to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

DayZ creator 'very angry about The War Z'

Your comments on our articles.

Dean Hall admits to frustrations with zombie shooter clone

DayZ creator Dean Hall has admitted he's "very angry about The War Z" and its glaring similarities to his game.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

DayZ creator 'very angry about The War Z'

Postby EvilDog77 » 17 Jan 2013, 21:10

He bitches about the similarity of the names, but they both borrowed from World War Z so he should probably stfu.
EvilDog77 49

Re: DayZ creator 'very angry about The War Z'

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 17 Jan 2013, 21:22

Oh yes because The War Z creators should totally be blamed for how ignorant his friends and family are.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby darry » 17 Jan 2013, 21:29

How the hell are you guys making him out to be the bad guy here? Unbelievable!
darry 54

Postby slamatron » 17 Jan 2013, 22:44

darry wrote:How the hell are you guys making him out to be the bad guy here? Unbelievable!

exactly what i was thinking, i would feel the same way in his place i mean .they could've picked a different name at the very least but i guess they were banking on the dayZ hype.
slamatron 50

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby Uzi77 » 17 Jan 2013, 23:24

slamatron wrote:
darry wrote:How the hell are you guys making him out to be the bad guy here? Unbelievable!

exactly what i was thinking, i would feel the same way in his place i mean .they could've picked a different name at the very least but i guess they were banking on the dayZ hype.
I agree with you guys. His work will suffer now because of the arrogant t**t who tried to cash in on his team's idea. Copy cats after an original I can tolerate, sometimes they improve, sometimes they fail, but most people will know they weren't the first. But officially releasing first, will now damage the reputation of the original work.
Uzi77 54

Postby NigeNige Toure » 17 Jan 2013, 23:38

Pretty douche move i say on creators of "War Z" part
War.. War never changes...
NigeNige Toure 12

Xbox Live: NigeNige Toure
PSN ID: Hitman_856
Steam: nigeljhunt

Postby liveswired » 18 Jan 2013, 00:09

I fully agree with the DayZ creator here.

I am an avid gamer and I initially thought War Z was the actual release of the standalone game that the DayZ devs were working towards - that was until I spotted the consumer outrage on Steam and done a quick Google search on the game.

Atleast Gameloft change their game titles enough to differentiate.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 50

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby Ganja_Ninja » 18 Jan 2013, 00:47

Who the hell mistakes WarZ with DayZ? Illiterate f**ks that's who. Also there's nothing wrong with a bit of competition.
Ganja_Ninja 45

Postby liveswired » 18 Jan 2013, 01:27

Ganja_Ninja wrote:Who the hell mistakes WarZ with DayZ? Illiterate f**ks that's who. Also there's nothing wrong with a bit of competition.

Kind of disagree - We all heard at some point or the other that the DayZ developers were working towards a standalone release - it was pretty natural to assume that WarZ was that release. Infact even the game description on Steam made it sound like it was exactly that.

It is clear from the name that the team involved set out from the off to deceive consumers. Also WarZ lifted assets directly from DayZ?

And before someone pops on claiming WarZ was in development before DayZ that is complete and utter fabricated PR lies.

Theft and deception - now what's wrong with a bit of competition?
^_* ^_^
liveswired 50

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby TheMopFromMars » 18 Jan 2013, 14:22

Sergey Titov also made Big Rigs. I've said it before but I just find it quite funny.
TheMopFromMars 44

Postby Moribundman » 18 Jan 2013, 14:37

TheMopFromMars wrote:Sergey Titov also made Big Rigs. I've said it before but I just find it quite funny.

I am reliably informed that early reviewers were blinded by the cess they sucked from that game too.
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby Moribundman » 18 Jan 2013, 14:41

1. Has anyone seen "Indie Game"? Its a great documentary about the amking of Fez, Braid and SuperMeatBoy for XBLA. Loved it. Right up there with King of Kong. It's on Netflix, go watch it.

2. I would love to see a similar sort of documentary made by a journalist about this whole debacle. Or just Sergy Titov in general, perhaps made in a hands off non-judgemental Jon Ronson style that lets him bury himself without the need for clever editing, and the audience can decide.
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby gmcb007 » 18 Jan 2013, 15:46

So he should be. The War Z is a nothing more than a shameless copy that was rushed out to steal the success that DayZ had generated. It would be like releasing a mobile game called 'Upset Pidgeons' in response to another popular game.

Look how rushing paid off for The War Z.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it