Blockbuster UK 'to enter administration'

Your comments on our articles.

Entertainment retailer follows HMV in appointing administrator

The UK arm of entertainment retailer Blockbuster has entered administration, the company has confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby lifebrink » 16 Jan 2013, 15:37

To the cockey little prick that was arsey with me 6 years ago in the Leigh branch of Blockbuster.... haha I told you I would win!

It costs so much to rent films and go to the cinema these days im not surprised! I love goin to the pics, love my films but the last time me and my girl went it cost us 36 quid! Granted we had a nachos and some ben and jerrys but near 40 quid for a Tuesday night... It cant be sustained
Last edited by lifebrink on 16 Jan 2013, 16:34, edited 2 times in total.
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 63

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby The_Hun1 » 16 Jan 2013, 15:37

The only thing i can about this, is it's not a surprise really, the american arm filled for chapter 11 last year and with the advent of love film and now net flicks, most of their business has been lost, shame used to love going to the video store to rent the latest film. But its not been the same since dvd came out, they didnt adapt or look like adapting anytime soon.

Shame for the people who in the eyes of the fecking tories will go from workers to scroungers now that they might have to claim benefits to get by on.
Freedom is more than idea, it's a way of life and if you don't agree then move to a country that dosn't have it!!!!
The_Hun1 66

Re: Blockbuster UK 'to enter administration'

Postby Acesbomb » 16 Jan 2013, 15:46

Don't worry, HMV and Blockbuster will be bailed out. Oh wait, they are not banksters.

In other news as the UK economy begins to collapse JP morgan and Goldman Sachs profits rise sharply.

Meanwhile the UK bond market is at a 300 year high. Experts insist it is not a bubble and everyone should shut up and put their heads back in the sand.
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 53

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Jan 2013, 15:49

Fur fuxsake :cry: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 16 Jan 2013, 15:49

Hardly surprising, it should have been them that pioneered online or by-post rentals but they didn't bother to try. Not only that, when those services took off they didn't even come up with a competitor service. I mean wth were they doing?
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby ensabahnur » 16 Jan 2013, 15:54

TBH i think we all saw this one coming, with streaming services or Sky OnDemand giving us films in HD at the same time as BB for less of the cost and none of the hassle it was pretty obvious that they'd be going tits up.

And there's gonna be nobody to save them, HMV have a chance of being saved but BB are gone. Unless there's an army of budding Randy Marsh's out there.

I will miss their chilli tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip though. :cry:
Last edited by ensabahnur on 16 Jan 2013, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby Nimron Tang » 16 Jan 2013, 16:04

Acesbomb wrote:Don't worry, HMV and Blockbuster will be bailed out. Oh wait, they are not banksters.

In other news as the UK economy begins to collapse JP morgan and Goldman Sachs profits rise sharply.

Meanwhile the UK bond market is at a 300 year high. Experts insist it is not a bubble and everyone should shut up and put their heads back in the sand.

A new report on Sky News has suggested adding water and cement to the sand to protect you from any urge you may have to remove your head when your a*se is being attacked.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby silversun_111 » 16 Jan 2013, 16:05

lifebrink wrote:To the cocker little prick that was arsey with me 6 years ago in the Leigh branch of Blockbuster.... haha I told you I would win!

It costs so much to rent films and go to the cinema these days im not surprised! I love goin to the pics, love my films but the last time me and my girl went it cost us 36 quid! Granted we had a nachos and some ben and jerrys but near 40 quid for a Tuesday night... It cant be sustained

Not the sharpest of folk in Leigh. Last time I went in the Leigh branch was when God of War 3 came out, and some gal couldn't find it and tells me its not on record as being out that day. Turns out she hadn't unpacked it as I went later on and it was on the shelf. Luckily I only ever nip in when I need to go to the Hospital, which is rare, thankfully. :D
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby Acesbomb » 16 Jan 2013, 16:11

Nimron Tang wrote:
Acesbomb wrote:Don't worry, HMV and Blockbuster will be bailed out. Oh wait, they are not banksters.

A new report on Sky News has suggested adding water and cement to the sand to protect you from any urge you may have to remove your head when your a*se is being attacked.

:lol:
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 53

Postby cult » 16 Jan 2013, 16:16

Its almost like David Cameron and Nick Clegg finally got an old Delorean working and the noughties and nineties are starting to disappear.
By the time the coalition are through Margaret Thatcher will have become a revisionist hero compared to the butcher of England Cameron.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Jan 2013, 16:18

cult wrote:Its almost like David Cameron and Nick Clegg finally got an old Delorean working and the noughties and nineties are starting to disappear.
By the time the coalition are through Margaret Thatcher will have become a revisionist hero compared to the butcher of England Cameron.

Not in Scotland she won't :wink: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby ensabahnur » 16 Jan 2013, 16:23

StonecoldMC wrote:
cult wrote: Margaret Thatcher will have become a revisionist hero

Ain't that a fact!! We'll still be telling our kids horror stores about Mad Maggie by the time the next ice age comes around which, judging by the recent shift from mild to bloody freezing, is next week.
Last edited by ensabahnur on 16 Jan 2013, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby m4v3r1cK89 » 16 Jan 2013, 16:24

"During this time gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster's trade-in scheme will be honoured towards the purchase of goods."

That's more admirable than HMV at least. Apparently there was a 90% chance they'd be going into administration (according to the comments on the article below), yet they kept on selling the gift vouchers - knowing they couldn't honour them.

It's a shame though, and I can see my local Xtravision (among others) going the same way.

This guy's decision to take HMV on over here, legally dubious as it may be, is the kind of reaction that may split opinions - you've got to respect the determination though!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 54747.html
m4v3r1cK89 19

Xbox Live: LumpyCustard123

Postby The_Hun1 » 16 Jan 2013, 16:27

StonecoldMC wrote:
cult wrote:Its almost like David Cameron and Nick Clegg finally got an old Delorean working and the noughties and nineties are starting to disappear.

Don't worry us in Scotland have our Shovels at hand to bury the bitch when she croaks it (not long to go now) na na hey hey goodbye.....sing it :D
Freedom is more than idea, it's a way of life and if you don't agree then move to a country that dosn't have it!!!!
The_Hun1 66

Postby Boab Dreeps » 16 Jan 2013, 16:29

The demise of HMV and Blockbuster is as surprising as the demise of gas powered street lights.
No tears shed here.
No tears for the staff either. If you are one of them, don't take this the wrong way. This is a blessing.
I worked for HMV for 5 years ending in 2001. It was the worst employment experience of my life. I've worked in sh1t places before and after that, but HMV really went the extra mile in the 'treat staff like dirt' department.
Pretty good at ripping off customers too.

The day I got sacked is one I will always be thankful for.

Is Andy Pritchard still a store manager?
Boab Dreeps 14

Next