accent, idioms and colloquialisms are absolutely spot on. Oddly the second time Studio Ghibli have gone Welsh, source material for Howl's Moving Castle is Welsh too.
barnestormer 22
New user

Postby Chris Scullion » 24 Jan 2013, 15:07

Nimron Tang wrote:Am I right in thinking that we get to name our familiars?

Yup, you can indeed.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby El Mag » 24 Jan 2013, 15:12

Like a few others have said, I'm not really into JRPG's but this is the first game I've ordered in ages. I'm ready to lose hours on it and get myself back into the long gaming sessions. There's bugger all on tele worth watching anyway.

And I'm going to name a familiar Ryo Hazuki, because I have a sickness that'll never be satisfied. Definitely got to have a Bruce Lee, Chunk (from Goonies) and Chaka Khan in there as well.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Next