to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Valve's Steam Box will be Linux-based; reveal due 2013 - rep

Your comments on our articles.

Germany tech conference appears to have shed new light on Valve's mysterious console

According to a report on a German tech website, Valve's Steam Box will launch in 2013 and will use Linux instead of Windows.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Valve's Steam Box will be Linux-based; reveal due 2013 - rep

Postby tmulford » 07 Jan 2013, 00:05

Makes sense keeps the price down significantly. The only downside is that the vast majority of steam games are windows based, maybe they have a trick for that too.
tmulford 58

Re: Valve's Steam Box will be Linux-based; reveal due 2013 -

Postby Mobius01 » 07 Jan 2013, 00:10

tmulford wrote:The only downside is that the vast majority of steam games are windows based, maybe they have a trick for that too.

Yeah, the list of Linux compatible games is rather weak at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&os=linux
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby damoxuk » 07 Jan 2013, 00:18

Hmm sounds like they want to save cost on not paying Microsoft for Windows licensing.

Unfortunately means Steambox will be woefully pointless - better to get a cheap laptop/small PC and plug it into your big TV and use Big Picture Mode.

Still no idea why they want to go this route when they have the PC Download market wrapped up.

UNLESS they make say Half Life 3 Steambox exclusive - but then again all that would do is p**s off everyone.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby sh4dow83 » 07 Jan 2013, 00:20

Funny, because I think that Steam is a catastrophe for every gamer. Of course they can't see it because average people just love the rough sex from behind, as one can also see by the politicians they vote for... :roll:
sh4dow83 43

Postby Drusus » 07 Jan 2013, 01:59

sh4dow83 wrote:Funny, because I think that Steam is a catastrophe for every gamer. Of course they can't see it because average people just love the rough sex from behind, as one can also see by the politicians they vote for... :roll:

Yeah Steam has been terrible, so many cheap games, they're killing me with deals. Valve is also notoriously anti gamer. I would vote for Gaben
Drusus 58

Postby Mobius01 » 07 Jan 2013, 02:15

sh4dow83 wrote:Funny, because I think that Steam is a catastrophe for every gamer. Of course they can't see it because average people just love the rough sex from behind, as one can also see by the politicians they vote for... :roll:

Wait, what? Are you being facetious?
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby Sixty9Eyes » 07 Jan 2013, 09:47

no hes just butthurt. probably owns a turd box or s**t station.
Sixty9Eyes 23

Postby plightstar » 07 Jan 2013, 10:01

Yeah cheap games, easy install, auto updates of patches, all my games/friends in one place and having easy access to my games with the need for space eating DVD's or CDs' is a terrible thing to have.
plightstar 34

Xbox Live: PLIGHTSTAR1
Steam: plightstar

Postby ricflair » 07 Jan 2013, 10:08

Maybe he's talking about the excessive prices of new/non sale games (retail is nearly always cheaper) and it's inherent DRM restrictions.

I think steam is a great service, but it has some drawbacks. I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as his comments though. But then I also wouldn't use ridiculous names for consoles like the cock a couple of posts up! Or use the term 'butthurt'.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby theideal » 07 Jan 2013, 10:11

What about 'arsedamaged'?
Yeah, I think I'm going to try and get arsedamaged in somewhere.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby Skullet » 07 Jan 2013, 14:41

Its got nothing to do with Newell's feelings about Windows 8 and everything to do with licence fees, but you wouldn't expect someone writing for CVG to know that I guess.

Personally theres no place in my heart for Linux I'll stick with Steam on the PC.
Skullet 60

Postby MPH » 07 Jan 2013, 15:02

theideal wrote:What about 'arsedamaged'?
Yeah, I think I'm going to try and get arsedamaged in somewhere.

You can get arsedamaged in my house if you want? :wink:

/notgayorbi
MPH 54

Postby Moribundman » 07 Jan 2013, 16:23

If you look at the number of Mac vs PC games on Steam, its not shockingly extensive but its not s**t either.

If Linux has more momentum behind it and Valve work their magic to push the OS together with Big Picture, MS might just find new releases being simultaneously released for Linux as well as Windows, plus everyone's old faves being ported to Linux by publishers and fanboys alike until future Windows is a gaming laughing stock like Mac OS used to be.

Actually, you know that if Steam via Linux did REALLY well, EA/Origin would be parting their butt cheeks for a slice of buttered Windows 8 toast (or vice versa).
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby funkyjack » 07 Jan 2013, 16:29

If it's Linux based then I think it's more likely it's being designed like Apple TV, to stream games to your big TV from your gaming PC over your home network and/or from the Steam Cloud.

That makes more sense to me than actually running Steam games from the box itself.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby damoxuk » 07 Jan 2013, 18:22

I see the word "if" bandied around a lot. If I won the lottery I would buy a house etc. :D

Valve will port there games to Linux but as the PC market is smaller in terms of non indie/f2p market compared to console as it is what's the chances of devs porting titles?

No titles no one is interested - no steam box sales means publishers are more reluctant. Just look at Vita it's a catch-22 scenario.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Next