to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Blockbuster to axe 160 stores

Your comments on our articles.

Some 760 workers made redundant

Blockbuster is to close 129 stores across the UK as its administrator Deloitte begins its restructure of the embattled retailer.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Blockbuster to axe 160 stores

Postby Solm » 19 Jan 2013, 16:18

More closures when will it end.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 52

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Re: Blockbuster to axe 160 stores

Postby razors edge » 19 Jan 2013, 16:46

All the best to those concerned, and good luck out there.

Get yourselves down to Walkabout for your free burger.
razors edge 41

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 19 Jan 2013, 17:10

I imagine the first to close are the stores that were performing the worst or had leases that were just about to expire etc.

Its not a good situation at all, its going to get worse before anything gets better.
Megatrons_Fury 49

Postby fatherofthenoo » 19 Jan 2013, 17:27

If a business doesn't adapt to social change and consumer trends, then what does it expect? What irritates me is that hundreds more people are being thrown on the scrap heap because of a handfull of incompetent morons. There aren't more jobs for them to go to! What are these people supposed to do now?
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Audest_Oggust » 19 Jan 2013, 17:59

The UK must be behind the US. Here in the US, Blockbuster has been gone for a few years. No one goes to rental stores anymore because of Netflix and Red Box.
Video Game Design Blog: http://unbuildthegame.blogspot.com/
Audest_Oggust 53

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby roughtext » 19 Jan 2013, 18:17

Can't speak for other stores but our town Blockbuster is staffed by really good and enthusiastic staff. Always have time for people, bit of banter and a couple in particular are proper gamers. I think good staff will always find work,but its a shame the store has to go.
roughtext 46

Postby Agent75 » 19 Jan 2013, 18:45

Rental prices are a rip off, which is why they've gone to the wall. But the likes of Lovefilm and Netfix have finished them off. Tesco have jumped download bandwagon and I bet more will follow. I prefer Lovefilm by post.
Agent75 45

Postby divinebeetle » 19 Jan 2013, 19:02

Shame, used to enjoy browsing the box-sets and games on my way home.
divinebeetle 37

Postby shogunreaper » 20 Jan 2013, 11:45

fatherofthenoo wrote:If a business doesn't adapt to social change and consumer trends, then what does it expect? What irritates me is that hundreds more people are being thrown on the scrap heap because of a handfull of incompetent morons. There aren't more jobs for them to go to! What are these people supposed to do now?

What exactly could they have done to stop from having to close down stores?
shogunreaper 46

Postby onemanc » 20 Jan 2013, 14:04

Audest_Oggust wrote:The UK must be behind the US. Here in the US, Blockbuster has been gone for a few years. No one goes to rental stores anymore because of Netflix and Red Box.

Really? is that why there are over 1000 blockbuster stores in the USA, we also have Netflix, Love Film & Now Tv so no we are not behind the USA
onemanc 23
New user

Postby rbt2 » 20 Jan 2013, 14:19

I feel sorry for the staff about to lose their jobs but not for the company.
Before Blockbuster came along we had small independent shops usually run by one person, 2 at most but they were finished almost overnight by the video juggernaut.
Payback.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby BOYD1981 » 20 Jan 2013, 14:24

I really hope the one in my town stays open, I'm usually all for doing everything via a PC and the internet but movie streaming really just isn't something I'm keen on. I don't have a bad connection but I doubt it would be up to streaming a movie in blu-ray quality flawlessly either.

And I actually doubt it's services like LoveFilm and Netflix that have impacted store rentals, it's most likely a combination of cheap dvd prices and pre-owned and the fact that a great deal of movies these days are utter rubbish.
BOYD1981 47

Postby Kevin Murphy » 20 Jan 2013, 18:11

roughtext wrote:Can't speak for other stores but our town Blockbuster is staffed by really good and enthusiastic staff. Always have time for people, bit of banter and a couple in particular are proper gamers. I think good staff will always find work,but its a shame the store has to go.

I went to Blockbuster stores until they closed. Now, I usually walk past Redbox or Blockbuster Express because there's a line. You usually have to wait ten to fifteen minutes as people browse the selections. Yay for modern convenience!
Kevin Murphy 1
New user

Postby fatherofthenoo » 20 Jan 2013, 20:25

shogunreaper wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:If a business doesn't adapt to social change and consumer trends, then what does it expect? What irritates me is that hundreds more people are being thrown on the scrap heap because of a handfull of incompetent morons. There aren't more jobs for them to go to! What are these people supposed to do now?

What exactly could they have done to stop from having to close down stores?

Adapted to consumer trends and social change. But if you wanted more specific details, I charge by the hour :wink:

Look, we all know that when you run a business you have to be prepared to accommodate change. The heads at Blockbuster clearly assumed that the physical rental business was future proof and chose to ignore the increasing popularity of streaming, downloads, mail order rentals, etc.

That is no way to run an independent business and definitely not a chain, which hundreds of people rely on.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby El Mag » 20 Jan 2013, 21:08

rbt2 wrote:I feel sorry for the staff about to lose their jobs but not for the company.
Before Blockbuster came along we had small independent shops usually run by one person, 2 at most but they were finished almost overnight by the video juggernaut.
Payback.

We had two independent places here. One called the Cabin, that closed down about 5 years ago. I rented Final Fantasy 7 from there not realising I had no chance of getting off disc 1 let alone finish the t**t. And the other is called Tipple and Tape. That's still going but only because its main selling point is the cheap booze rather than films.

We used to have a bloke that would park outside and rent tapes out the back of his van as well. He'd get chased away or beat up nowadays but he was bloody good, despite renting us the first Ernest film I'd ever seen. It was Ernest Saves Christmas if I remember correctly.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83