Secret World studio confirms closures, restructuring

Your comments on our articles.

Funcom will continue to focus on existing games and make smaller MMOs

The Secret World developer Funcom has announced plans to restructure the company, resulting in studio closures and expected layoffs.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Secret World studio confirms closures, restructuring

Postby rivariad » 11 Jan 2013, 17:37

sh.t games and sh.t company
rivariad 46

Re: Secret World studio confirms closures, restructuring

Postby jukkiz » 11 Jan 2013, 20:04

By the way that "30% increase in sales" means 70.000 is 30% of all boxes sold. So third of all box sales comes from that one month after going B2P.

There really is no reason not to try TSW at the moment. Pick it up and go nuts. It's a great game, might require some getting used to tho (no classes, no levels) and it requires more thinking to play than your average game.
But if you feel lost, ask for help in gen chat or on TSW forums, there's lots of helpful folks who don't mind showing new players how everything works.

So keep an open mind and try it out. Amazing atmosphere, amazing storyline, really top-notch missions and no grinding. Take your time, look around and enjoy yourself.

Oh and remember to keep your Bible handy. And prepare to learn some arameic. Some of the (optional mind you) investigation missions can be quite... challenging.
jukkiz 42

Postby sh4dow83 » 12 Jan 2013, 00:45

When I read this, I thought "FINALLY!"
It was so painful to see a studio that made one of my favorite adventure games ever focus only on MMORPGs... Every time I read something about The Secret World, I thought to myself "What a damn waste of talent".
It's a shame it has come to this but I can't say I don't feel a little schadenfreude for them abandoning one of my favorite franchises in favor of MMORPGs.
sh4dow83 44

Postby KMakawa » 12 Jan 2013, 16:36

sh4dow83 wrote:When I read this, I thought "FINALLY!"
It was so painful to see a studio that made one of my favorite adventure games ever focus only on MMORPGs... Every time I read something about The Secret World, I thought to myself "What a damn waste of talent".
It's a shame it has come to this but I can't say I don't feel a little schadenfreude for them abandoning one of my favorite franchises in favor of MMORPGs.

Which franshise, Dreamfall?? Thats actually coming back - there is going to be a Kickstarter for Dreamfall Chapters in the coming days/weeks.

In any case, dont be so assumptious of The Secret World, it is not a waste of talent at all and is quite possibly one of the biggest and strongest IPs for an MMO in recent years, the story, voice acting and cinematics is simply amazing for a MMO, the amount they can do with it - is unlimited. Combat isnt all that well but with a animation update in the next few months, thats resolved too.

And this restructuring doesnt at all affect the operation of the Secret World, it merely changes how Funcom itself operates.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic