'A lot of families rely on pre-owned games'

Your comments on our articles.

Are the days of cheap, second-hand games coming to an end?

On this week's mailbox we've got Simon Millington, who's feeling a little unsettled by rumours suggesting Sony will impliment technology to lock out used games in the next PlayStation.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Malmo » 12 Jan 2013, 17:27

When it comes down to it, all games are the work of their respected developers and without those developers there are no games. Developers are struggling to stay in business so either they need to get something out of the pre-owned market, or the pre-owned market has to stop. I do however think that if pre-owned sales were to cease, that flexible pricing has to come into effect. This £39.99 (and increasing) RRP is ridiculous for games that are clearly not of the same quality as the 'big games'. Personally i'd prefer a system like EA's online pass, where a small fee can be paid to unlock a pre-owned game. that way shops can still run a slightly re-structured pre-owned business, and developers are guaranteed to get something from the sale.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Re: 'A lot of families rely on pre-owned games'

Postby timewarp1 » 12 Jan 2013, 17:31

Maybe Sony patented it to troll in the future.
timewarp1 46

Postby Itchy Robot » 12 Jan 2013, 17:48

if your paying 60 pounds for a game your paying way to much, and it doesn't matter about pre owned games or not, a games price goes down after time regardless. Games like borderlands 2 dishonored and Far Cry 3, and assassins creed 3 have all pretty much halved in price over a couple of months. If pre owned games come to an end you will stil be able to buy cheap games there's just going to be no middle man now.
Itchy Robot 29

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 12 Jan 2013, 17:54

Now Sony is telling us we have to be online in order to play a game we have just paid fifty to sixty pounds for.

:shock: Where the hell is this guy shopping? All my new games cost around £15 unless I buy day one but with the lack game industry regulation we get shafted and ripped off with unfinished products so that risk of day one is so rare.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby cult » 12 Jan 2013, 18:15

ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby sjc1017 » 12 Jan 2013, 18:40

It should be against the law to make it impossible to pass games. You buy the product and you should be able to do as you wish with it, install it on multiple machines, give it to someone else, or sell it. These multinational companies make way too much money anyway and they will always exploit everyone they can. The thing is, games will always be made, so that argument about their not being economic is crap since they will just shift margins in accord with their need to make money. I wrote a book and get about £1 per copy and the publisher gets the rest. As an artist you don't really care about making money out of your labour, you just want people to engage with what you have laboured to produce.
sjc1017 2
New user

Postby Charlie Bell » 12 Jan 2013, 18:59

I have to say that since I started buying games online, I don't think I've ever bought second hand from a store. And the reason is simply that online pricing is too competitive with high street stores, even when comparing to used prices. I can usually find the game cheaper online, if not equal, unless its a game whose preowned price has slumped to a few pounds.

I think the days of preowned sales have long been numbered, especially from looking at the stock in my local CEX store, and its only a matter of time, for whatever reason, before it meets its demise. It would be sad to see a high street gaming store go under, but if they are failing to remain competitive then it is inevitable.

My only problem with the developers and manufacturers controlling this situation, is that it then hands power to them to maintain higher retail prices if there are no cheaper alternatives to contend with. The PSP Go is a perfect example of this, when there was no alternative to buying from the PSN store, the prices of games were extortionate and in no way resembled those of the store bought hard copies.
Charlie Bell 51

Postby rbt2 » 12 Jan 2013, 19:11

Shouldn't those families who rely on pre-owned games rely on food more than playing on consoles?
Or appearing on The Jeremy Kyle Show?
Or The D.S.S?
Chav scum.
Buy new or don't buy!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby El Mag » 12 Jan 2013, 19:18

rbt2 wrote:Shouldn't those families who rely on pre-owned games rely on food more than playing on consoles?
Or The D.S.S?
Chav scum.
Buy new or don't buy!

So nicking is alright or is that frowned upon as well?
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Skullet » 12 Jan 2013, 19:32

You only need to look at the current price of Wii U games to see what will happen next gen, sure the price will eventually come back down, but if Sony and MS do start to crack down on the used game market then its bad times ahead for the games industry.

The sad truth is greed is destroying the entertainment industry and they can't even see it, they would rather blame piracy or attack the very people who buy their products than actually rein in their own greed. But much like the music industry the games industry will find if you try to rip people off for too long they will eventually cut out the middle man and just take your stuff free of charge.
Skullet 62

Postby rbt2 » 12 Jan 2013, 19:34

El Mag wrote:
rbt2 wrote:Shouldn't those families who rely on pre-owned games rely on food more than playing on consoles?
Or The D.S.S?
Chav scum.
Buy new or don't buy!

So nicking is alright or is that frowned upon as well?

It's only ok if you get away with it.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby Ninja Sheep762 » 12 Jan 2013, 19:38

THIS IS IMPORTANT! I'm fairly sure that the actual patent is both better and worse. The good news is that you don't have to be online - the patent is for a device that marks the disk for use on that console and nine other, without the use if Internet. This means that there is no online registration, or connection to the Internet, required. However, it does mean you can't buy used games, lend games, or even play them at a friends - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/r ... hand-games
Ninja Sheep762 29

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 12 Jan 2013, 19:38

The current pre-owned market is damaging the games industry. It's gotten out of control and places like CEX, who put absolutely nothing back into the games industry, are not much more than high-street pirates. CEX may has well just burn games and sell those.

Be glad to see the back of it.
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby beastie » 12 Jan 2013, 19:59

I bought the disk, I can take it to a friends, sell it, or cover it it jam if I want to.
beastie 54

Postby alan666 » 12 Jan 2013, 20:02

surely locking the sale of pre-owned games would be against some sort of EU competition laws ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next