to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

NPD: 22 percent market decline in December 2012

Your comments on our articles.

Total video game sales plunged in North America; Wii launch stronger than Wii U's

Total video game sales in North America fell 22 percent in December 2012, compared with figures in 2011.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

NPD: 22 percent market decline in December 2012

Postby stealth » 11 Jan 2013, 01:39

the 3ds sold 1.25 million this month.

If it can turn around any system can
stealth 47

Re: NPD: 22 percent market decline in December 2012

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 09:02

Releases were poor for me the last 3 months for a Christmas run up. Was the first year where I struggled to put something I really wanted on my Christmas list.
Barca Azul 61

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Jan 2013, 10:34

I don't get how new hardware is released onto the market but software continues to be down month on month to last year.

More 360's, PS3's Wii's and Wii U's out there but software is always down?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Skullet » 11 Jan 2013, 12:33

"Total industry sales came in at $3.21 billion in December 2012 compared with $3.10 billion in December 2011."

Either your figures are the wrong way around or you're using the word "decline" wrong.
Skullet 60

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 13:49

StonecoldMC wrote:I don't get how new hardware is released onto the market but software continues to be down month on month to last year.

More taxes, less disposable income and less interest to part with it perhaps, other products and digital.

Releases were poor last year, im expecting way better this year, not including new hardware. There are some big hitters and decent looking games on this years horizon, providing they are not delayed.
Barca Azul 61

Postby Toasted_PSP » 11 Jan 2013, 17:19

Barca Azul wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:I don't get how new hardware is released onto the market but software continues to be down month on month to last year.

More taxes, less disposable income and less interest to part with it perhaps, other products and digital.

Releases were poor last year, im expecting way better this year, not including new hardware. There are some big hitters and decent looking games on this years horizon, providing they are not delayed.

Not to mention that developers / publishers see their customers as cash cows and have been attacking them to bleed every penny they can from them.

DLC, Online passes, multiple preorder bonuses from different stores, GOTY editions, yearly releases, the same game been released in a different skin, tacked on multiplayer modes, hardly any new IPs.

It no wonder gamers are apprehensive about buying games. The last release day game I bought was Uncharted 3 and I doubt there will be many, if any I buy in the next 12months as I would rather wait for the inevitable GOTY complete edition or the price to be cut in half a few weeks after release. As I used to pad out my years gaming buying used titles the attack on preowned sales have also had an effect on how many games I buy.

The industry is slowing killing itself through greed IMHO.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 17:27

I very rarely buy on day one, although I have Pre ordered GTA V. I generally wait a few months and pick things up cheap.

I got Hitman for 18 quid, you cant go wrong with prices like that. Its also why i dont feel the need to sell games either. I may give them to someone i Know though.
Barca Azul 61