to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

HMV no longer accepting gift cards or vouchers

Your comments on our articles.

But buyers can claim their money back, financial journalists says

HMV is no longer accepting gift cards or vouchers as the UK retailer prepares to enter administration today.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

HMV no longer accepting gift cards or vouchers

Postby EvilDog77 » 15 Jan 2013, 11:44

HMV's prices are even worse than Game's. The prices they stick on DVD box sets are outrageous. They only have themselves to blame for going under.
EvilDog77 50

Re: HMV no longer accepting gift cards or vouchers

Postby timtimity » 15 Jan 2013, 12:24

Game might be expensive, but at least you can use your reward points for something useful. HMV's points were possibly the most pointless points scheme on the high street.
timtimity 29

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Jan 2013, 12:25

EvilDog77 wrote:HMV's prices are even worse than Game's. The prices they stick on DVD box sets are outrageous. They only have themselves to blame for going under.

Last thing I bought was breaking bad series 1-3 for 20 quid.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Agent75 » 15 Jan 2013, 12:35

timtimity wrote:Game might be expensive, but at least you can use your reward points for something useful. HMV's points were possibly the most pointless points scheme on the high street.

GAME thinks it's survived the axe, but I bet they'll go to the wall like HMV soon.
Agent75 48

Postby Bambis Dad » 15 Jan 2013, 12:41

Considering Christmas has just passed surely it must be a criminal offence to have been selling them if they weren't going to accept them three weeks afterwards?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby goldbricks » 15 Jan 2013, 13:08

Considering the amount of big retailers who have entered administration, surely people should be prepared for the fact they cannot use gift vouchers when a business enters administration. Plus HMV warned people, before Christmas, that this might happen. Its really the customers fault to buy a voucher from a struggling business and not use it before the inevitable happens.

On another note, surely HMV saw this coming long ago. They haven't met consumer expectations in terms of value service and price. Their business model needed changing years ago, its too late now. Though I will be sad to see them go.
goldbricks 28

Postby Bambis Dad » 15 Jan 2013, 13:11

goldbricks wrote:Considering the amount of big retailers who have entered administration, surely people should be prepared for the fact they cannot use gift vouchers when a business enters administration. Plus HMV warned people, before Christmas, that this might happen. Its really the customers fault to buy a voucher from a struggling business and not use it before the inevitable happens.

On another note, surely HMV saw this coming long ago. They haven't met consumer expectations in terms of value service and price. Their business model needed changing years ago, its too late now. Though I will be sad to see them go.

I wasn't aware of the bolded part and retract my statement/question. I'm still sure it is against the law to sell such gift cards even if you warn the customer if you believe you are going into administration. I'd look it up but I'm full of cold and want a hug.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby goldbricks » 15 Jan 2013, 13:36

[/quote] I wasn't aware of the bolded part and retract my statement/question. I'm still sure it is against the law to sell such gift cards even if you warn the customer if you believe you are going into administration. I'd look it up but I'm full of cold and want a hug.[/quote]

There probably is something technically illegal about it. But I assume when a business enters administration there probably isn't much that can be done about it. Essentially if the worst comes to worst and the place crumbles. You'll be lucky to get a hug with a cold. Last week my family deserted me and left me to die in case they caught it off me...
goldbricks 28

Postby andy3050 » 15 Jan 2013, 13:38

Really hope they don't go under, the high street in my town is already dead due to store closures.

Some of the best movies I've bought have been the ones that I've got when I could only find 2 films I wanted in the 3 for £20 quid deals. Plus box sets aren't bad priced the last 2 I bought was the sopranos for £30 and friends for £40 (both complete collections)

It's a shame that a tax dodging Internet giant and supermarkets can bring down a once great institution :(
andy3050 49

Postby leprechaun75 » 15 Jan 2013, 13:38

goldbricks wrote:Considering the amount of big retailers who have entered administration, surely people should be prepared for the fact they cannot use gift vouchers when a business enters administration. Plus HMV warned people, before Christmas, that this might happen. Its really the customers fault to buy a voucher from a struggling business and not use it before the inevitable happens.

a friend of mine was giving out only yesterday that they wouldn't give him a refund for a sealed DVD with a receipt under 30 days old. by law he is due a refund but the crafty fcuks gave him a voucher instead, which is now about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. some sources are saying that the staff only found out on the news this morning. whatever the story is, they have already taken the money from people in good faith and they are obliged to redeem the voucher for it's value.
I was given a gamestop voucher for Christmas and I used it today, putting the 50 quid down as a deposit for GTA V. will they honour my deposit if they get into the same trouble as HMV?
I asked the guy in Gamestop what the story was about GTA, when it was due out. he said on their system it was marked in for a March release and then he said that was changed to May.
leprechaun75 41

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Jan 2013, 13:43

Bambis Dad wrote:
I wasn't aware of the bolded part and retract my statement/question. I'm still sure it is against the law to sell such gift cards even if you warn the customer if you believe you are going into administration. I'd look it up but I'm full of cold and want a hug.

I would guess it probably isn't against the law. I'd imagine there's fine print saying it doesn't have to accept it under certain circumstances and the rules change when companies enter administration. Something along the lines of giving credit to hmv which you can then be refunded on by the administrators once the money is dolled out but in reality the amount you get back is almost nothing.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby goldbricks » 15 Jan 2013, 14:14

leprechaun75 wrote:

a friend of mine was giving out only yesterday that they wouldn't give him a refund for a sealed DVD with a receipt under 30 days old. by law he is due a refund but the crafty fcuks gave him a voucher instead, which is now about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. some sources are saying that the staff only found out on the news this morning. whatever the story is, they have already taken the money from people in good faith and they are obliged to redeem the voucher for it's value.
I was given a gamestop voucher for Christmas and I used it today, putting the 50 quid down as a deposit for GTA V. will they honour my deposit if they get into the same trouble as HMV?
I asked the guy in Gamestop what the story was about GTA, when it was due out. he said on their system it was marked in for a March release and then he said that was changed to May.

Your friend was screwed over, by the sounds of it. I would push my case to them. That has to be illegal. I heard that GTA V was due April 6th.
goldbricks 28

Postby allygray69 » 15 Jan 2013, 15:16

Hope they dont go under. That will be another empty shop on Aberdeen's Union Street. Union street is dying, with the old Game shop lying empty, zavvi and mothercare occupied with crappy £1 shops.
allygray69 57

Xbox Live: GrandTheftAlly
PSN ID: GrandTheftAli
Steam: allygray69

Postby Mini-Nev » 15 Jan 2013, 18:50

I've seen a lot of people talking about how HMV is going under because of the rise of online shopping and digital downloads. That is bullsh*t HMV are going down for one reason only, their pathetic pricing. Some of their prices are robbery!
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Postby leprechaun75 » 16 Jan 2013, 11:33

Mini-Nev wrote:I've seen a lot of people talking about how HMV is going under because of the rise of online shopping and digital downloads. That is bullsh*t HMV are going down for one reason only, their pathetic pricing. Some of their prices are robbery!

Did you guys hear what happened in HMV in Limerick (Ireland) Yesterday? a gang load of customers went in and picked whatever goods they wanted to the value of their vouchers and gift cards, and together they all went up to the tills and handed the vouchers to the staff ,saying "here's my money" and walked out of the store with their goods. so many people did it, that they had to close the doors to stop more people doing the same.
leprechaun75 41