to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo to 'unify' portable and home console research teams

Your comments on our articles.

R&D teams merge for 'sharing of know-how and to optimise development'

Nintendo is preparing to merge together its handheld and home console R&D teams, a new report claims.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nintendo to 'unify' portable and home console research teams

Postby Audest_Oggust » 16 Jan 2013, 11:24

"George Harrison, the former Nintendo of America's head of corporate communications, recently confirmed to CVG that the company begins to plan for future consoles very soon after the latest one is released."

They hardly have a choice. When the new Xbox and PlayStation are here, the Wii U will be virtually useless beyond the handful of exclusives.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 56

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Re: Nintendo to 'unify' portable and home console research t

Postby Solm » 16 Jan 2013, 11:39

Audest_Oggust wrote:"George Harrison, the former Nintendo of America's head of corporate communications, recently confirmed to CVG that the company begins to plan for future consoles very soon after the latest one is released."

They hardly have a choice. When the new Xbox and PlayStation are here, the Wii U will be virtually useless beyond the handful of exclusives.

I'm not sure I agree, didn't Nintendo manage to outsell the 360 and PS3 even though the wii had last gen hardware.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby Balladeer » 16 Jan 2013, 11:42

Hardly a "handful" of exclusives either.

I have no idea what this means. I'd wager only a few people at Nintendo really know.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 16 Jan 2013, 11:51

Makes total sense to me.

By having everyone under the same banner heading in the same direction is always a good thing development wise, should allow for more connectivity between systems, will probably save money in certain areas of research and development.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Agamon » 16 Jan 2013, 13:30

Solm wrote:
Audest_Oggust wrote:"George Harrison, the former Nintendo of America's head of corporate communications, recently confirmed to CVG that the company begins to plan for future consoles very soon after the latest one is released."

I'm not sure I agree, didn't Nintendo manage to outsell the 360 and PS3 even though the wii had last gen hardware.

I cant see the Wii U succeeding. The big N pulled a lucky stroke with the Wii due to its low cost and the novelty of motion control. Most people are past motion control and shovel ware. What Wii U owners will face is the recycling of all of this generations xbox and PS3 games.....other then those exclusives like Zelda (which i'd love to play) it looks like a grim future.

That said, and to go off on a massive tangent, I own a Kinect and I look forward to the future xbox's improved version. Voice control like in mass effect 3 is excellent. /end tangent
Agamon 38

Postby Balladeer » 16 Jan 2013, 14:06

Well that's a bit of a contradiction.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Simon Carlin » 16 Jan 2013, 14:36

I can't shake the feeling that someone, somewhere, was fed information they wanted to hear, over reality.

The Wii brand was strong for a small set of very particular circumstances, the DS as well.

Nintendo have been resting on their laurels but only time will tell how the coming gen will play out.

Got to give it a couple of years.

Look at the 3DS. On the one hand Luigi's Mansion is coming out... almost two years after it was revealed and stood as one of the strongest titles for the device - so, typical Nintendo, dangle an IP carrot in order to sucker the fans... yes, I was one such sucker. But, we're getting a new Pokémon, the cashcow (it is... it really, really is*), and that'll blow the 3DS right out there as it looks different enough to bring old fans back into it.

Personally I'd like to see Nintendo as a software developer only - I truly think their games would work better on other devices that isn't heavily pregnant with a, and I do not like using the word but can't think of a better one, gimmick.

A gimmick which forces the hands of the developers to play it Nintendo's way.

I would just like Nintendo games offered to me in the way I like to play video games, using methods I've grown up with and are perfectly fine, thank you very much.

*I'll say this now, Nintendo have not yet done the obvious - a full 3D Pokémon RPG. I mean, this is the most obvious game idea going, fans have pulled their hair out at the thought that the rich Pokémon law, the hundreds of monsters, the world that's been created and to date, there has not yet been one unifying game. A Pokéxtravaganza, so to speak.

I was thinking about this the other day, I would bet my two tasty plums that that game is being strategically held back. Pokémon saved Nintendo's behind once, and it really did, if it wasn't for Pokémon then we would definitely not have had a Wii... but anyway, throwing it out there, the time the Nintendo are really in the s**t you will see this seminal game.

The ultimate Pokémon, no holds barred online sharing Pokémon... perhaps not an MMO... that would be a bit much, but just imagine...

It's there, on the drawing board... it's Nintendo's ace card.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Bambis Dad » 16 Jan 2013, 16:03

Isn't the problem with a fully online Pokemon RPG over standalone games simply the cost?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby liveswired » 16 Jan 2013, 20:31

Their only aim is a race to use the lowest possible resolution. :wink:
^_* ^_^
liveswired 51

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby 360_Fan » 17 Jan 2013, 00:28

Generally companies will combine departments to cut costs. They always spin it like this saying it's more efficient ect when in reality they just want to lay people off.
360_Fan 61

Postby stormchasing1000 » 20 Jan 2013, 19:46

said before the moment nintendo stop make hardware console handheld and console i stop,being a gamer its simple u by nintendo games coz they are on nintendo consoles,with nintendo's technololgy and its history if nintendo was sold on xbox it wouldn't be the same,its bit like going to waitrose to buy a nice british steak only to find its tesco tat steak in the wrong shop.ninendo since 1990.if nintendo and sega merged to form one and ninty games appear on it fine.both are giants and have the history and pedigee for the next 10 years there is no reason why the big N will stop making consoles.
stormchasing1000 44