to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Maybe it's time for Sega to make the new generation of cons

Your comments on our articles.

Dreamcast 2 anyone?

On this week's mailbox we've got Kieran Jeary who thinks Sega should re-join the video game console arms race.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'Maybe it's time for Sega to make the new generation of cons

Postby higgins78 » 05 Jan 2013, 17:19

I'm afraid the market has become way to jaded to accept anything radical or even slightly different. Look at either of Nintendo's last 2 offerings, the Nintendo Wii and Wii U...both have been met with skepticism for not simply replicating what Sony and Microsoft are peddling. No, I'm afraid its too late to ever go back to a simpler and fun time.
higgins78 40

Re: 'Maybe it's time for Sega to make the new generation of

Postby Stryker89 » 05 Jan 2013, 17:48

higgins78 wrote:I'm afraid the market has become way to jaded to accept anything radical or even slightly different. Look at either of Nintendo's last 2 offerings, the Nintendo Wii and Wii U...both have been met with skepticism for not simply replicating what Sony and Microsoft are peddling. No, I'm afraid its too late to ever go back to a simpler and fun time.

The Wii U maybe, but the Wii was met with great anticipation from both the casual and hardcore (don't deny it, there's some awesome games on the Wii), and the sales figures certainly adhere to that.

I'm sure I read a while back that Sega were planning on eventually downsizing their company to download-only games. Is that still going ahead?
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 05 Jan 2013, 17:55

Not going to happen. SEGA have no money - certainly nowhere near enough to re-enter the console race.
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby flyfletch » 05 Jan 2013, 18:34

JustOneMoreGo wrote:Not going to happen. SEGA have no money - certainly nowhere near enough to re-enter the console race.

If i had a few billion spare i would change this! i would love a Dreamcast 2......Ah well, until a make a few billion i think it will have to wait lol.
flyfletch 70

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Jan 2013, 19:05

Yup, it would be awesome- the Dreamcast was the most under rated console ever- but my personal favourite. I'd happily trade my current consoles in for a return of the old school Sega but alas, they're a shadow of their former selves. I'm loving all these downloadable Dreamcast and mega drive games as of late. And Sonic CD was awesome to play again.

Sonic Adventure did/still does suck though.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby freds1 » 05 Jan 2013, 19:10

They wouldn't take the risk again surely? The DC was a great console, but it still didn't do as well as they'd hoped. The PS2 saw to that, and now there is even more competition.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 56

Postby toaplan » 05 Jan 2013, 19:25

I think the first priority for Sega would be to keep on improving the quality of their Japan-developed games, which has been slowly happening. Sonic Generations, VF5: Final Showdown and Binary Domain have been steps in the right direction (quality-wise at least) and Yakuza 5 has been looking impressive in the previews and enjoyed great Week 1 sales in Japan.

But they'd need to release more games, score some hits and bulk up their studio resources again. Then surprise Sony and MS in a couple of years by bringing out a Sega Tera Drive that would smoke the competition :P First-party launch window games would include: Virtua Fighter 6, Sonic Ultra, Shen Mue 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, OutRun Paradise, Streets of Rage Neo, Super Shinobi Returns, Rez 4K...
toaplan 73

Postby razors edge » 05 Jan 2013, 19:30

As Bad Santa says:

'Why don't you wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see which one fills up fastest?'

It was a great machine hitched to a gaming titan that was in the last throes of impaling itself upon its own trident. RIP.
razors edge 41

Postby flyfletch » 05 Jan 2013, 19:32

toaplan wrote:I think the first priority for Sega would be to keep on improving the quality of their Japan-developed games, which has been slowly happening. Sonic Generations, VF5: Final Showdown and Binary Domain have been steps in the right direction (quality-wise at least) and Yakuza 5 has been looking impressive in the previews and enjoyed great Week 1 sales in Japan.

But they'd need to release more games, score some hits and bulk up their studio resources again. Then surprise Sony and MS in a couple of years by bringing out a Sega Tera Drive that would smoke the competition :P First-party launch window games would include: Virtua Fighter 6, Sonic Ultra, Shen Mue 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, OutRun Paradise, Streets of Rage Neo, Super Shinobi Returns, Rez 4K...

