to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

American McGee's Red Riding Hood game hits Kickstarter

Your comments on our articles.

Spicy Horse sets $200k target for Akaneiro: Demon Hunters

American McGee's Red Riding Hood-inspired PC and Mac action game, Akaneiro: Demon Hunters has launched its Kickstarter portal.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

American McGee's Red Riding Hood game hits Kickstarter

Postby metallicorphan » 04 Jan 2013, 17:52

I loved Alice Madness Returns and i would like to support this game,but i am not a Tablet/PC/whatever player,i am a console player

either way i wish them luck with the Kickstarter
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Re: American McGee's Red Riding Hood game hits Kickstarter

Postby Balladeer » 04 Jan 2013, 18:12

This looks really interesting. I'm very much into Japanese-y games, including ARPGs with a Japanese style; and the aesthetics look really nice. I wasn't going to back it immediately, but I was considering doing so in the future.

But free to play.

I can approach this from one of two directions. There's the optimistic direction: the model they're using looks pretty good on paper, with nothing really preventing one from chugging through the game normally. "No hidden subscription, no paying for power. We will never apply prohibitive costs to core gameplay content or character progression. Nothing will be off limits to non-paying players." All sounds pretty okay. But there's a cynical little voice inside my head saying, "what counts as 'prohibitive' to you might not count as 'prohibitive' to them."

The pledge goes on to say, "On this subject, we’d really like to encourage backers to let us know their thoughts." That's nice, assuming sincerity. Unfortunately I'm a busy, lazy, antisocial chap who doesn't really want to engage like this. I just want to be able to play a one-off price, maybe with different levels available for different moneys (I don't like it, but I'd swallow it if I had to), to get everything in the game potentially unlockable, and without the scheme favouring those who have more money to spend in-game.

That may be too much to ask in today's society. Regardless, it's put me off what looks like a promising title. I wish the team all the best in their efforts, but I'm not backing this for now.
Balladeer 78

Postby Jingee » 04 Jan 2013, 23:30

Just when you never thought you'd see another game looking like Okami.

I wish EA would stop being arses and let McGee develop the next Alice title. Either that, or Spicy Horse need to look for a new publisher.
Jingee 50

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jan 2013, 00:05

@Balla

Depends on how the game is designed really.

I've got a game on my phone, Middle Manager of Justice, it's a F2P game by Double Fine, I've put hours into and never have I been required to fork any cash over to progress or unlock content, like any console game everything is there from the start or you unlock stuff through in-game progression.

I won't argue that some devs don't abuse the F2P model, they do, some use dirty tactics like purposefully slowing down progression to force you to buy a speed boost BUT not all of them do. Not every F2P game is "Pay to win" or whatever the internet has christened it.

The best F2P games actually make you want to hand over cash to support the developer, something I did myself, I left a review for DF congratulating on doing F2P properly and gave them a couple of quid by buying one of the in app purchases, I didn't need to buy it at all but honestly I felt a little bad that I was playing a good game and DF wouldn't see any reward from it.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Balladeer » 05 Jan 2013, 00:09

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I do like the look of the game (as Jingee said, it's channelling Okami which is never not a good thing); so I might leave a small backing amount as a gamble/excuse to leave feedforward, and then read some reviews when/if it emerges.
Balladeer 78

Postby dwhlufc » 05 Jan 2013, 00:11

I did the same with "middle manager of justice" , Dodo. It was free and I felt so guilty playing it that I bought a pack to make up for it. You really don't need to purchase anything to progress or win in that title and I praise Double Fine for doing it in a honest manner.
dwhlufc 76

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jan 2013, 00:19

@Balla

I'm not saying you should back it but if the game is made and released and it's F2P then give it a try, you've got nothing to lose. Like I said some do it right like MMOJ, some do it wrong, the beauty is it costs nothing to found out.

EDIT: Good lad dave :D
TheLastDodo 77

Postby FAUNA » 05 Jan 2013, 23:28

I want this for PS3/360 SOOOO MUCH! I only play consoles. Alice: Madness Returns is a true masterwork...
FAUNA 35