Splinter Cell: Blacklist release delayed to August

Your comments on our articles.

Ubisoft Toronto sequel gets confirmed date

Ubisoft has announced that the Splinter Cell: Blacklist release date will fall on August 20, 2013.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Splinter Cell: Blacklist release delayed to August

Postby JOHNKARA » 16 Jan 2013, 18:19

Hopefully this is a case of "quality games need extra time"
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 47

Re: Splinter Cell: Blacklist release delayed to August

Postby ChrisTypeR » 16 Jan 2013, 18:40

JOHNKARA wrote:Hopefully this is a case of "quality games need extra time"

Not so sure, Splinter Cell has been going downhill fast since the first one - shame really as this could have taken the mantle from Syphon Filter - MGS is in a class of its own in this genre.
ChrisTypeR 37

Postby Drusus » 16 Jan 2013, 18:45

I imagine it is, making the decision to move this game to later is going to be a costly one so I doubt it was something they were happy to do. It must come down to quality. Coming out after E3 this year is going to be tough on some games.

Once the next gen has been shown getting any kind of excitement about a current gen title will be almost impossible. That's why Sony are desperate to get The Last of Us (which is arguably one of the best looking games in this entire gen) out before they talk PS4 and Splinter Cell isn't even looking that special.
Drusus 59

Postby Black Mantis » 16 Jan 2013, 19:03

ChrisTypeR wrote:

Not so sure, Splinter Cell has been going downhill fast since the first one - shame really as this could have taken the mantle from Syphon Filter - MGS is in a class of its own in this genre.

Aren't Chaos Theory and Pandora's Tomorrow considered better than the original?

Shame this is happening, as it was one of the few titles I would definitely playthrough before GTAV drops.
Black Mantis 67

Postby gillri » 16 Jan 2013, 19:27

indeed, the 2 sequels are considered better, the first one hasnt aged well at all

Chaos Theory is still the peak of this franchise
gillri 50

Postby MrPirtniw » 16 Jan 2013, 20:17

gillri wrote:indeed, the 2 sequels are considered better, the first one hasnt aged well at all

Chaos Theory is still the peak of this franchise

Yup- and I'd go as far as to say the peak of the stealth genre.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 16 Jan 2013, 20:25

gillri wrote:Chaos Theory is still the peak of this franchise

I agree. Chaos Theory was the last great Splinter Cell game. I enjoyed Double Agent and Conviction but they didn't really stand out as great games to me. I've not really liked what I've seen of Blacklist so far. Spies VS Mercs is the only thing I'm interested in, it will probably end up being a standard shooter though if it follows the action focus of Blacklist's single player.
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Postby metalgearsnake » 16 Jan 2013, 20:35

I just hope they pull spies vs. mercs of well; wheres the bloody gameplay of it!!?
metalgearsnake 30

Postby fat_tony2001 » 16 Jan 2013, 21:17

Actually slightly glad. I'm really looking forward to the game, but I've still got Hitman, Resi 6, Far Cry 3, AC3 and X-Com to get to, so I need all the time I can get before getting into something else new!
Wha's in cherge?
fat_tony2001 47

Xbox Live: Obi TW0

Postby sonic_uk » 16 Jan 2013, 22:09

Jesus, not sure about ambitious but this has got to be the most delayed Splinter Cell yet. I hope its good, been waiting a long time for this (since the awful Gears Of Sam Fisher I mean er, Conviction). Lets hope the time is being spent on Qa and not adding in tacked on, pointless Multiplayer modes no-one wanted or asked for.

gillri wrote:Chaos Theory is still the peak of this franchise

Chaos Theory was good, but I really enjoyed the first one, and I loved the levels in Pandora too.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby buttonbasher » 16 Jan 2013, 22:30

Smart move to delay I think. March/April/May was getting too full. This allows more free space and more time to finish polishing up. Hopefully it will be one of the games that send off this generation with a bang. Can't wait!
buttonbasherelite.blogspot.co.uk
buttonbasher 9
New user

Postby Spider82 » 16 Jan 2013, 23:17

ChrisTypeR wrote:

Couldn't agree less! Its changed, granted, but they are still AAA games that no one should miss. Can't wait for Blacklist.
Spider82 37

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 17 Jan 2013, 00:57

I'm with Spider, I loved Conviction can't wait for this (though now I'll have to bloody wait) Some games evolve/innovate, which many seem to crave, but there are so many games that do change and get battered (DmC, MGS, Dirt, Resi etc) I'm not saying they are all good but no wonder some devs are wary about changing the formula.

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby TheBusterMan » 17 Jan 2013, 02:33

When they start making the main character look younger,or give them a facelift to fit their 'key demograph' it's never a good sign.Also,it's not the same without Michael Ironside (think that's his name) doing the VO.And Chaos Theory was the best one.
TheBusterMan 49