Console business 'not going away any time soon', insists Son

Your comments on our articles.

Kaz Hirai says the games market still wants core devices; Pledges commitment to PS Vita

The chief executive of Sony, Kaz Hirai, has given the PlayStation business a shining endorsement in the wake of a new debate on the future of core consoles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Console business 'not going away any time soon', insists Son

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Jan 2013, 12:43

2016 doesn't mean we ain't seeing new hardware this year though.

Give us the new stuff, Kaz!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Re: Console business 'not going away any time soon', insists

Postby adison » 09 Jan 2013, 12:56

StonecoldMC wrote:2016 doesn't mean we ain't seeing new hardware this year though.

Give us the new stuff, Kaz!

+1

Sony need to beat Microsoft to release with there next generation machine to have any hope of staying in the console business.

But this next generation will be more about friends lists than what the actual console can do I believe.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo need to work together more this next generation if there going to be fighting against Google and Apple for market share.

And the argument for shared hardware has never been more relevant I believe.
there's a time and place for everything. and this is neither the time nor the place

psn id :- Johnny_Damage_
adison 43

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:02

I still think that the two markets are different, yes they will overlap, but I think he is right. I cant see me playing an uncharted or a RDR on a phone or tablet. Ive invetsed in the last 2 years in a 46 inch HD screen for my lounge, why would I want to go totally to 5 or 10 inches with awkward controls.

I would bet that casual gaming on phones and tablets will lead to new console owners in the future as well.
Barca Azul 63

Postby Simon Carlin » 09 Jan 2013, 13:04

I like gaming on my iPad and I don't find it awkward.

I like gaming on my 360 and PS3.

The Vita is a turd.

A very shiny one, though.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:16

Simon Carlin wrote:I like gaming on my iPad and I don't find it awkward.

The Vita is a turd.

I like ipad gaming also, but ones with simplistic controls defined touch screen controls, but not for console/PC ports.

i also think the Vita is a great piece of kit.
Barca Azul 63

Postby murph_77 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:17

The Vita is a turd.

What do you base your comment on the Vita on? I take it you own one and have played games like Need For Speed, Assassins Creed, CoD and Fifa and played games like escape Plan, Jet Set Radio and Frobisher Says? I take it you have relived some of the great gaming moments such as Syphon Filter, Destruction Derby etc on the device and not enjoyed them? If so, fair enough. My opinion is it is a great device. When the offer of cross play is live I feel many peoples perceptions will change and the sales will shoot up.
murph_77 45

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:32

If he don't like it Murph he don't like it, we all have a choice mate.

On topic I cannot see me ditching the console and TV combo any time soon, to be frank I find Ipads, handhelds, phone games (I have owned all at some point or another) a very very very very distant 2nd place to a console and a massive telly. now this might be because I drive everywhere, don't find myself with time in the day to sit waiting for trains or filling lunchtimes with handheld play and as soon as I am home the only gaming option is TV on and see the Xbox fire up.....

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Simon Carlin » 09 Jan 2013, 13:49

Barca Azul wrote:

The Vita is a turd.

I like ipad gaming also, but ones with simplistic controls defined touch screen controls, but not for console/PC ports.

i also think the Vita is a great piece of kit.

Oh, I think it's a great piece of kit but I come from the "games please" stable of thinking. From that point of view it's not great and far from it. The Vita, like the PSP sits in a zone of gaming whereby if you want to play big games then play it on a console. Playing it outside is impossible due to it's shininess and the load times and it's high-end finish make it an awkward puppy for commuting gaming. From what I've experienced anyway and I know that is not much but I know enough to know what works for me personally.

I don't mind more complex games on iOS, either. I am currently enjoying GTA 3 still, it's surprising really, I thought I would hate it on a touch screen but I don't tend to think about the controls so from my perspective, that's a win. If you have to think about what you're controlling, on any device, then it's a fail for me.

