Harrison reveals new 'digital only' Microsoft studio, Lift L

Your comments on our articles.

New Xbox exec wants to bring together 'the most incredible talent ever seen in a start-up'

Lift London, Microsoft's new Soho-based studio, will now be focused on creating content for tablets and cloud services, as well as the nurturing of burgeoning talent.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Harrison reveals new 'digital only' Microsoft studio, Lift L

Postby moogiesboy » 10 Jan 2013, 17:15

One day everybody will be forced to game on the cloud and after that someone will realize that what people really want is to have a disc and a box. That bright spark will make mint.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Re: Harrison reveals new 'digital only' Microsoft studio, Li

Postby beemoh » 10 Jan 2013, 18:52

moogiesboy wrote:One day everybody will be forced to game on the cloud and after that someone will realize that what people really want is to have a disc and a box. That bright spark will make mint.

iTunes says hi.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby shadowsblaze » 10 Jan 2013, 19:39

moogiesboy wrote:One day everybody will be forced to game on the cloud and after that someone will realize that what people really want is to have a disc and a box. That bright spark will make mint.

It's a good thing that Nintendo are one generation behind everyone else then. :wink:
shadowsblaze 55

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 10 Jan 2013, 19:47

beemoh wrote:

iTunes says hi.

Exactly.

Seriously, if were up to some of the tools in here we wouldn't have gotten past loading our games from cassette tape.
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby damoxuk » 10 Jan 2013, 19:59

Your both wrong - choice is key. Digital is good, retail is good. Choice - win.

Both have advantages and disadvantages but the word of the day folks is choice. Choice to buy digital OR hardcopy.

Why does everything have to be this OR that :)

Oh and cloud sucks ass until they get rid of the inherent lag of internet (faster than light only problem).
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 10 Jan 2013, 20:04

People actually still buy CD's?

Guess that's why HMV are doing so well.
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby Taus » 10 Jan 2013, 20:16

I saw Phil Harrison in Prada on Bond Street (London). He was asking after a coat, I thought about asking how his role at MS was going but realised I didn't really have much to say to him, didn't want to come across as a fanboy so left him to his shopping
Taus 54

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby stealth » 10 Jan 2013, 20:28

what a joke
stealth 47

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 10 Jan 2013, 20:37

stealth wrote:what a joke

Only to people stuck in the past and who are afraid of natural evolution.
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby Barca Azul » 10 Jan 2013, 21:20

JustOneMoreGo wrote:
beemoh wrote:
iTunes says hi.

Exactly.

Seriously, if were up to some of the tools in here we wouldn't have gotten past loading our games from cassette tape.

Cartridges came before cassette tapes and went back to cartridges! Not all new things are always as good as they seem.

Oh and even if I wanted cloud gaming, I'll probably have to wait at least another 5 years where I live, and I'm hardly in the sticks either!

I use iTunes also, but still get better deals on certain CD's often.
Barca Azul 63

Postby toaplan » 10 Jan 2013, 23:06

JustOneMoreGo wrote:
stealth wrote:what a joke

Only to people stuck in the past and who are afraid of natural evolution.

I was an enthusiastic and early adopter of CD-ROM gaming, even though it came with a big downside (compared to cartridges): loading times. But I thought, like so many others, that the benefits of CD-quality sound, lowered production costs and increased storage capacity, outweighed the negatives. Imported a Mega-CD, PC Engine CD, 3DO etc... 8)

I've also been an adopter of digital distribution: I've got 100+ paid Apps/Games on my iTunes/Steam accounts. Most of those games and apps have been bought at discount prices though. Typically I only buy Steam games, when they go on sale for under €10 and my App price ceiling is €2, although there are of course exceptions. I just don't like to pay much for games that have no resale value (and no box, cover art and manual... i.e. collectibility). Still prefer physical formats.

While I find digital distribution somewhat palatable, at this point I've almost no interest in cloud gaming. Laggy gameplay, interruptions / blackouts mid-game due to temporary bandwidth bottlenecks (cloud games have to stream a lot more data than current multiplayer games) especially during peak net usage hours, inability to access any of your cloud games during server downtime... are some of the worries I have regarding cloud gaming.
toaplan 75

Postby damoxuk » 12 Jan 2013, 19:20

In many apects Cloud gaming is more a step BACK for gaming as streaming games over the internet will mean an inherent lag to even Single Player games.

Think Diablo 3 although technically single player because it's perma connected to to a server it can be laggy which strikes me as well crap and definately worse than 20 years ago.

Streaming has benefits only for say bringing old games to newer machines - like i'm guessing Sony will use Gaikai to allow ps1-3/psp-vita games to be streamed to there devices like PS4/Smart TV's etc. in that sense streaming is good.

BUT streaming as the norm? No thanks i'm happy playing with no input lag on my consoles/PC. I don't want to have a worse experience. Oh and before people say get better internet - it's not the speed of the line what matters but how good the latency is on said line.

Gaming for example requires barely any bandwidth - a 256kbps line with v low lag is much better for gaming than a 100mbps line crippled with latency.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk