to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

GAME keen to acquire HMV stores

Your comments on our articles.

Up to 45 locations reportedly considered as GAME management approaches HMV administrators Deloitte

UK video game retailer GAME has approached HMV administrator Deloitte over the possibility of acquiring HMV stores.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby slick loose » 17 Jan 2013, 21:30

Funny how GAME seem to think they are now in the green, it won't be long before a company buys GAME's shops once they go into administration...again.
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby fonjackerjon » 17 Jan 2013, 21:31

Haven't they got enough problems? please someone else buy them or blu rays and DVD will end up costing £40
fonjackerjon 37

Re: GAME keen to acquire HMV stores

Postby Barry316 » 17 Jan 2013, 21:33

I thought i read somewhere the owners of GAME owned HMV as well?

Can't see my local being one, they're only a few doors apart.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby kimoak » 17 Jan 2013, 21:35

I can see that working well. I don't see GAME lasting for a hell of a long time.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby flyfletch » 17 Jan 2013, 21:36

Barry316 wrote:I thought i read somewhere the owners of GAME owned HMV as well?

I could see my local Game moving into the HMV store, its over 3 floors, the Game store is next to nothing compared. Although where Game have suddenly found all this financial muscle is beyond me! :?
flyfletch 71

Postby Agent75 » 17 Jan 2013, 21:37

If GAME can't run its own stores, which are not as big as HMV's, can't see how they're going to pull it off. But HMV and GAME are very close when it comes to prices. As I said in another post, money people as I call them, they just don't get it. It doesn't matter if you're rich our poor, most people just won't pay the prices. Hunting for bargains is set in stone forever. If these stores don't back down, the consumer punishes them. Argos are rumoured to be going online only, but their prices will stay high. The UK will see the biggest crash ever this year and that includes a mix of a lot of things.
Agent75 48

Postby fatherofthenoo » 17 Jan 2013, 21:39

What an intelligent business decision! A company which recently went into administration, interested in buying a company which has just entered administration. There really is no hope for these guys, is there.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Oli- » 17 Jan 2013, 21:39

I would have thought that was the last thing they'd want to do having got rid of a load of Game stores up and down the country!
Oli- 25

Postby leucocyte » 17 Jan 2013, 21:40

Barry316 wrote:I thought i read somewhere the owners of GAME owned HMV as well?

for me, they're right beside each other.
leucocyte 54

Postby martinawatson » 17 Jan 2013, 22:16

I really hope they pull this off , very sad to see HMV go , but i would say that if they succeed then they really need to think how they can make HMV work , great to put "Game " in but the way the high street is changing wouldnt want to applaud GAME just to see it all go to s**t 2 years later.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby slamatron » 17 Jan 2013, 22:52

i cant imagine why they would want to buy hmv stores, they are at least 10 times the size of game, so 10 times the amount of overpriced stock to not sell :lol:

unless they do another game/gamestation thing and keep the hmv brand around if it works like that.
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby alan666 » 17 Jan 2013, 23:20

Game are revamping all their stores, i think i read somewhere it has just started the roll out of it, why don't you lot give GAME a chance ?

All i hear is

"the games are too expensive" - well it is a actual retail store so they CAN NEVER COMPETE WITH AMAZON.

"the shops are crummy" - they are working on this & are putting in wi-fi & demo units, more on interactivity in-store.

"the people working in the shops are idiots/etc" - i my local store they are very good, they know about games & are all themselves gamer's.

"GAME is rubbish i hate them i hope they die" - why don't you just sod off & die ?

Why don't you try & get behind GAME for once, you all go on about how sad that Comet, Jessops, Blockbuster, HMV etc are closing so why not at least try & support GAME, even if it is just going in to a local store to just have a look & see if anything catches your eye or just to get a DLC points card.

GAME is the last shop on the high street that sells games apart from Tesco & the supermarkets, are those better to buy games in, other than them being slightly cheaper the stores are crap & the people working there know ZERO about games.

Of course GAME are not out of the woods yet & they may still fail, but i do not want to see that to happen & i am sure most gamer's do not either, it just seems to be too cool to jump on the 'die GAME die' bandwagon.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby thesnowman86 » 17 Jan 2013, 23:29

Why is every article concerning game so negative? The fact they have had a successful, profitable year after streamlining their business is great news for the games industry as a whole. Ask any publisher/developer and they would be saying the exact opposite of what everyone here is saying, wishing administration on everyone. Crazy

Besides for pre owned games it is by far the cheapest place and their recent trade in prices have been great, Dragons Dogma? £23 trade in. Ninja Gaiden 3? £21 trade in. Wouldn't get anywhere near this elsewhere and you can buy the games elsewhere new for less. In terms of buying stuff Assassins Creed 1/2/Brotherhood/Revelations for £20 springs to mind. Fallout New Vegas Collectors edition? £4.99. I freely admit for new releases the prices are too high but for me I'm glad to see them doing well
thesnowman86 40

Postby theideal » 17 Jan 2013, 23:34

alan666 wrote:Game are revamping all their stores, i think i read somewhere it has just started the roll out of it, why don't you lot give GAME a chance ?

All i hear is

"the games are too expensive" - well it is a actual retail store so they CAN NEVER COMPETE WITH AMAZON.

"the shops are crummy" - they are working on this & are putting in wi-fi & demo units, more on interactivity in-store.

"the people working in the shops are idiots/etc" - i my local store they are very good, they know about games & are all themselves gamer's.

"GAME is rubbish i hate them i hope they die" - why don't you just sod off & die ?

Why don't you try & get behind GAME for once, you all go on about how sad that Comet, Jessops, Blockbuster, HMV etc are closing so why not at least try & support GAME, even if it is just going in to a local store to just have a look & see if anything catches your eye or just to get a DLC points card.

GAME is the last shop on the high street that sells games apart from Tesco & the supermarkets, are those better to buy games in, other than them being slightly cheaper the stores are crap & the people working there know ZERO about games.

Of course GAME are not out of the woods yet & they may still fail, but i do not want to see that to happen & i am sure most gamer's do not either, it just seems to be too cool to jump on the 'die GAME die' bandwagon.

- They pushed out all local independent competition by using their buying power to undercut them, then, when they were gone, ramped up their prices. They now complain about supermarkets doing similar things to them.
- They're harming the people that gave them a business in the first place by consistently pushing used over new, then wonder why not a single publisher wanted to help them out of the s**t when they very easily could have, and saw them sat back laughing.
- From personal experience of shopping at numerous stores around the country, their staff are generally clueless f**king morons that don't seem to know anything about gaming past COD or Halo, with only a few exceptions.

So Game can suck my dick.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby Samurai-Don » 18 Jan 2013, 00:23

fonjackerjon wrote:Haven't they got enough problems? please someone else buy them or blu rays and DVD will end up costing £40

Yeah I doubt that blu rays and DVD will end up costing £40 should HMV shut down.

alan666 wrote:Game are revamping all their stores, i think i read somewhere it has just started the roll out of it, why don't you lot give GAME a chance ?

Because;

- The price is expensive, the pre-owned and website pricing isn't any better.
-The website is crap, there is no option to cancel my pre-order and I had to contact them.
- Terrible customer service, it took them 2 week to cancel my pre-order and I had to chase them up.
- They have very limited selection of games and I can never find the game that I want.
- It was a dinosaur that refused to adapt with the time.
-They killed Game Station.
- Tried to force people to pre-order Black and White 2 just so the customer could download a free event pokémon.
- They don't price match or even bother give the customers any reason to shop there.

Quite frankly GAME drove away their customers and I wouldn't miss them should they close down.
Samurai-Don 21

Next