to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony CEO suggests PS4 will release after next Xbox

Your comments on our articles.

"Why go first when your competitors can look at your specs and come up with something better?"

Kaz Hirai, the global chief executive of Sony, has suggested that the next generation PlayStation will not go on sale before Microsoft's Xbox 360 successor.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ingy » 21 Jan 2013, 17:04

They went second this gen' and kept telling us the ps3 was better, but was it?

Now the dust is beginning to settle there is little to nothing to choose between the rivals, in fact they're so alike it's been a bit dissapointing, hardly need to have both consoles, certainly performance wise it has been nothing but broken promises from sony, was the so called extra power really there?

Here's hoping the next round gives us a bit of diversity from the big two, but somehow i fear it's going to be another 'me too' as far as consoles go.......
ingy 63

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Jan 2013, 17:05

Anyone for a bar of Fruit and Nutcase?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Re: Sony CEO suggests PS4 will release after next Xbox

Postby Barry316 » 21 Jan 2013, 17:09

He doesn't look happy in that picture. It's the look of a man that has Susan Boyle standing in front of him licking cream off her own nipple.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby JOHNKARA » 21 Jan 2013, 17:12

Fascinating article below, from credible sources too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/d ... -console_4
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 46

Postby Itchy Robot » 21 Jan 2013, 17:21

Im probably going to buy whatever one comes out first just because im tired of this gen. I feel like i might not be alone on this too, so Sony need to seriously think about whether or not they want to be 2nd again.
Itchy Robot 29

Postby lifebrink » 21 Jan 2013, 17:22

I dont care if its 6 - 12 months later than the Next-Box, I just want them to get it right!

As a platform I prefer the Playstation 3 over the xbox. I dont get involved with the arguments about which is better I just prefer the PS. I had my Xbox elite for years and loved it... I got the PS due to the Blu Ray and it did everything the xbox did but played Blu Rays and also didnt need the Gold pass every 12 months.

So which ever comes out first I dont care, I will only be buying the next playstation. I also think that will apply to the majority of hard core gamers too! When I say hardcore gamers I mean the likes of us... the ones that participate in gaming sites and forums.

We all have a sub-conscious favorite and I cant see the playstation lovers getting the next xbox just because it comes out sooner!

Am I wrong or are we actually loyal to our gaming rig\brand?
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 61

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Jan 2013, 17:24

"Why go first when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?".

So you'll wait for MS to make there reveal first and look at there specs then Kaz?

Even if they do, I cant see them making wholesale changes to a machine that would have had years and years in the R&D labs already.

Could it be something lost in translation here?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby frazzerr » 21 Jan 2013, 17:28

I don't mind waiting for the PS4 like I did for the PS3 if it means I'm getting a superior peace of kit like I did this generation ..
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Postby Taus » 21 Jan 2013, 17:29

A friend works for another console manufacturer and he has seen the latest iteration of the new Sony and MS console both in terms of spec and form factor (apparently latest model PS is fairly bland, like a Sky + box, the new Xbx looked much better so I'm told)

Difficult to be specific without potentially straying into legal territory but think 3rd party developers and dev kits

If another console manufacturer has access then I'm pretty sure MS and Sony will be well aware of each other's specs as well

It'll be purely a business decision to go before, same time or after but, from a business standpoint, doesn't make much sense to repeat the experience of PS3 vs 360. I'm told there is a concerted effort at Sony to launch before or same time as MS

From what I have been told, Sony are currently evaluating their supply chain in order to identify the feasibility of an October release, ahead of the Nov MS launch, however, prevailing opinion in the company is they will not be able to manufacture the numbers for a global Oct launch, which maybe why Kaz is alluding to a post MS launch
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Jan 2013, 17:33

lifebrink wrote:I dont care if its 6 - 12 months later than the Next-Box, I just want them to get it right!

As a platform I prefer the Playstation 3 over the xbox. I dont get involved with the arguments about which is better I just prefer the PS. I had my Xbox elite for years and loved it... I got the PS due to the Blu Ray and it did everything the xbox did but played Blu Rays and also didnt need the Gold pass every 12 months.

So which ever comes out first I dont care, I will only be buying the next playstation. I also think that will apply to the majority of hard core gamers too! When I say hardcore gamers I mean the likes of us... the ones that participate in gaming sites and forums.

We all have a sub-conscious favorite and I cant see the playstation lovers getting the next xbox just because it comes out sooner!

Am I wrong or are we actually loyal to our gaming rig\brand?

I would say were loyal to the Games we like. Looking at Next Gen, I want to see Halo, Gears, Fable, Crackdown, Alan Wake, PGR and a good few others looking all nice and shiny and Next Gen.

I would imagine fans of the Playstation and its Games this Gen would feel the same.

Things like what your friends are playing on would also be a contributing factor.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby MrPirtniw » 21 Jan 2013, 17:34

ingy wrote:They went second this gen' and kept telling us the ps3 was better, but was it?

Now the dust is beginning to settle there is little to nothing to choose between the rivals, in fact they're so alike it's been a bit dissapointing, hardly need to have both consoles, certainly performance wise it has been nothing but broken promises from sony, was the so called extra power really there?

Here's hoping the next round gives us a bit of diversity from the big two, but somehow i fear it's going to be another 'me too' as far as consoles go.......

Agreed- I actually decided to bite the bullet and sell my PS3 the other day (a friends PS3 died on him after he over CoD'd it so I sold it to him). I'll get another one later down the line but as of now I'm simply not using it. I don't get much time to play the 360 that much anymore let alone another console that's pretty much identical to it.

I can't say I'm particularly excited for the next gen- not yet at least. Until I see some games that aren't just prettier versions of old ones I'll be hanging on to this gen a while longer.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 21 Jan 2013, 17:35

frazzerr wrote:I don't mind waiting for the PS4 like I did for the PS3 if it means I'm getting a superior peace of kit like I did this generation ..

dear dear, you still still believe that? :roll:
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 21 Jan 2013, 17:38

JOHNKARA wrote:Fascinating article below, from credible sources too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/d ... -console_4

Thanks for the link, it's slightly tempered my expectations for the next gen but i think that's a good thing as i find all the hype in the build up can sometimes end in disappointment.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby El Mag » 21 Jan 2013, 17:39

Whoever can get Shenmue 3 as an exclusive will get my money, love and first born named after them.

If nobody can then I suppose I'll get both like I did this gen. The amount of phone calls I've been getting recently telling me I've been mis sold PPI leads me to believe I'll be getting a windfall soon.
Last edited by El Mag on 21 Jan 2013, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby KrisaimUK » 21 Jan 2013, 17:40

ingy wrote:They went second this gen' and kept telling us the ps3 was better, but was it?

Uncharted 3 and The Last Of Us (what I've seen of it) says.....yes. BUT multi plat games are 60-40 better on 360. Exclusive games is where Sonys at. I'm looking forward to seeing a Next Gen Uncharted and GT.
KrisaimUK 32

Next