to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony anti-used game patent leads to GameStop stock plunge

Your comments on our articles.

Analyst believes "reaction is overblown"

GameStop's stock price dropped six percent on Thursday following reports that new technology patented by Sony could eliminate the pre-owned games market.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony anti-used game patent leads to GameStop stock plunge

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 04 Jan 2013, 09:24

Of course it's overblown, it's just a goddamn patent.

Strictly prohibiting used games to work on a hardware level would be suicide. Looks more like a compulsory online pass system than anything else.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: Sony anti-used game patent leads to GameStop stock plung

Postby Ali_ » 04 Jan 2013, 09:58

It dropped 6.5%. Is that a plunge?
Ali_ 57

Postby tmulford » 04 Jan 2013, 10:12

Ali_ wrote:It dropped 6.5%. Is that a plunge?

It is if it's your money invested in their stock.
tmulford 58

Postby try4life » 04 Jan 2013, 10:24

poor gamestop :lol: :lol: :lol:
try4life 39

Postby illage2 » 04 Jan 2013, 10:27

Hey ..... did anyone read the article ...

Anything Patcher says is wrong. Remember?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Agent75 » 04 Jan 2013, 10:47

Are Sony going to do the same with their DVD and Blu-ray players? You could go on forever with millions of other items that you can buy used. Plus you could argue that it's your human rights to buy used items. The gaming industry won't win this one if it turns into a legal battle.
Agent75 48

Postby FixBeatGames » 04 Jan 2013, 10:51

by the way, i know CVG seems to have some anti-playstation thing going on and always has, but PS4 IS NOT THE ONLY SYSTEM THIS IS BEING TALKED ABOUT ON...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -fantastic

devs all over the place are wanting this, as it's ONLY devs who truly lose out. not just for ps4, but for the next xbox and anything else their games are to be released on. so don't anybody go thinking that ONLY sony would implement this. as much as CVG would like you to believe that. :roll:
FixBeatGames 41

Postby starvinbull » 04 Jan 2013, 11:55

Agent75 wrote:Are Sony going to do the same with their DVD and Blu-ray players? You could go on forever with millions of other items that you can buy used. Plus you could argue that it's your human rights to buy used items. The gaming industry won't win this one if it turns into a legal battle.

How can it be a human right to buy something?

Could someone claim a human right to buy a child, a rocket launcher or a vial of plague?

If Sony decide you can't play used games then that's their decision. The only right you have is to not buy their stuff.
starvinbull 59

Postby FixBeatGames » 04 Jan 2013, 12:06

starvinbull wrote:
Agent75 wrote:Are Sony going to do the same with their DVD and Blu-ray players? You could go on forever with millions of other items that you can buy used. Plus you could argue that it's your human rights to buy used items. The gaming industry won't win this one if it turns into a legal battle.

Could someone claim a human right to buy a child, a rocket launcher or a vial of plague?

If Sony decide you can't play used games then that's their decision. The only right you have is to not buy their stuff.

this. lol @ 'human right' to buy something cheap. i bet you moan when the same 'human rights' means 'foreigners' come to your country and can claim benefits though. ok to use 'human rights' in ridiculous ways when it suits, huh?
FixBeatGames 41

Postby StonecoldMC » 04 Jan 2013, 12:11

starvinbull wrote:

Id like to buy a rocket launcher that fires a child infested with a plague. How much are they and how many Games would I need to trade in to get one?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby S-Smith » 04 Jan 2013, 12:44

"Elsewhere, an analyst for Janney Capital has noted a similar pattern in the lead up to the PS3's launch." Well there you go lol This is just the start of the PS4 internet bashing really i bet, sad but true:-/
S-Smith 41

Postby timtimity » 04 Jan 2013, 12:58

A lot of companies patent ideas. It doesn't mean they'll actually do anything with them.

This could just be a reaction to the similar story about the next Xbox a few months ago. Sony might not have any intention of implementing it but may just be patenting a way of blocking used games so if Microsoft want to do it in the future they may have to pay a fee to Sony.
timtimity 29

Postby Ali_ » 04 Jan 2013, 13:24

FixBeatGames wrote:by the way, i know CVG seems to have some anti-playstation thing going on and always has, but PS4 IS NOT THE ONLY SYSTEM THIS IS BEING TALKED ABOUT ON...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -fantastic

devs all over the place are wanting this, as it's ONLY devs who truly lose out. not just for ps4, but for the next xbox and anything else their games are to be released on. so don't anybody go thinking that ONLY sony would implement this. as much as CVG would like you to believe that. :roll:

THe short sighted view point is that this will increase new sales. I can't see it. It'll just stop people taking a punt on a game they might not otherwise buy if it has no second value. I've bought games on numerous occasions with the thinking "if I don't like it, I can trade it in next time". If this came to be, I wouldn't bother buying the B list games in the first place.
Ali_ 57

Postby Resident Dante » 04 Jan 2013, 13:30

How many ps3 users will seriously consider buying a PS4 with this feature. If Microsoft dont follow suit with a preowned games block, this could mean serious trouble for sony's gaming business, although there have been rumours microsoft were considering it. Also Dice and Crytek i.e. EA, what this feature to be added.
Resident Dante 43

Postby roland82 » 04 Jan 2013, 13:43

FixBeatGames wrote:Are Sony going to do the same with their DVD and Blu-ray players? You could go on forever with millions of other items that you can buy used. Plus you could argue that it's your human rights to buy used items. The gaming industry won't win this one if it turns into a legal battle.

this. lol @ 'human right' to buy something cheap. i bet you moan when the same 'human rights' means 'foreigners' come to your country and can claim benefits though. ok to use 'human rights' in ridiculous ways when it suits, huh?

Haha, funny. In all seriousness though I think it could be argued that trading assets they you have fairly paid for is some kind of legal right. I know that buying a game doesnt mean you 'own' the game just a license to play but I think a court in Europe is working on a way now to allow people to resale digital games. As said before I think this would fail in court.
roland82 58

Next