to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U game sales 'far behind launch levels for Gamecube and

Your comments on our articles.

Software selling at half the pace of previous Nintendo systems

Wii U software sales are "struggling a bit" in the US, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U game sales 'far behind launch levels for Gamecube and

Postby stealth » 11 Jan 2013, 17:39

"North American Wii U unit sales during the console's first full month failed to match those set by the Wii in December 2006, though the new system has generated more revenue in the same time frame."

No system has ever hit those wii numbers, none will again

Remember these analysts dont track digital sales. Its like a big 0. So these numbers from these analysts are best ignored. Ex. people are buying 3-6 digital games and thats tracked like a big old 0
stealth 47

Re: Wii U game sales 'far behind launch levels for Gamecube

Postby flyfletch » 11 Jan 2013, 17:47

This is fantastic lol Its as if CVG are posting articles just to get on Stealth's tits today lmao! This has been hilarious today, its just one after the other lol
flyfletch 71

Postby flyfletch » 11 Jan 2013, 17:48

stealth wrote:"North American Wii U unit sales during the console's first full month failed to match those set by the Wii in December 2006, though the new system has generated more revenue in the same time frame."

Remember these analysts dont track digital sales. Its like a big 0. So these numbers from these analysts are best ignored. Ex. people are buying 3-6 digital games and thats tracked like a big old 0

What digital sales? You would need to be insane to pay online prices for Wii U software (full games), and as i said in the other thread, the eShop is a barren wasteland!
flyfletch 71

Postby karkify » 11 Jan 2013, 17:49

Maybe because everyone already owns all the 3rd party titles? Of which the majority of the Wii-U catalogue is.
karkify 50

Postby Audest_Oggust » 11 Jan 2013, 17:56

Amongst my friends, acquaintances, and colleagues, literally no one is interested in the Wii U. Some of which didn't know it had even released yet, including those that are big into video games. You wouldn't know it was released unless you looked for it online or went to the store, but there have been little-to-no advertisements for the product, and it hasn't been marketed nearly as well as the original Wii. Perhaps the lack of popularity and sales is because of its lack of marketing? Just a thought.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 56

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Jan 2013, 17:59

I wont post a GIF of anyone eating a bucket of popcorn, although I would like you all to visualise it. VISUALISE!

:wink:
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Audest_Oggust » 11 Jan 2013, 17:59

karkify wrote:Maybe because everyone already owns all the 3rd party titles? Of which the majority of the Wii-U catalogue is.

That's precisely what has kept me from purchasing the console. There are only one or two exclusive games that appeal to me on the console, and the rest are all either shovelware or 3rd party titles that released on other consoles already.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 56

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby dwhlufc » 11 Jan 2013, 18:00

flyfletch wrote:This is fantastic lol Its as if CVG are posting articles just to get on Stealth's tits today lmao! This has been hilarious today, its just one after the other lol

I actually thought that. He's generating them tonnes of hits and he apparently hates the place!

Long live cvg and all thanks to stealth! :lol:
dwhlufc 76

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 11 Jan 2013, 18:02

I like you Stealth i really do but no amount of rose tinted glasses are going to hide the damp squib that is the WII U launch.

Analysts who's data you so easily dismiss contribute towards market share prices and consumer confidence, thats how the world works, it doesnt matter to you and i completely get it but in reality on the grand scale it most definately does, Nintendo themselves spend millions on think tanks and market analysis, all big companies do.

Im not writing the console off, it holds nearly zero interest for me right now but im sure they will make it worthwhile to me eventually, much like the Vita finally has for me and the 3DS almost has.

The best thing about it is that Nintendo can always survive with the core audience because they know how to make us all buy essentially the same damn games over and over again and you need a Nintendo console to play stuff like Mario and Zelda, plus add to that the ability to move on hardware price means im sure theres going to be a lot of ups and downs through the year.

However.....

If we get to 3rd/4th quarter and theres no Nintendo specific industry agreed triple A must have games then its going to be hard for them, very very hard.

Launching a console for the past few years has been hard, consumers are quite frankly bored of the status quo, a bit cheaper or poorer that they were in 2005-2008 and the industry is in a massive transitional phase, finding its new identity in the ever changing market.

Im going to sit on the fence for the whole WII U debate, its not because of anything else other than knowledge of whats gone before and concern for where we are heading now.

