Apple reportedly working on cheaper iPhone

Your comments on our articles.

New model could launch later this year to combat dip in market share

Apple is reportedly considering releasing a cheaper iPhone.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Apple reportedly working on cheaper iPhone

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:25

Surely that would be a contradiction to their whole business model though and a potential to devalue the more expensive iphone!
Barca Azul 63

Re: Apple reportedly working on cheaper iPhone

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:34

Barca Azul wrote:Surely that would be a contradiction to their whole business model though and a potential to devalue the more expensive iphone!

Not really, I guess it will still look, operate and exude the Apple style- kinda like an ipod shuffle vs the ipod touch

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Tamoor » 09 Jan 2013, 13:34

Barca Azul wrote:Surely that would be a contradiction to their whole business model though and a potential to devalue the more expensive iphone!

Didn't stop them from making the iPad Mini
Watch me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/tamoorh
Follow me on Twitter y'al: http://www.twitter.com/tamoorh
Stalk me on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tamoorh
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Jan 2013, 13:38

I think after the last few years Apple have finally reached the top of the hill, but as with all tech companies, the only way to go once you get there is down.

Don't feel sorry for them though, they'll still be swimming in money for years and years to come.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby Osiris25 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:39

I don't know why they don't keep the 4 out and sell it at the lower price point. When a new iPhone arrives take the previous models and lower the price point to cover other markets. Its not like you would cause market confusion. Samsung and others have so many models out to cover the various demographics but it is a nightmare knowing which is which half the time. There are people who will never pay for the Latest iPhone or Galaxy S3 etc and will buy the lower spec/priced models. So having a low cost iPhone for that won't damage your main market I'm sure.
Osiris25 48

Postby Simon Carlin » 09 Jan 2013, 13:39

If true, smart.

If you want to stay the king of the castle, you respond to the markets.

Clever girl.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:52

Simon Carlin wrote:If true, smart.

Clever girl.

depends though, More market share doesnt automatically mean more profit.
Barca Azul 63

Postby Windowlicker79 » 09 Jan 2013, 14:02

Osiris25 wrote:I don't know why they don't keep the 4 out and sell it at the lower price point. When a new iPhone arrives take the previous models and lower the price point to cover other markets. Its not like you would cause market confusion. Samsung and others have so many models out to cover the various demographics but it is a nightmare knowing which is which half the time. There are people who will never pay for the Latest iPhone or Galaxy S3 etc and will buy the lower spec/priced models. So having a low cost iPhone for that won't damage your main market I'm sure.

That's pretty much what they do already. Older iPhone models stay on sale in Apple stores for quite some time after a new model is released.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Imaduck » 09 Jan 2013, 15:35

Remove Apple sticker - half the price. Solved, it's a f**king miracle!
Imaduck 58

Postby Drusus » 09 Jan 2013, 15:54

Don't moves like this and the ipad mini just completely defeat the point of the apple wow factor. People buy apple products to show off they have apple products, not exclusively for that reason but for every one apple fan I imagine there's a fair few who saw that person using it and just wanted the cool factor.

Bringing out more, cheaper and with barely any difference in ability will just make people look at other brands and frankly Samsung will flay them alive if people start comparing.

I guess I used to see Apple as a cool trend setter but today they seem to be a predictable trend follower. They need a new product, not a mini version, a new number or reboot, a new product. I just don't think they have that in the company, it may be downward spiral time.
Drusus 59

Postby Currychips » 09 Jan 2013, 16:06

They don't need a new model they need a new OS interface.

Frankly, it's looking very dated and tired now, especially next to the Windows 8 style, which I think is amazing.

A lot of media wally's (myself included) buy the iPhone for the style and the simplicity of the design but it needs a revamp. Just making it quicker and more able to easily multitask is irrelevant - leave all that specification nonsense to the Android PC nerd market - we want a new interface and an injection of STYLE!
Do you want Chilli on that?
Currychips 50

Xbox Live: Mr Cheesefinger
PSN ID: westypie

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Jan 2013, 16:20

Barca Azul wrote:
Simon Carlin wrote:If true, smart.

Clever girl.

depends though, More market share doesnt automatically mean more profit.

To counteract the loss of profit from these things, if 300% or some such isn't enough per phone, they're going to collect all the stray cats in the world and sell their kidneys to childrens hospitals. Thus keeping their trendy image of being complete bastards.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 16:31

Drusus wrote:Don't moves like this and the ipad mini just completely defeat the point of the apple wow factor. People buy apple products to show off they have apple products, not exclusively for that reason but for every one apple fan I imagine there's a fair few who saw that person using it and just wanted the cool factor.

Bringing out more, cheaper and with barely any difference in ability will just make people look at other brands and frankly Samsung will flay them alive if people start comparing.

I guess I used to see Apple as a cool trend setter but today they seem to be a predictable trend follower. They need a new product, not a mini version, a new number or reboot, a new product. I just don't think they have that in the company, it may be downward spiral time.

This is the point, and Samsung are already leading them anyway. LG and perhaps Sony without Eriksson could also be dark horses in up and coming too.
Barca Azul 63

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 09 Jan 2013, 16:57

When it comes to mobiles, mp3 and tablets i wouldn't back against Apple 'owning' the market in the longer term so to speak, premium brands adopting more m ainstream strategies is nothing new the likes of BMW, Waitrose, LVMH and Bose are all examples and they all do well....

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Skullet » 09 Jan 2013, 17:20

"Research firm IDC suggests iPhones accounted for 14.6 per cent of worldwide smartphone shipments in the third quarter of 2012, down from a peak of 23 per cent in the first quarter of last year."

The iPhone 5 was released at the end of the third quarter of 2012 so you'd expect it to be a slow quarter while people held off for the new hardware, only a complete hack would then compare those figures with the first quarter of the year where they were selling new hardware for the full quarter.
Skullet 62

Next