The devs of Ravensword 2 (an Oblivion style rpg) have listened to feedback and improved the controls so that's working much cleaner now. I am looking forwards to a time when touch screen controls aren't an issue but from my perspective, it's a matter of habit rather than functionality, I adapted last year and have no issues. If a game doesn't control right, then I think it's a fixable issue. Take Jet Set Radio, Sega have not updated the controls from the DC game and it shows on the 360 and PS3, not just the iPad.

But this is only my opinion.

@ Murph, whatever mate, I think a device is only as good as it's games and really, what have you got to look forward to?
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Resident Dante » 09 Jan 2013, 14:16

I think Sony should give up on the handheld business and focus on making their consoles, maybe recapture the glory days of the PS2 but with a new console. Nintendo dominate sony in handhelds with less powerful tech and on the whole better games, and I base this opinion on the fact that owned a PS vita and a 3DS.
Resident Dante 43

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 14:34

Simon Carlin wrote:
Oh, I think it's a great piece of kit but I come from the "games please" stable of thinking. From that point of view it's not great and far from it. The Vita, like the PSP sits in a zone of gaming whereby if you want to play big games then play it on a console. Playing it outside is impossible due to it's shininess and the load times and it's high-end finish make it an awkward puppy for commuting gaming. From what I've experienced anyway and I know that is not much but I know enough to know what works for me personally.

I don't mind more complex games on iOS, either. I am currently enjoying GTA 3 still, it's surprising really, I thought I would hate it on a touch screen but I don't tend to think about the controls so from my perspective, that's a win. If you have to think about what you're controlling, on any device, then it's a fail for me.

The devs of Ravensword 2 (an Oblivion style rpg) have listened to feedback and improved the controls so that's working much cleaner now. I am looking forwards to a time when touch screen controls aren't an issue but from my perspective, it's a matter of habit rather than functionality, I adapted last year and have no issues. If a game doesn't control right, then I think it's a fixable issue. Take Jet Set Radio, Sega have not updated the controls from the DC game and it shows on the 360 and PS3, not just the iPad.

But this is only my opinion.

@ Murph, whatever mate, I think a device is only as good as it's games and really, what have you got to look forward to?

I use the Vita mainly for travelling, planes and hotels, I do quite a bit and its easier than lugging a console around.

On iOS I got the dizzy game, but found myself looking to the controls all the time, as I couldnt just feel them like on a pad and found my thumbs would gradually move of the control. I couldnt imagine GTA without sticks and buttons to be honest, but maybe I just need more practise?
Barca Azul 63

Postby S-Smith » 09 Jan 2013, 14:51

"in a Kotaku editorial" lol ANOTHER F**KING SH*T Gaming site. 99% of gaming sites should just f**k-off & die i think. I wouldn't miss any of them really.
S-Smith 41

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Jan 2013, 15:02

S-Smith wrote:"in a Kotaku editorial" lol ANOTHER F**KING SH*T Gaming site. 99% of gaming sites should just f**k-off & die i think. I wouldn't miss any of them really.

But where would you post your insightful and impartial views on Gaming :wink: ?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby El Mag » 09 Jan 2013, 15:11

StonecoldMC wrote:
S-Smith wrote:"in a Kotaku editorial" lol ANOTHER F**KING SH*T Gaming site. 99% of gaming sites should just f**k-off & die i think. I wouldn't miss any of them really.

Public toilet walls.

Or move on up to standing outside Marks & Spencer and shouting them at everybody that goes past.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 15:19

El Mag wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:

Public toilet walls.

Or move on up to standing outside Marks & Spencer and shouting them at everybody that goes past.

Surely its poundland or cash converters? Surely no one would be uncouth enough to do that outside M&S?
Barca Azul 63

Postby Imaduck » 09 Jan 2013, 15:37

Well it won't last long if you don't stop shooting yourself in the foot ya wanker.
Imaduck 58

Next