to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Valve's Steam Box: Early specs and what we know so far

Your comments on our articles.

Details suggest up to 1TB hard drive, up to 8GB of RAM, expensive retail price

Valve has invested in computer manufacturer Xi3 to develop a custom PC in a bold new move to bring Steam to the living room.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby TOKEN » 08 Jan 2013, 12:08

im intrested but not at that price.i dont think even the hobbyist will pay that.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby illage2 » 08 Jan 2013, 12:14

Sounds good, I might just invest in one of these, as I can play my PC games without needing the massive hardware requirements.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: Valve's Steam Box: Early specs and what we know so far

Postby beastie » 08 Jan 2013, 12:18

What games will I be able to run on it?
It can't be a gaming PC surely

Or will it be able to play games in the way my PC at the moment CAN play Planetside2, but it looks like it is 1998 when it does.
beastie 52

Postby funkyjack » 08 Jan 2013, 13:00

You can build a gaming PC for £300 at the moment that will run most games at 1080p. Gaming PCs aren't as expensive as they used to be.

The system they are talking about would definitely be capable of running all modern PC games at a high resolution, but it sounds like Valve have invested in this company to build something different. Valve may also follow other console manufacturers and not actually make any money on the Steambox, using it as a loss leader to get Steam into more homes.

Need more info from Valve though.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby EvilWaterman » 08 Jan 2013, 13:03

TOKEN wrote:im intrested but not at that price.i dont think even the hobbyist will pay that.

+1
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby Moribundman » 08 Jan 2013, 13:06

Bring the price down and colour me interested. I can't help thinking with all the open source stuff there though (via Steam, via Linux, via a straightforward PC architecture) that someone's going to set about immediately hacking and exploiting any n00bs that take to the system. Or that Valve will suddenly turn into MS post-Xbox.
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby sh4dow83 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:17

Unless the price comes down quite a bit or the specs go up quite a bit, it seems it would make more sense to just get a regular PC for the money?
sh4dow83 43

Postby Malmo » 08 Jan 2013, 14:00

Wow, I thought they were going to release something priced similarly to a new console as to essentially turn steam (along with pc games) into a valid games console option. At that price I see no particular benefit than buying/building a regular PC.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby pherik » 08 Jan 2013, 14:03

Just because Valve have invested in the company, doesn't make this the Steam box - in fact it's probably due to Valves investment that the box will have Steam on it at all.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this company won't be producing the real Steam box, but this box, at that price, is not it.

If the Steam box was being revealed, Vavle would be making a big deal about it.
pherik 51

Postby TheRandyNinja » 08 Jan 2013, 14:29

not to expensive in my opinion looks easliy upgradable and very sleek would need more info but im still open minded about my next gen purchase :D
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby B_G_G » 08 Jan 2013, 14:31

That's not the Steam Box.

You know nothing so far.

And you KNOW you know nothing and this isn't the Steam Box.

You posted a story about The Mirror having a made up headline in a cheap effort to get attention literally an hour ago, and now you do this?

Ok then.
B_G_G 51

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Jan 2013, 14:56

roughly 650 quid then?, not that expensive. if you build a good gaming rig you'll be spensing around that minimum without the monitor anyway. still rather build my own like i have been for many years.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Jan 2013, 15:03

funkyjack wrote:You can build a gaming PC for £300 at the moment that will run most games at 1080p. Gaming PCs aren't as expensive as they used to be.

The system they are talking about would definitely be capable of running all modern PC games at a high resolution, but it sounds like Valve have invested in this company to build something different. Valve may also follow other console manufacturers and not actually make any money on the Steambox, using it as a loss leader to get Steam into more homes.

Need more info from Valve though.

I hope you aren't srious, you'll get bad framerates for sure at 1080p with a 300 quid computer, a good graphics card alone will cost over 100 bare minimum, usually 200 upwards for the best ones.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby B_G_G » 08 Jan 2013, 15:43

Welsh Jester wrote:roughly 650 quid then?, not that expensive. if you build a good gaming rig you'll be spensing around that minimum without the monitor anyway. still rather build my own like i have been for many years.

This is NOT the Steam Box, just to be clear.

And the model the company themselves say is for gamers costs $1100 for the entry level model, which would translate to around £900 here once taxes and so on have been added.

This is a luxury product and priced accordingly.

I still sort of want one, if the graphical performance is up to scratch, which it might not be. Its so so pretty.
B_G_G 51

Postby totakeke » 08 Jan 2013, 15:46

I hope it is that expensive. I don't want it to fail by any means, but if they drop the price and spec down too low then what is the point? You may as well buy a ps3/360/wii-U.

Plus as steam is the digital store of choice if they support a platform with relatively low specs, then it stands to reason that developers will target that specification, meaning that people with higher spec machines could be missing out on features that may have been implemented had the steam box been better equipped.

If it sells well and they spec it too basically then they may end up in the position where the pc games industry is being held back by itself. In a time where publishers are so wary of losing money on games it would be stupid for them to spend money adding features and graphics that people wouldn't see if they chose the steam box route meaning people at the high end of the spectrum would lose out.

For that sort of price/spec it looks like the equivalent of an i5 with an integrated NVidia 560, which is pretty respectable and if it runs linux and doesn't have to worry about the resource drain running windows in the background then this could be pretty impressive!
totakeke 55

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Next