Please dont, its breaking my heart knowing this may never happen :cry: Oh what i would give!!!
flyfletch 70

Postby RoOhDiNi » 05 Jan 2013, 19:49

What I want to see is Sega collaborating with Nintendo...

Wii U:
Senmue 3,
Jet Set Radio Online,
Phantasy Star Online 2 Ultimate,
MSR Underground,
Panzer Dragoon Universe

3DS:
Panzer Dragoon 3D
Ecco 3D
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Jan 2013, 20:01

RoOhDiNi wrote:What I want to see is Sega collaborating with Nintendo...

Wii U:
Senmue 3,
Jet Set Radio Online,
MSR Underground

3DS:
Panzer Dragoon 3D
Ecco 3D

HISS! HISSSSS! Ahem. Sorry- I've already seen my childhood hero become Mario's b!tch in an attempt to stay relevant. No more, please! All the consoles would benefit from some of Sega's back catalogue of games given a reboot. Ninty have their own. If I ever see a game starring Link and Vyse I will be moving to live on the moon with the corpses of Tom Cruise and that killer whale.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby higgins78 » 05 Jan 2013, 20:13

RoOhDiNi wrote:What I want to see is Sega collaborating with Nintendo...

Wii U:
Senmue 3,
Jet Set Radio Online,
MSR Underground,
Panzer Dragoon Universe

3DS:
Panzer Dragoon 3D
Ecco 3D

The idea you are suggesting is exactly whats wrong/stagnant with the videogames industry at present..."remake"/sequels as far as the eye can see. We don't need Shenmue 3 as much as Shenmue 2 wasn't warranted. The great things about games such as Shenmue (for example) were its uniqueness, that is was clearly a labor of love, milestone. "Remakes" and sequels simply dilute the experience and besides, Nintendo's Wii - if you had cared to look - had plenty of those titles last gen, fresh IP's trying new ideas...problem is, people it appears simply want more COD, GTA, etc, etc.
higgins78 40

Postby Clusks » 05 Jan 2013, 20:14

SEGA need to find a way to make an unbelievably great, modern Sonic game. Not saying things like Generations are bad (still need to play it and it looks like a step in the right direction), but they need a game that does for Sonic what Galaxy did for Mario (truly inventive and something that is invigorating).

Not bothered about a SEGA console, they just need to get some fresh, creative people in to make SEGA into the powerhouse every gamer should want them to be.
Clusks 45

Postby higgins78 » 05 Jan 2013, 20:18

MrPirtniw wrote:Yup, it would be awesome- the Dreamcast was the most under rated console ever- but my personal favourite. I'd happily trade my current consoles in for a return of the old school Sega but alas, they're a shadow of their former selves. I'm loving all these downloadable Dreamcast and mega drive games as of late. And Sonic CD was awesome to play again.

Sonic Adventure did/still does suck though.

The notion of The Dreamcast being the most "under rated console" is rubbish. Talk to anybody who owned one at they will do little but sing it praises. All it didn't do was sell as well as the PS2 so what makes anybody think times have changed should Sega release a new console? Lets just for those of us lucky enough to have owned and played may classics via The Dreamcast remember the good times...
higgins78 40

Postby higgins78 » 05 Jan 2013, 20:21

Clusks wrote:SEGA need to find a way to make an unbelievably great, modern Sonic game. Not saying things like Generations are bad (still need to play it and it looks like a step in the right direction), but they need a game that does for Sonic what Galaxy did for Mario (truly inventive and something that is invigorating).

Not bothered about a SEGA console, they just need to get some fresh, creative people in to make SEGA into the powerhouse every gamer should want them to be.

Dont you honestly believe they (Sega) would produce and sell a Sonic game of the quality of Mario Galaxy every year if they could? Problem being Nintendo have - in my opinion - the greatest game developers in the world and Sega currently do not. You make it sound so easy when describing how Sega should simply release a Sonic game to end all others in the line...
higgins78 40

Next