to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony prepares closed-doors industry event ahead of PS4 revea

Your comments on our articles.

Platform holder to rally retail support as it prepares for the next gen

Sony Computer Entertainment America is sending out invites to selected industry partners for a closed-doors event in February.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony prepares closed-doors industry event ahead of PS4 revea

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Jan 2013, 11:41

February looks like its gonna be pretty interesting then.

Sony holding this Event and MS hold there annual Spring Conference in February as well.

Not long to wait then! Exciting times ahead :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Re: Sony prepares closed-doors industry event ahead of PS4 r

Postby martinawatson » 07 Jan 2013, 12:05

If Sony show there new console before Microsoft then they are completely daft, unless they are going to show a Vita /phone hybrid or Vita Android Tablet.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby ingy » 07 Jan 2013, 12:16

It is indeed exciting times,......but they hold this event every year, so it says, so the sceptic in me thinks this is a bit of a non story.

I just think the industry needs at least 18 months of hype before a new console release, isn't that usually how it works?

Either way, i had better start saving.
ingy 64

Postby S-Smith » 07 Jan 2013, 12:27

I hope it's different from the new Xbox i.e more powerful & does say maybe 4K etc etc[but then it would cost a lot & the internet crybabies will slag it off because they can't afford it etc etc, SONY can't win whatever they do anyway in the eyes of the hating internet&the gaming sites] Oh well.
S-Smith 41

Postby RustySpoon80 » 07 Jan 2013, 12:34

Sony wont reveal the PS4 until at least E3. This show will be for future PS3/Vita titles only. Otherwise it'd steal all the thunder of LOU, GOW:A and Beyond.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby benedictm » 07 Jan 2013, 12:35

Will be interesting to see what Sony does with Gaikai. Would it be possible to do the first Netflix style streaming all you can play for a fixed price each month? Would be pretty tempting

The main thing though is Sony - make a new controller! The main reason I went Xbox over PS this gen was their controller felt no much better to use. your design is over a decae old. Do it again!
benedictm 40

Postby damoxuk » 07 Jan 2013, 12:36

Sounds cool. Excitement in the industry and gaming in general is increasing.

However i'm suyre it will be similar tech to the nextbox apart from maybe 4k playback for movies and free online gaming (maybe).

I'll buy them both as any money I was gonna spend on Wii-U will go to the real meat :)

1080p Halo / 1080p Uncharted YES PLEASE.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby theaface » 07 Jan 2013, 12:38

Is February really considered to be "just a few weeks" before June?
theaface 45

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Jan 2013, 12:40

S-Smith wrote:I hope it's different from the new Xbox i.e more powerful & does say maybe 4K etc etc[but then it would cost a lot & the internet crybabies will slag it off because they can't afford it etc etc, SONY can't win whatever they do anyway in the eyes of the hating internet&the gaming sites] Oh well.

Internet crybabies :lol:
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Drusus » 07 Jan 2013, 12:43

The destination playstation is for retailers and will be showing PS3 and VITA 2013 games.

a. Why would they detract momentum from those products so early at an event supposed to push their momentum.
b. If they announced this early Microsoft would have E3 all to themselves for new console reveal.
c. E3 has a gigantic amount of people watching, it's huge free advertising, two odd hours of it...free.
d. February is a few weeks before June? Few Months surely.
e. It's closed doors but there's still just a bunch of retailers and their friends there, showing PS4 would just mean a billion leaks, confusing leaks where people who know nought about games are trying to explain a next gen console's features. That would be bad, they'd have to announce it for real to stop the flow of bad information anyway.

Of course I could be wrong but it would be so stupid if they did.
Drusus 59

Postby Asinine » 07 Jan 2013, 12:53

benedictm wrote:Will be interesting to see what Sony does with Gaikai. Would it be possible to do the first Netflix style streaming all you can play for a fixed price each month? Would be pretty tempting

That's an interesting shout, they really do need to make use of the Gaikai purchase they've made asap to recoup the cash paid out and to stop the general haemorraging of Sony group cash.

benedictm wrote:The main thing though is Sony - make a new controller! The main reason I went Xbox over PS this gen was their controller felt no much better to use. your design is over a decae old. Do it again!

I ferking hope not, I love the Sony controller and I definitely do not like the Xbox controller, one of the big factors why I don't enjoy multiplat games on it as much. Each to their own, the two controllers are Marmite to everyone I suppose.

Definitely looking forward to information from Sony and MS, I'd not have thought Sony would be releasing any information this soon about the PS4 though...
Asinine 49

Postby moogiesboy » 07 Jan 2013, 13:27

Stop using that badly photoshopped picture, it's horrid.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby BeauBeau » 07 Jan 2013, 13:36

There had better be a historically accurate giant enemy crab, or else I'm not buying it.
BeauBeau 48

Postby Simon Carlin » 07 Jan 2013, 13:49

Drusus wrote:c. E3 has a gigantic amount of people watching, it's huge free advertising, two odd hours of it...free.

E3 is far from free.

A small booth, last time I checked, cost about $1500 - that's just for a cubicle's worth of show space on the main floor, the theatre is another matter altogether although I imagine big hitters get to buy a package from the event organisers.

E3 is a hugely expensive deal for all concerned - that's a very good reason why the last few years have been dog s**t, the 3DS reveal not-with-standing, that was the last ace thing to happen at E3 IMO. But in order to clear coverage of E3, each provider must convince the finance directorship that they're going to be showing the right merchandise to justify the cost of such a large spend. It's f**k all to do with gamers, really. We'll spend not matter what, the real targets are those that don't... which leads me neatly onto the PS4, and something it will have in common with the new Xbox.

Getting more people to spend more often, calling that and will be ready with my finger on the smug mode switch when it comes to pass.

Why am I so sure? The top ten smart phone and tablet games of last year are almost all free, in fact without checking while I type, I actually think they are all free with IAPs generating huge amounts of revenue... this is the most attractive financial model in place at the moment and you can all bet your pubeless little love eggs that MS and Sony have been salivating over a way to introduce these models onto their new machines.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby martinawatson » 07 Jan 2013, 13:58

Just to say (to Sony), dont change the controller it rocks, OK , unless you are going to slightly increase width (just a smidge ) and put a Vita style back touch pad.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Next