to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Metal Gear Rising, Dead Space 3 demos go live

Your comments on our articles.

Gold subscription required; PSN deploy expected tomorrow in Europe

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Dead Space 3 demos are now available to download on Xbox Live.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Metal Gear Rising, Dead Space 3 demos go live

Postby only_777 » 22 Jan 2013, 17:36

Want demos? Pay Money!

Earn Money from clicking a link, stupid but true: http://paid2refer.com/ref.php?refId=239717
only_777 61

Re: Metal Gear Rising, Dead Space 3 demos go live

Postby StonecoldMC » 22 Jan 2013, 17:37

Want something to eat? Buy a Steak Bake.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby sibear » 22 Jan 2013, 17:59

I really enjoyed the Dead Space demo and their take on coop sounds really interesting. Might check out the coop tonight with my mate after Spartan Ops.
sibear 47

Postby gmcb007 » 22 Jan 2013, 18:01

only_777 wrote:Want demos? Pay Money!

Well hasn't that always been the way? It's been like that since the PS1 days.

Anyways, i'll give both a go. I'm quite curious about Rising and i'm intrested to see if DS3's SP has realy been improved for the better.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby KesMonkey » 22 Jan 2013, 18:14

Having just played the demo (only for a few minutes so far) of MGR, some problems are immediately apparent.
The free blade mode (which seems to be essential to gameplay) just doesn't work very well.

It works like this: Hold left trigger to enter free blade mode. Move left analogue stick to adjust your aim, and move the the right analogue stick to select the angle who wish to swing your blade. Release the right analogue stick to swing your blade.

The problems I'm encountering are these:
When I enter free blade mode, my aim immediately starts to move without me touching the left analogue stick. A larger dead zone here would solve this.
Half of the time that I release the right analogue stick, it does nothing. And that's when I'm standing still, not even fighting an enemy. Perhaps I'm releasing the right analogue stick incorrectly.

These problems are, for me, so great that I wasn't having any fun. At all.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby Barry316 » 22 Jan 2013, 18:30

KesMonkey wrote:Having just played the demo (only for a few minutes so far) of MGR, some problems are immediately apparent.
The free blade mode (which seems to be essential to gameplay) just doesn't work very well.

It works like this: Hold left trigger to enter free blade mode. Move left analogue stick to adjust your aim, and move the the right analogue stick to select the angle who wish to swing your blade. Release the right analogue stick to swing your blade.

When I enter free blade mode, my aim immediately starts to move without me touching the left analogue stick. A larger dead zone here would solve this.
Half of the time that I release the right analogue stick, it does nothing. And that's when I'm standing still, not even fighting an enemy. Perhaps I'm releasing the right analogue stick incorrectly.

Same for me. The parry system is iffy as to when it wants to work as well.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby gmcb007 » 22 Jan 2013, 18:31

Barry316 wrote:
KesMonkey wrote:Having just played the demo (only for a few minutes so far) of MGR, some problems are immediately apparent.

Same for me. The parry system is iffy as to when it wants to work as well.

Eh, doesn't sound it is worth downloading then.
gmcb007 63

Postby Mirglas » 22 Jan 2013, 19:18

I very rarely post here, but as MGR is the most impatient I have been for a game since the original (Xbox) Ninja Gaiden I'll take a few moments here:

The only immediate problem with the blade mode is the learning curve, it's a new mechanic and one that'll take getting used to and while you can precision aim with the right analogue stick, you can also use the face buttons to cut repeatedly, X for horizontal slash and Y for vertical -- precision aim is only really useful when you want to cut those precious left arms off and aim for extra points with various limbs, at which point it becomes a mini game where you need to take your time to aim precisely.

KesMonkey wrote:Half of the time that I release the right analogue stick, it does nothing. And that's when I'm standing still, not even fighting an enemy. Perhaps I'm releasing the right analogue stick incorrectly.

To cut after you've pulled the right analogue stick you need to let it go immediately almost like a flick. If you ease the right analogue stick back into neutral, Raiden returns to neutral; you'll begin to see why this is necessary after you've played more than a few minutes.

With regards to parrying it is very circumstantial and will take a bit of getting used to. Those saying things like "The parry system is iffy as to when it wants to work as well" are either panicking and parrying WAY too early, parrying too late, or, parrying in the wrong direction of the incoming attack, that being said, there is only one attack in the demo that seems to be iffy where the parry is concerned and that is the gecko's right-leg-roundhouse-sweep, the window of parrying is so small that it is almost broken.

The game hinges on parrying (more so than blade mode) so much so that Raiden is able to parry in the air to avoid those pesky Gecko jumps and stomps.
Mirglas 23

Postby pixellated » 22 Jan 2013, 19:39

Greetings all - quick question - are all you guys on xbox or has someone managed to d/load it from psn yet?
pixellated 6
New user

Postby El Mag » 22 Jan 2013, 19:46

pixellated wrote:Greetings all - quick question - are all you guys on xbox or has someone managed to d/load it from psn yet?

It's the 360 demo fella.

It should be on the American PS store later and on the European one tomorrow sometime.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby allygray69 » 22 Jan 2013, 21:05

well after playing the mgr demo im hooked. Loved it. Yes the controls took a little bit getting used to. Lost count how many times how many times I died on the mini boss at the end of the demo. But after watching a youtube video (this one to be exact http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh1ZLCTfW9k ) I managed to block successfully enough times to defeat it. Its not got the stealthy aspects of mgs but I loved it!
allygray69 57

Xbox Live: GrandTheftAlly
PSN ID: GrandTheftAli
Steam: allygray69

Postby sigourney beaver » 22 Jan 2013, 21:58

couriosity got the better of me with mgr and i enjoyed it but with all of the other games coming out one after the other i think i'll leave this until it comes down in price, ds3 was really good pre ordered mine now just need to play the co op
sigourney beaver 44

Postby sonic_uk » 22 Jan 2013, 22:07

Lets make a demo to get the maximum amount of people to try our game and get them interested in buying the full version upon release...then lets cut the audience in half by only giving access to those that paid for a subscription for a week.

Guess I'll be waiting a week then...
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby sammikid » 22 Jan 2013, 23:26

gmcb007 wrote:

If you're capable of looking over the fence, it hasn't been that way for a long time, on PC/PS3/Wii(?) and i'm guessing WII-U now as well.
There is no justification for not putting demos out free, as hard as you may try... it's just not cricket.
It also doesn't make sense to not allow your consumer base to try out games you WANT them to purchase on your console.
Stop living in the 90's
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby gmcb007 » 22 Jan 2013, 23:29

sammikid wrote:
gmcb007 wrote:

If you're capable of looking over the fence, it hasn't been that way for a long time, on PC/PS3/Wii(?) and i'm guessing WII-U now as well.
There is no justification for not putting demos out free, as hard as you may try... it's just not cricket.
It also doesn't make sense to not allow your consumer base to try out games you WANT them to purchase on your console.
Stop living in the 90's

You've misunderstood me, I know that, what I meant that it isn't a new pratice and quite frankly it's a shoddy one at that.
gmcb007 63

Next