to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gun violence debate: Vice President to face games industry

Your comments on our articles.

Joe Biden task force to meet with industry executives

Executives within the games industry are scheduled to hold meetings with Vice President Joe Biden as the White House examines a range of possible ways to tackle the country's culture of gun crime.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Gun violence debate: Vice President to face games industry

Postby gnokgnik » 10 Jan 2013, 11:56

Typically. In the 80s it was the violent films, now the games ... Bah! :?
gnokgnik 50

Re: Gun violence debate: Vice President to face games indust

Postby El Mag » 10 Jan 2013, 12:00

gnokgnik wrote:Typically. In the 80s it was the violent films, now the games ... Bah! :?

And music with Marilyn Manson being blamed for Columbine.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby illage2 » 10 Jan 2013, 12:21

DO NOT BAN VIDEO GAMES! Need I say more.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby illage2 » 10 Jan 2013, 12:25

Assault rifle bans are fair enough as no one needs to be packing an assault rifle.

I don't see why they don't follow the same laws as here in the UK, less gun crime here in the UK because access to firearms is very very very very very limited. You also need to have a gun license to own a firearm.

This news is very disturbing to me, what is actually gonna happen to violent video games?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Postby Barry316 » 10 Jan 2013, 12:48

You'll have to buy them from a shady looking man on a street corner illage.

But don't worry my uncle is pretty nice.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby alph3 » 10 Jan 2013, 12:48

To me this just feels like an attempt to divert attention away from the NRA and their stance on the right to bear arms (Their constitution actually states that the right to bear arms is subject to them being in a well ordered militia, and is in defense of their national security. Nowhere does it mention personal security).
Many many studies have shown that the playing of violent video games does not a violent person make.
The NRA have been very smart (aside from that press conference of course) in accepting the meeting with Biden, but we must remember that they said they'd only attend such a meeting if movie and game makers were attending too. This sounds like an underhanded tactic to share the blame.
alph3 39

Xbox Live: alph3
PSN ID: IrishManx
Steam: IrishManx

Postby RandyChimp » 10 Jan 2013, 13:32

I wrote a paper on the effects of media violence on children this week, studying both sides of the argument. The conclusion I came to was that we have to start taking responsibility for the behaviour of our youth. Placing the blame has been common practice in history (think of book burnings), when in reality, if a person imitates violent media, they already have a violent personality. The media just brings it out of them, which doesn't make the gaming industry responsible.
"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to shut the f**k up!"
RandyChimp 38

PSN ID: RandyChimp

Postby Terranova1 » 10 Jan 2013, 13:53

illage2 wrote:
This news is very disturbing to me, what is actually gonna happen to violent video games?

I very much doubt anything will happen, but even if America did impose a ban it wont effect Eroupe the Americans will just get the Edited versions or not at all, it will be like it is for Germany or how it use to be for Austrailia until the government there got smart.
Terranova1 35

Postby ted1138 » 10 Jan 2013, 13:54

Owning a firearm should be a privilege, not a basic right. One that's earned, and not just freely handed out to anyone that wants it...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby illage2 » 10 Jan 2013, 14:16

RandyChimp wrote:I wrote a paper on the effects of media violence on children this week, studying both sides of the argument. The conclusion I came to was that we have to start taking responsibility for the behaviour of our youth. Placing the blame has been common practice in history (think of book burnings), when in reality, if a person imitates violent media, they already have a violent personality. The media just brings it out of them, which doesn't make the gaming industry responsible.

Yeah we do. Agreed 100%.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Postby illage2 » 10 Jan 2013, 14:18

Does anyone think anything will come of this?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Postby Simon Carlin » 10 Jan 2013, 14:27

illage2 wrote:Does anyone think anything will come of this?

Probable but unlikely, however much the US "needs something" in the wake of Connecticut, although Australia and Germany could become models for violence, or the lack thereof, in games.

We don't have to worry as we are in the UK and we have something that protects us* but wouldn't it be odd if game production in the UK increases because people are importing to the US?

*the BBFC, the people that quite rightly put the kibosh on Manhunt 2 - the game that made an army of 12 year olds cry into their Kinder Eggs.

The BBFC are the s**t, they really are.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Jan 2013, 14:29

They allow people to arm themselves yet they don't want Iran having nuclear weapony, the hypocrisy...

Nothing will happen illage.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 10 Jan 2013, 14:35

You is barking up the wrong tree, see fig1.

Over 130 million people have bought Call of Duty game at one time or another, last time I checked less thaN 0.0000000000000000002% have gone on a killing spree.

You can check these figures and other interesting facts at www.thisshitisgettingboringnowtakerespo ... hellup.com

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby ChrisTypeR » 10 Jan 2013, 14:37

Ha ha, this is the biggest joke I have heard in years - why bother?? Instead of handing out machine guns and grenades to every redneck nutjob why not have a better control of guns?? Americans and their 'its not my fault its yours' culture have to blame it on something else other than the fact that some of its citizens are just damaged. This culture is over here now - trip or fall, accident direct - The games industry is not to blame for any of these massacres that have occurred, the headcase behind the gun and the authorities for handing our guns like groceries are.
ChrisTypeR 36

Next