to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Xbox 360 sells 1.4 million units in December

Your comments on our articles.

US sales remain healthy

Microsoft shifted 1.4 million Xbox 360 units in the US during December, according to the latest NPD Group report.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Xbox 360 sells 1.4 million units in December

Postby 360_Fan » 11 Jan 2013, 01:18

In total, Americans spent $1.27 billion on Xbox hardware, games and accessories.

Still going strong. Good to see. I wonder if we will see another price cut soon?
360_Fan 61

Re: Xbox 360 sells 1.4 million units in December

Postby Agent75 » 11 Jan 2013, 01:35

360_Fan wrote:In total, Americans spent $1.27 billion on Xbox hardware, games and accessories.

Still going strong. Good to see. I wonder if we will see another price cut soon?

I wonder how many of these consoles are replacements? I wonder why it's taken people so long to join the Xbox 360 bandwagon, as it's been on the go for 7 years or so? I've had 5 consoles, 4 of which have conked out due to the typical faults, my 5th console is going OK (latest high gloss black model). Can't see there being a price cut if it's selling well. But I think by now, it should be £99.99 without a hard drive. It'll probably drop in price closer to the release of the Xbox 720, which won't play Xbox 360 games. But the latest matte black models come with cheap casing, they look like dodgy replicas from China. GTA 5 will boost sales, not forgetting Red Dead Redemption 2, if it's not been canned for the Xbox 720. I think Forza 5 will be heading for the Xbox 720, rather than the Xbox 360.
Agent75 48

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 11 Jan 2013, 01:39

What a horribly written wall of text!

Sales for all the big 3 consoles are winding down now. I'm getting excited for this years announcements!
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Postby Drusus » 11 Jan 2013, 02:16

NEO_SUPERMAN wrote:
Sales for all the big 3 consoles are winding down now. I'm getting excited for this years announcements!

I know what you mean, we're all booking time off for E3 at the moment. I am so flippin excited. It's been too long. I'm just so happy at the moment. Come June it'll be time to watch some conferences and get preordering. We're going to get new toys! Wooooo! 151 days!
Drusus 58

Postby Shadmeister » 11 Jan 2013, 02:40

Worryingly - if the sales are doing so well, why release a new console ?.

Microsoft may delay the new XBOX to ensure extended return on the current generation console.

Regards,

Shadmeister.
Shadmeister 48

Postby TheLastDodo » 11 Jan 2013, 03:34

Agent75 wrote:I wonder why it's taken people so long to join the Xbox 360 bandwagon, as it's been on the go for 7 years or so?

I can only speak for myself.

I got my PS3 in 2008, this year (ok 2012) I decided to get a 360 because:

A. Console was finally cheap enough (160 quid @ amazon).
B. It had loads of games I was interested in, in 1st/3rd party exclusives and XBLA titles.
C. The majority of the Xbox games I wanted to try were also really cheap.

While everyone else is begging for the next gen I'm making my way through all the best exclusive content thd 360 has to offer.

I've got Gears 3, Alan Wake, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Skyrim, Halo's, Fallout 3, all the quality XBLA stuff then any 3rd party stuff that was better on 360 like Bayonetta, Bioshock, Orange Box to keep me busy.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby 360_Fan » 11 Jan 2013, 04:37

Agent75 wrote:
360_Fan wrote:In total, Americans spent $1.27 billion on Xbox hardware, games and accessories.

I wonder how many of these consoles are replacements? I wonder why it's taken people so long to join the Xbox 360 bandwagon, as it's been on the go for 7 years or so? I've had 5 consoles, 4 of which have conked out due to the typical faults, my 5th console is going OK (latest high gloss black model). Can't see there being a price cut if it's selling well. But I think by now, it should be £99.99 without a hard drive. It'll probably drop in price closer to the release of the Xbox 720, which won't play Xbox 360 games. But the latest matte black models come with cheap casing, they look like dodgy replicas from China. GTA 5 will boost sales, not forgetting Red Dead Redemption 2, if it's not been canned for the Xbox 720. I think Forza 5 will be heading for the Xbox 720, rather than the Xbox 360.

Why do you keep buying them if you hate them so much? Interesting.
360_Fan 61

Postby billysastard » 11 Jan 2013, 06:01

TheLastDodo wrote:

B. It had loads of games I was interested in, in 1st/3rd party exclusives and XBLA titles.

While everyone else is begging for the next gen I'm making my way through all the best exclusive content thd 360 has to offer.

I've got Gears 3, Alan Wake, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Skyrim, Halo's, Fallout 3, all the quality XBLA stuff then any 3rd party stuff that was better on 360 like Bayonetta, Bioshock, Orange Box to keep me busy.

you really should try mafia 2 on the 360, its vastly superior to the ps3 version.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby metallicorphan » 11 Jan 2013, 07:01

TheLastDodo wrote:
Agent75 wrote:I wonder why it's taken people so long to join the Xbox 360 bandwagon, as it's been on the go for 7 years or so?

Try out Dead Rising 1,really is a cool game..i am just about to start it again and then finally play DR2 that i never got around to

If you like JRPGs,i highly recommend
Lost Odyssey(still the best RPG this gen IMO)
Blue Dragon
Infinite Undiscovery

and Forza 4(for Tracks based) or Forza Horizon(for Open World based) if you like Driving games(Forza 4 edges it because of the Top Gear content for me)
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 09:05

Impressive figures again, also makes me wonder if they will rush a new console out! Although im doubting they will drop the 360 like they did the Xbox when they bring something new out.
Barca Azul 62

Postby richomack360 » 11 Jan 2013, 09:33

Xbox360 was by a very enjoyable console with some very good games on it (my favourite was still my Mega Drive) and to be fair I still think there is more to this system - alright there is a ceiling with the level of graphics (yawn) that can be displayed / generated - but developers are producing some good things for it and have been for a period.. which is the standard for a console cycle - the best always comes last !

But for me, the Xbox360 is the last console I will buy, my enjoyment of the industry died when Halo 4 became dull...after a week.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Jan 2013, 09:57

richomack360 wrote:Xbox360 was by a very enjoyable console with some very good games on it (my favourite was still my Mega Drive) and to be fair I still think there is more to this system - alright there is a ceiling with the level of graphics (yawn) that can be displayed / generated - but developers are producing some good things for it and have been for a period.. which is the standard for a console cycle - the best always comes last !

But for me, the Xbox360 is the last console I will buy, my enjoyment of the industry died when Halo 4 became dull...after a week.

You let one game do that?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Jan 2013, 10:17

The Yanks do like there 360's.

Pretty amazing numbers for an 8 year old console, but with the Black Friday deals there would have been some cracking offers out there.

Im just counting down to the real announcements this year.

Bring on the new hardware :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby flyfletch » 11 Jan 2013, 10:22

richomack360 wrote:Xbox360 was by a very enjoyable console with some very good games on it (my favourite was still my Mega Drive) and to be fair I still think there is more to this system - alright there is a ceiling with the level of graphics (yawn) that can be displayed / generated - but developers are producing some good things for it and have been for a period.. which is the standard for a console cycle - the best always comes last !

Really ? 1 game did this? If your any sort of gamer, when the new Xbox and PS are released you won't be able to help yourself ;-)
flyfletch 71

Postby Barca Azul » 11 Jan 2013, 10:29

flyfletch wrote:

Really ? 1 game did this? If your any sort of gamer, when the new Xbox and PS are released you won't be able to help yourself ;-)

I think the issue is the games though. I think it more about tired IP's and probably ones that have more frequent releases. If a new game of an old IP comes out on new hardware, it needs to be different and better, not just a bit shinier!

Like films, this Gen in general like films, has seen a lot of sequels and way fewer new IPs compared to the gen before. There have been some new classics created, but others have seen series completely rinsed!
Barca Azul 62

Next