I'd better be heading back in as its getting dark.....and they come out at night......Mostly.............
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Spider82 » 11 Jan 2013, 18:02

More news about the less than spectacular Wii U. Its not the best console in the world and not many people are buying it. We get it.
Spider82 37

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 18:03

stealth wrote:"North American Wii U unit sales during the console's first full month failed to match those set by the Wii in December 2006, though the new system has generated more revenue in the same time frame."

Im not so sure, people are ready for new Xbox for a long time and some PS as well, id put money on MS if it has decent launch tittles and stock availability.
Barca Azul 62

Postby stealth » 11 Jan 2013, 18:06

Megatrons_Fury wrote:I like you Stealth i really do but no amount of rose tinted glasses are going to hide the damp squib that is the WII U launch.

Analysts who's data you so easily dismiss contribute towards market share prices and consumer confidence, thats how the world works, it doesnt matter to you and i completely get it but in reality on the grand scale it most definately does, Nintendo themselves spend millions on think tanks and market analysis, all big companies do.

Im not writing the console off, it holds nearly zero interest for me right now but im sure they will make it worthwhile to me eventually, much like the Vita finally has for me and the 3DS almost has.

The best thing about it is that Nintendo can always survive with the core audience because they know how to make us all buy essentially the same damn games over and over again and you need a Nintendo console to play stuff like Mario and Zelda, plus add to that the ability to move on hardware price means im sure theres going to be a lot of ups and downs through the year.

However.....

If we get to 3rd/4th quarter and theres no Nintendo specific industry agreed triple A must have games then its going to be hard for them, very very hard.

Launching a console for the past few years has been hard, consumers are quite frankly bored of the status quo, a bit cheaper or poorer that they were in 2005-2008 and the industry is in a massive transitional phase, finding its new identity in the ever changing market.

Im going to sit on the fence for the whole WII U debate, its not because of anything else other than knowledge of whats gone before and concern for where we are heading now.

I'd better be heading back in as its getting dark.....and they come out at night......Mostly.............

I like you to but analysts who are always wrong using false numbers, isnt any way to get hits for a site.

@fletch its not a barren wasteland. ive already bought 3 indie titles, and 1 full title dd only

do you know how thats tracked?

But I guess the wii u is getting the stanard hazing all systems get. Not angry just pointing it out
stealth 47

Postby dwhlufc » 11 Jan 2013, 18:07

StonecoldMC wrote:I wont post a GIF of anyone eating a bucket of popcorn, although I would like you all to visualise it. VISUALISE!

:wink:

I keep thinking of porkies, does that count?
dwhlufc 76

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 18:14

stealth wrote:
I like you to but analysts who are always wrong using false numbers, isnt any way to get hits for a site.

@fletch its not a barren wasteland. ive already bought 3 indie titles, and 1 full title dd only

But I guess the wii u is getting the stanard hazing all systems get. Not angry just pointing it out

I always think of market analysts and glorified soothsayers

and makes me think of this from Blackadder

Blackadder: I seek information about a Wisewoman.
Young Crone: Ah, the Wisewoman... the Wisewoman.
Blackadder: Yes, the Wisewoman.
Young Crone: Two things, my lord, must thee know of the Wisewoman. First, she is... a woman. And second, she is...
Blackadder: Wise?
Young Crone: You do know her then?
Blackadder: No, just a wild stab in the dark which is, incidentally, what you'll be getting if you don't start being a bit more helpful. Do you know where she lives?
Barca Azul 62

Postby stealth » 11 Jan 2013, 18:16

Barca Azul wrote:
stealth wrote:

I always think of market analysts and glorified soothsayers

and makes me think of this from Blackadder

Blackadder: I seek information about a Wisewoman.
Young Crone: Ah, the Wisewoman... the Wisewoman.
Blackadder: Yes, the Wisewoman.
Young Crone: Two things, my lord, must thee know of the Wisewoman. First, she is... a woman. And second, she is...
Blackadder: Wise?
Young Crone: You do know her then?
Blackadder: No, just a wild stab in the dark which is, incidentally, what you'll be getting if you don't start being a bit more helpful. Do you know where she lives?

I think of them like the village idiots of the game industry. Good for a laugh, but never correct about anything because they arent gamers and dont use correct data half the time
stealth 47

Next