to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Valve developing biometric game controller, Newell confirms

Your comments on our articles.

Studio not convinced by motion control: 'We cannot see how it makes games fundamentally better'

PC games kingpin Valve is developing a controller that measures the player's state through biometric data, the company's president has confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Valve developing biometric game controller, Newell confirms

Postby EvilWaterman » 09 Jan 2013, 11:31

This lot have got their head screwed on.

If this steam box is a reasonable price and is stand alone, i'll drop Sony like a brick
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Re: Valve developing biometric game controller, Newell confi

Postby Simon Carlin » 09 Jan 2013, 11:48

It's like a company wants to make a games console for games.

And people really don't see the point in it?

Jesus wept.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby RoOhDiNi » 09 Jan 2013, 11:54

It may be true that precision work is best done with hands and fingers, but it will also stress your brains out over time and restrain the set of input possibilities - there's so many games that rely on contextsensitive buttons and QTEs instead of making the scenes truly interactive! Motion-controls on the other hand feel quite intuitive in comparison and allow for flexibility.
They really should have taken a look at Skyward Sword for inspiration. The swordfighting in that game is superb, and I'd argue there's no way you could pull that off with conventional controls.
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 12:07

You're not having my blood or DNA Gabe, as i dont see how it will improve games!

Never trust anyone that fat, probably looking to take over the world.
Barca Azul 61

Postby martinawatson » 09 Jan 2013, 12:10

Studio not convinced by motion control: 'We cannot see how it makes games fundamentally better'

They obviously havnt played the brilliant PS3 Move controlled Star wars jedi fighting game .............oh hang on, err no one has :oops:
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby buffig » 09 Jan 2013, 12:31

martinawatson wrote:Studio not convinced by motion control: 'We cannot see how it makes games fundamentally better'

They obviously havnt played the brilliant PS3 Move controlled Star wars jedi fighting game .............oh hang on, err no one has :oops:

Thanks. There I was going about by day, happy in the knowledge that I hadnt remembered that there wasnt a Star Wars game for Move. But then you had to come along and make me remember that there isnt a Star Wars game for Move and now I'm all sad and the world is bleak and depressing.
buffig 61

Postby Sixty9Eyes » 09 Jan 2013, 12:59

Barca Azul wrote:You're not having my blood or DNA Gabe, as i dont see how it will improve games!

Lol typical console fag. dont understand cause all you used to is your shitbox 360 and its infinite adverts you pay £40 a year for lmfao!
Sixty9Eyes 23

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:10

Sixty9Eyes wrote:
Barca Azul wrote:You're not having my blood or DNA Gabe, as i dont see how it will improve games!

Lol typical console fag. dont understand cause all you used to is your shitbox 360 and its infinite adverts you pay £40 a year for lmfao!

err, it was a joke, maybe it went over your head! The second line was to emphasise the fact.

Im a gamer since 1979, and used consoles, computers and PC's (286 was my first gaming rig), handhelds, over that period but not tied to anyone to do so.

Whilst you are an offensive bigot by the looks of things! you might need to google some of those words!
Barca Azul 61

Postby martinawatson » 09 Jan 2013, 13:10

buffig wrote:
martinawatson wrote:Studio not convinced by motion control: 'We cannot see how it makes games fundamentally better'

Thanks. There I was going about by day, happy in the knowledge that I hadnt remembered that there wasnt a Star Wars game for Move. But then you had to come along and make me remember that there isnt a Star Wars game for Move and now I'm all sad and the world is bleak and depressing.

Hey dont worry, maybe now Disney who are pretty sharp all round might ring up Sony, and say...

DISNEY " Hey Sony ,you ever thought about doing a lightsaber jedi beat um up with your sword like move controller"
SONY " Star wars?"
DISNEY " Yehh Star wars,(long pause) you know Luke Sky-walker, Han Solo ...chewie "
SONY "Chewie? "
DISNEY " YEhh (in disbelief), f**king Chewie...Chewbacca...boba fett...Jarr jarr Binks"
SONY " Listen mate, dont know what language your speaking, but we're not interested , yehh sure we toyed with the idea of using two move controllers to be a slow walking Chameleon walking down a tree (true) but overall we have a company policy to release products with huge potential and then hardly bother to support that hardware and ignore the obvious"
DISNEY " Yehh (increasingly irate) Ok , how about a star wars dancing game conversion of the kinect title for the Eyetoy "
SONY " Nah , we dont really do eyetoy games"
DISNEY " oh for fox sake, Indiana jones , you know a good ole whip cracking romp using the Drakes fortune engine.....(no response).....hello ....hello....he's put the bloody phone down( disbelief)

Yehh sorry mate , i should nether have mentioned it.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby danhalen74 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:16

Sixty9Eyes wrote:

'typical console fag' you ACTUALLY typed that....

i cant believe people like you still exist. the world would be a better place if you didnt. i bet you're a 'typical virgin keyboard warrior'. what a dickhead.
danhalen74 47

Xbox Live: danhalen74

Postby TheLastDodo » 09 Jan 2013, 13:22

LMAO @ Barca

If that guy couldn't see you were obviously joking then they definitely won't understand your clarification.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby havoc33 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:26

RoOhDiNi wrote:It may be true that precision work is best done with hands and fingers, but it will also stress your brains out over time and restrain the set of input possibilities - there's so many games that rely on contextsensitive buttons and QTEs instead of making the scenes truly interactive! Motion-controls on the other hand feel quite intuitive in comparison and allow for flexibility.
They really should have taken a look at Skyward Sword for inspiration. The swordfighting in that game is superb, and I'd argue there's no way you could pull that off with conventional controls.

To be honest, motion controls suck. Valve is totally right when they say that the pinnackle of motion controls is Wii Sports. Sure it was fun, but for how long?

Skyward Sword is the first Zelda game ever that I have not finished. I bet you can guess the reason why.
havoc33 43

PSN ID: havoc33_

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Jan 2013, 13:29

TheLastDodo wrote:LMAO @ Barca

If that guy couldn't see you were obviously joking then they definitely won't understand your clarification.

:wink:

He appears obtuse, and was a good way to labour the point!
Barca Azul 61

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 09 Jan 2013, 14:02

EvilWaterman wrote:This lot have got their head screwed on.

If this steam box is a reasonable price and is stand alone, i'll drop Sony like a brick

Same, valve come across as a company that actually likes games, very few others do. If their cube thing is a good price I will probably get it instead of Sony's next device. Digital downloads are the forward and valve are the only company who "get it"
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby Francisnf » 09 Jan 2013, 14:14

Barca Azul wrote:Never trust anyone that fat, probably looking to take over the world.

LOL
Francisnf 40

Next