to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Newell: Big companies won't stay relevant

Your comments on our articles.

New age of gaming moving too fast for the old giants, says Valve exec

Large games corporations built on traditional production models will not remain relevant in the new age of gaming, Valve president Gabe Newell has warned.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Welsh Jester » 11 Jan 2013, 18:41

Gabe hurry up and announce Source 2, Half Life 3.. and Left 4 Dead 3.. 1 awesome single player and 1 awesome multiplayer game.
Welsh Jester 46

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Re: Newell: Big companies won't stay relevant

Postby stealth » 11 Jan 2013, 18:43

oh so valve is going under then?
stealth 47

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 11 Jan 2013, 18:44

Sorry but that is just b*****ks, across nigh on every market there are gigantic companies flexing and changing to suit a more consumer centric marketplace, gaming is no different. As for thinking marketing will dwindle in time this chap must be some kind of crazy dude.

I'll eat humble pie once EA cease trading.......

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
KK-Headcharge78 60

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Drusus » 11 Jan 2013, 18:53

Well it's an interesting thought, I think to be honest the larger companies will do the same as the large film companies, either embrace the Indie way of doing things and package up much smaller products in larger quantities and see which strike it rich or go to providing experiences the Indie devs cannot.

Indie games and smaller games companies are taking extraordinary risks and travelling new paths that the larger companies won't risk at the moment and more and more often it's paying off.

We as gamers want bigger worlds and more freedom to create our own experience with a game. Ironically the more time you spend on graphics the less you have to actually build larger worlds which is the problem large companies face at the moment.

They will either learn to care less about graphics and think more about the game experience itself or focus entirely on graphics and show us graphics the smaller devs can't.

There is room in the industry for both types of content to stay relevant, I think the term 'gamer' will become less relevant as the everyday average Joe playing CoD and Fifa is now a gamer then what the hell am I? I'm not sure the bigger companies will become less relevant, more that they will be relevant to a different market and our needs as 'hardcore gamers' or whatever we'll be called will seem irrelevant to those companies.

That's a lot of text but it's a tricky subject to explain my position on it, I have no idea how it will go but it's an exciting time to be a gamer and I'm sure we'll end up wherever the good games are. See you all there for biscuits and multiplayer.
Drusus 56

Postby Bambis Dad » 11 Jan 2013, 18:58

If Coca Cola can actively murder trade unionists with any attempt to report it or fear of any consequences just brushed under the carpet then I think firms like Nintendo are the little man here. In terms of gaming you have to say that the companies, no matter their size, will only offer you what they think you want.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 19:14

Bambis Dad wrote:If Coca Cola can allegedly murder trade unionists with any attempt to report it or fear of any consequences just brushed under the carpet then I think firms like Nintendo are the little man here. In terms of gaming you have to say that the companies, no matter their size, will only offer you what they think you want.

i think you meant this.

I think most will change and those that dont wont.
Barca Azul 59

Postby IplayVideogames » 11 Jan 2013, 20:16

Oh look, it's this Peter Griffin talking s**t again. Give me a break.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Postby Bambis Dad » 11 Jan 2013, 20:23

Barca Azul wrote:
Bambis Dad wrote:If Coca Cola can allegedly murder trade unionists with any attempt to report it or fear of any consequences just brushed under the carpet then I think firms like Nintendo are the little man here. In terms of gaming you have to say that the companies, no matter their size, will only offer you what they think you want.

i think you meant this.

I think most will change and those that dont wont.
Possibly, I should thank you for the correction. Still they murdered those poor shites all the same. Afterall the accusation is out there and they won't face trial to settle the matter so it is free to be discussed legally.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby dwhlufc » 11 Jan 2013, 20:26

Bambis Dad wrote:If Coca Cola can actively murder trade unionists with any attempt to report it or fear of any consequences just brushed under the carpet then I think firms like Nintendo are the little man here. In terms of gaming you have to say that the companies, no matter their size, will only offer you what they think you want.

If you don't mind send me a PM, I'm rather intruiged by this post. I know nothing about these allegations.

dwhlufc 74

Postby flyfletch » 11 Jan 2013, 20:30

I assume hes including Valve and steam in this then? Nothing special about them to keep them relevant when it comes down to it (in my opinion). For some reason i find it hard to take what he says seriously, even though i think i should and give him the respect he probably deserves....

Still they (Valve) are responsible for Half Life and Left 4 Dead two of my fave games ever....so maybe i should just agree....
Go ahead and add me on PS3, 360 & Wii U, please note! Weirdo's will be blocked immediately :)
flyfletch 68

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch
Wii Code: Wii U code Fletch76
Steam: Flyfletch1976

Postby Ali_ » 11 Jan 2013, 20:48

How will they become irrelevant, is he going to eat them all?
Ali_ 54

Postby slothfull9 » 11 Jan 2013, 20:57

It's probably something to do with beards, obviously the next big thing.
slothfull9 43

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 11 Jan 2013, 21:05

Makes a lot of sense....

As digital distribution continues its rise and traditional boxed product slips away eventually and im talking 5-10 years down the line everybody will have to present their games on the same store front on whatever games networks are around then. Unless the big publishers pay mega bucks for slightly bigger info window boxes it pretty much makes it a level playing field.

Its a way away but everything right now points to this as the future, not a bad thing, not a good thing, just a thing.

No interest arguing with people over broadband speeds that exist now or prices of digital stuff now, you cant argue current prices and climate against future innovation and market trends.
Megatrons_Fury 49

Postby shev » 11 Jan 2013, 21:07

Oh, someone is sharing their thoughts on the future. Quickly bash him and call him an idiot! :evil: /s

His thoughts aren't really new. It has always been adapt or die in the corporate world.
shev 46

Postby Drusus » 11 Jan 2013, 21:13

shev wrote:Oh, someone is sharing their thoughts on the future. Quickly bash him and call him an idiot! :evil: /s

His thoughts aren't really new. It has always been adapt or die in the corporate world.

I didn't, I tried to start a conversation but people only usually react to the short negative comments, like you did.
Drusus 56

Next