to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Atari US files for bankruptcy

Your comments on our articles.

Seeking to break free from troubled French parent company

The US arm of Atari has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy as it looks to detach itself from its debt-laden French parent.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Atari US files for bankruptcy

Postby RustySpoon80 » 21 Jan 2013, 12:20

Atari, Nintendo and Sega should join forces and create a new super console.
RustySpoon80 55

Re: Atari US files for bankruptcy

Postby ted1138 » 21 Jan 2013, 12:59

RustySpoon80 wrote:Atari, Nintendo and Sega should join forces and create a new super console.

Like some sort of video game "suicide pact"? :|
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 21 Jan 2013, 13:14

Sega and Nintendo yes!!!!! Atari are a pointless outfit who stopped being relevant in the 1980's

Remixed space invaders, frogger, outlaw.......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby nb_nmare2 » 21 Jan 2013, 13:26

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Sega and Nintendo yes!!!!! Atari are a pointless outfit who stopped being relevant in the 1980's

The 80's Atari and the modern Atari aren't the same company.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Barca Azul » 21 Jan 2013, 14:01

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Sega and Nintendo yes!!!!! Atari are a pointless outfit who stopped being relevant in the 1980's

Alone in the dark.....

They actually own a lot of IPs. Dating back to the golden days of the C64 and ZX Spectrum. They own right for Gremlin and Ocean amongst many others.

Ipad Jet pack, Wizball or Monty mole anyone?
Barca Azul 61

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 21 Jan 2013, 14:04

nb_nmare2 wrote:

The 80's Atari and the modern Atari aren't the same company.

Yeah i know, im a retro collector buddy, the point is the name, the brand are after nearly 20 years of passing from one company to another finally dead and buried, as a different company to the one in the 80's and also early 90's (jaguar had tremiel as one of the bosses at launch) using the brand name now to whack onto sub standard remakes or quite poor new releases tarnishes the original company legacy.

It should have been allowed its proper demise before infogrammes rescued it so that its legacy could have been properly preserved, now its seen as a stuttering old punch drunk boxer who's still trying to relive its glory days.

At least Sega bowed out gracefully once the dreamcast died, restructed itself into a modern publisher and let go of its rivalry with Nintendo to continue to exist on all formats, For a company like Atari who once had the world at its feet to whimper out like this, as little more than a brand name owned by people who never cared, now is beyond a crime to the industry.

Ahhhh Gremlin and Ocean, other great names lost to the march of corporate greed, im all upset now......Grrrrrr I loved Ocean........ Untouchables, head over heels, that original batman caped crusader game.......Oh man, good times!!!
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Skullet » 21 Jan 2013, 14:08

RustySpoon80 wrote:Atari, Nintendo and Sega should join forces and create a new super console.

I'd buy a MegaNes 7800.
Skullet 60

Postby lifebrink » 21 Jan 2013, 14:29

Skullet wrote:

I'd buy a MegaNes 7800.

What about a SuperDrive? lol MegaNes does sound better tho
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 61

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby RustySpoon80 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:53

lifebrink wrote:
Skullet wrote:I'd buy a MegaNes 7800.

What about a SuperDrive? lol MegaNes does sound better tho

How about a MegaNes 7800, with a SuperDrive BluRay add-on. We all love add-ons right. :D
RustySpoon80 55

Postby nb_nmare2 » 21 Jan 2013, 17:35

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Ahhhh Gremlin and Ocean, other great names lost to the march of corporate greed, im all upset now......Grrrrrr I loved Ocean........ Untouchables, head over heels, that original batman caped crusader game.......Oh man, good times!!!

What's ironic is that both these companies are actually part of the modern Atari ;) (although of course the names are no longer used).
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Barca Azul » 21 Jan 2013, 19:08

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
Ahhhh Gremlin and Ocean, other great names lost to the march of corporate greed, im all upset now......Grrrrrr I loved Ocean........ Untouchables, head over heels, that original batman caped crusader game.......Oh man, good times!!!

I feel your pain, ultimate were another and they were bought by US Gold, who were then bought by Eidos, now owned by Square Enix!
Barca Azul 61

Postby sonic_uk » 21 Jan 2013, 21:45

Poor old Atari, what a fall from grace, although as others have said this isn't the same company that pretty much kickstarted mass gaming or made those brilliant home consoles many moons ago. I miss those days...
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby Ali_ » 21 Jan 2013, 22:22

Skullet wrote:

I'd buy a MegaNes 7800.

Launching with Tempest 4000 and Club Drive 2?
Ali_ 56

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 21 Jan 2013, 23:30

Launching with Tempest 4000 and Club Drive 2?

ummmm

Congrats on being the only person who wants a sequel to CLUB DRIVE.......That game was terrible (he he), Tempest 4000 though made my winkle slightly happy, keep talking.....Keep talking!!!

Now i have had time to re-think i still wont miss Atari, a company not the same company but using the brand name is a company i care little for, the original team who once ruled the world have long since gone, to them i tip my hat, to the current crop i hope they get new jobs but that aside ho hum.

Also Where Gremlin and Ocean WERE once amazing companies their games belong in the past, not everything needs to be re-booted, in fact most stuff absolutely should not.

I would still buy a MegaNes 7800 though, it actually sounds awesome in theory right?
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby sonic_uk » 22 Jan 2013, 22:13

I can sum up Club Drive in two words..."ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT!"

That's the sound the powerballs make when you collect them, and they don't appear to do anything whatsoever. The only other moving object on the street is a tram you can drive right through, and although its supposed to be a "accurate representation", even back then, that looked nothing like San-Francisco!
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56