Why Valve's Steam Box is no game changer

Your comments on our articles.

A bold idea from a brilliant company overlooks fundamental flaws, writes Rob Crossley

Valve is an unmistakable success story but the next chapter in the company's history is fraught with challenges and drawbacks.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby micka » 09 Jan 2013, 18:51

The steam box is a great idea in theory, but there are also many flaws as the article points out. Another few would be the fact that the Steam library has to be ported to linux. Another one is with all the publishers like Ubisoft and EA having their own clients as in Uplay and Origin. Will these be ported to linux also? I love steam on my PC but unless it overcomes some serious obstacles and maybe subsidizes the Steambox I cant really see it working. Say I get a Steambox, will I be able to play Battlefield 3 and 4? What about any other games coming out from EA like Mass Effect 3, Crysis 3 Need For Speed, Sim City and Fifa? I think what Valve should have done was worked on a way to get Steam on next gen consoles or else stuck to what it knows best and try get better deals with publishers to bring every game to Steam.
micka 52

Steam: obiangello

Postby B_G_G » 09 Jan 2013, 18:57

Rob.

The Piston.

IS A LUXURY MINI PC.

IT IS NOT NOT NOT A STEAM BOX PROTOTYPE.

AT ALL.

OTHER THINGS THAT WERE AT CES BUT ARE NOT ACTUALLY A STEAM BOX PROTOTYPE INCLUDE A LADYSHAVE RAZOR AND SOME PENS

Christ.
B_G_G 51

Re: Why Valve's Steam Box is no game changer

Postby Bambis Dad » 09 Jan 2013, 19:05

Will you be able to upgrade the graphics card, processor etc for future, more demanding releases? Or is it just a console that plays PC games?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby ted1138 » 09 Jan 2013, 19:11

PC gaming is dead(it hangs on by a tiny thread), now Gabe needs to find a new platform to exploit(MS, Sony, Apple and Nintendo know better than to give him unrestricted access to theirs). No way this will work, console gamers will opt for the next xbox/ps , PC gamers will stick to their windows machines, and casual gamers won't pay any attention to this anyway... :|
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Rob Crossley » 09 Jan 2013, 19:27

B_G_G wrote:Rob.

The Piston.

IS A LUXURY MINI PC.

IT IS NOT NOT NOT A STEAM BOX PROTOTYPE.

AT ALL.

OTHER THINGS THAT WERE AT CES BUT ARE NOT ACTUALLY A STEAM BOX PROTOTYPE INCLUDE A LADYSHAVE RAZOR AND SOME PENS

Christ.

Actually, it is the template to a custom Steam Box developed by Xi3 with financial support from Valve.

You can find all the info by clicking on the Steam Box link in the article.

Hope that helps.
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby B_G_G » 09 Jan 2013, 19:31

Rob Crossley wrote:Actually, it is the template to a custom Steam Box developed by Xi3 with financial support from Valve.

Hope that helps.

Rob, I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

I'd link you to the many many places that would tell you why its wrong, but I don't need to as your own website has done it already.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385556/valve-no-current-plans-to-announce-steam-box-in-2013
B_G_G 51

Postby STE MO » 09 Jan 2013, 19:42

ted1138 wrote:PC gaming is dead(it hangs on by a tiny thread), now Gabe needs to find a new platform to exploit(MS, Sony, Apple and Nintendo know better than to give him unrestricted access to theirs). No way this will work, console gamers will opt for the next xbox/ps , PC gamers will stick to their windows machines, and casual gamers won't pay any attention to this anyway... :|

Why would you say PC gaming is dead? If anything it's on the rise. I think some people are are switching because of the change in attitude in the console market, heading towards a more casual market. You can use Xbox controllers on the PC so its not so alien to console gamers, plus PC's already have next GEN graphics and generally PC screens have better resolution the TV's. The only down side is the price, but you do get what you pay for. I do love my Xbox and enjoyed my PS3, but I'm going back towards the PC now.
STE MO 51

Postby gobbybobby » 09 Jan 2013, 19:42

Its very easy to simply take my tower downstairs and plug it into my living rooms 3DTV (Cracking deal in jan sale last year, top spec 50inch 600hertz 1080p, wall mounted for £500) and enjoy games on that

Why would I buy a Steambox for that. If I do anything, I will buy an Extra KB/M and power cable/ HDMI, so I can just move the tower and plug it in, that's gonna cost me under £40. (use 360 pad when playing games on large screens, as its easier)

I don't think they are marketing this at current PC gamers at all, they are trying to get console gamers onto Steam. I think they can do it with the right marketing, and right price point. I personally love Steam big picture, Its excellent, but Valve need to get more Steam games to support Controllers outright. Its annoying when I have to go grab my keyboard and mouse and set up the controller myself. All Steamwork games (like Just cause 2, and most of Valves own games) support a 360 controller straight away, which is great.

Also First person shooter games, without a Keyboard and mouse you are at a disadvantage, I would stick to playing FPSs at my Desk with a KB/M. (which is about 75% of my gaming time)
gobbybobby 45

Xbox Live: gobbybobby
PSN ID: gobbybobby
Steam: gobbybobby
Battle.net: gobbybobby
xFire: gobbybobby

Postby Balladeer » 09 Jan 2013, 19:45

ted1138 wrote:PC gaming is dead(it hangs on by a tiny thread)...

RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby skabone » 09 Jan 2013, 19:49

hmmm - at the end of the day all Valve really want is steam in your home so they'll make sure there'll be plenty of different ways to get it to you. Since they're shut out of the console market they need something price competitive to do that - a low cost PC is more than capable of running a great deal of steams library at decent settings, higher maybe than current gen consoles which are at the end of a decades service. Pc gaming remains a (more) open platform with very little standardisation so I imagine Valve are more than happy to help fund other companies to make steam boxes at different entry levels (piston), get these guys to build a defined Steam box (steam engine) and drive the market between the both of them. Chances are this could get other manufacturers on board like Asus or HP (or whoever makes PC's these days, remember Apricot?) and suddenly you have this market of gamers buying what they can afford but all playing and paying through steam.

...Remember - all Valve want is steam on your TV - and its going to be 18 months at least if not 3 years before next Gen consoles are hitting their stride - just look at the Wii U launch - or Vita, a handful of games at launch and very little on the horizon that isn't a port.

.....steam box launched with Half Life 3 = now that would sell
skabone 29

Postby Bambis Dad » 09 Jan 2013, 19:50

STE MO wrote:
ted1138 wrote:PC gaming is dead(it hangs on by a tiny thread), now Gabe needs to find a new platform to exploit(MS, Sony, Apple and Nintendo know better than to give him unrestricted access to theirs). No way this will work, console gamers will opt for the next xbox/ps , PC gamers will stick to their windows machines, and casual gamers won't pay any attention to this anyway... :|

Why would you say PC gaming is dead? If anything it's on the rise. I think some people are are switching because of the change in attitude in the console market, heading towards a more casual market. You can use Xbox controllers on the PC so its not so alien to console gamers, plus PC's already have next GEN graphics and generally PC screens have better resolution the TV's. The only down side is the price, but you do get what you pay for. I do love my Xbox and enjoyed my PS3, but I'm going back towards the PC now.

The round up of best PC games had roughly as many games on it that piqued my interest as did the two articles on what too look forward to in 2013. PC gaming is becoming more desirable of late.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby slothfull9 » 09 Jan 2013, 20:10

Well, considering how long it can take to connect to the Steam service I for one wouldn't want to have something that takes 5 minutes or more to boot up ... or tell you it can't connect. :)

Is this why HL2/3 has been endlessly delayed/cancelled? (I've just about given up on that.)

If this looks like being at all successful then it won't please MS or Sony. The latter may see Steam on PS3 as the thin end of Mr Newall's large wedge.

The other potential problem is that neither Steam nor Valve are household names, and most people will not have heard of them.
slothfull9 45

Postby Rob Crossley » 09 Jan 2013, 20:12

B_G_G wrote:
Rob Crossley wrote:Actually, it is the template to a custom Steam Box developed by Xi3 with financial support from Valve.

Hope that helps.

Rob, I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

I'd link you to the many many places that would tell you why its wrong, but I don't need to as your own website has done it already.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385556/valve-no-current-plans-to-announce-steam-box-in-2013

Things would be less time consuming if you just straight-up believed me, as it is my job to publish accurate information, but then again it’s good to get feedback if something is not clear.

So:

The ‘Steam Box’ is elementally a range of PCs, built by different companies, which will all integrate Steam and have TV output.

Valve, not surprisingly, is making its own Steam Box. It hasn’t decided on what parts it will use yet.

Other PC companies, such as Xi3, are also making their own Steam Box. Xi3 has already decided what its Steam Box will look like, and has codenamed its prototype ‘Piston’.

I hope that clears everything up. Would be even better in the future if you just took my word for it, but obviously I have to earn your trust. Anyway, below are some links that I hope will help.

--------------------------

1)
Xi3 press release confirming that it is developing a Steam Box
Also confirming that it has received investment from Valve
Also explaining that its prototype will be in Valve’s exhibitor booth at CES
http://s.tt/1y5Kd

2)
Early details of that prototype during a CES interview
An Xi3 representative explaining that the Steam Box prototype is called "Piston" and is modeled from the X7A line of micro-computers
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284 ... am-box-xi3

3)
Valve’s Doug Lombardi assuring that the Piston is just one of many Steam Boxes
Quote: “We are bringing multiple custom (hardware) prototypes as well as some off-the-shelf PCs to our CES meetings"
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/8/3850952 ... piston-one

4)
Gabe Newell asserting that Valve will be making its own Steam Box, and will not put many restrictions on other manufacturers that want to as well
Quote: We’ll come out with our own and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can.
Quote 2: it’s been surprisingly difficult when we say to people "don’t put an optical media drive in there" and they put an optical media drive in there and you’re like "that makes it hotter, that makes it more expensive, and it makes the box bigger." Go ahead. You can always sell the Best box, and those are just whatever those guys want to manufacture.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385214 ... -of-gaming
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby jamesfp » 09 Jan 2013, 20:38

thats enough now guys
jamesfp 14
New user

Postby Pystoph » 09 Jan 2013, 20:50

Doubling up on something you already have, at the cost of several hundred pounds, is extravagant to the point of careless.

I wouldn't think of it as doubling up. These days all I use my PC for is gaming, I've got a ton of other devices I can use to browse the web, play movies, music, write email etc etc. The Steam Box could actually replace the traditional PC.

Think about it for a second, if you're not into gaming why would you currently buy a desktop PC? It literally does nothing that you can't do with another, more portable, device.

I have no interest in having 2 non-portable devices that can play PC games (in fact I'm not interested in a portable one either to be honest). BUT if I can have 1 device, connected to a nice big screen, that is very well optimised for gaming, that I can use a keyboard and mouse OR a controller, with access to a massive library of games and NOT have to have it's own desk taking up valuable space in my tiny house then I am VERY interested.
I Laugh At Your Conversational Skills (Or Lack Of)
Pystoph 30

Steam: pystoph
Battle.net: Pystoph#2619

Next