to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Square Enix's Luminous Studio will be in-house only

Your comments on our articles.

No plans to license next-gen engine

Square Enix CEO Mike Fischer has confirmed Luminous Engine will be in-house only, ruling out licensing the next-gen engine to third-parties.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Square Enix's Luminous Studio will be in-house only

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 04 Jan 2013, 05:38

I dont blame them, it looks stunning.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Re: Square Enix's Luminous Studio will be in-house only

Postby Imaduck » 04 Jan 2013, 07:51

Just Cause 3!
Imaduck 58

Postby damoxuk » 04 Jan 2013, 09:31

Next Gen will see more studio's use there own engines to save costs on buying licenses.

EA for example will be using there frostbite 2 engine for most if not all games.

The only losers next gen is Epic who won't have as many studio's using there Unreal 4 engine.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby illage2 » 04 Jan 2013, 10:29

When will people realise that graphics alone won't make a great game. I'd rather play a fun game with crappy graphics than have a beautiful but boring game (AKA GTA4)
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Skullet » 04 Jan 2013, 11:52

illage2 wrote:When will people realise that graphics alone won't make a great game. I'd rather play a fun game with crappy graphics than have a beautiful but boring game (AKA GTA4)

What people?
Skullet 60

Postby darry » 04 Jan 2013, 12:08

Skullet wrote:
illage2 wrote:When will people realise that graphics alone won't make a great game. I'd rather play a fun game with crappy graphics than have a beautiful but boring game (AKA GTA4)

What people?

Plus, when was the last time you played a great looking game and thought "This would be more fun if it had worse graphics."?
darry 54

Postby sbisset » 04 Jan 2013, 13:19

Hmmm would've thought Squeenix would've learnt from the Crystal Dynamics fiasco that they could save themselves a lot of time and effort by NOT using their own engine. Sure they can train their staff to perfect it, but the reason people use Unreal is that its robust but streamlined. This new engine will just mean their games take twice as long to produce as usual and they'll end up cutting corners on gameplay/story to finish them in time.
As for engine tech demos, the Luminous demo doesnt look half as good as the Unreal 4. Maybe its just down to content but the Luminous one doesnt look anymore realistic than current gen pre-rendered sequences (although i know the point being its realtime, not prerendered).
sbisset 21

Postby totakeke » 04 Jan 2013, 14:03

The engine does a whole lot more than graphics. It's also responsible for the underlying physics and the camera control of the game.
totakeke 55

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Postby ingy » 04 Jan 2013, 14:26

totakeke wrote:

The engine does a whole lot more than graphics. It's also responsible for the underlying physics and the camera control of the game.

Well said, i've never understood the graphics v gameplay comparison, after all, our consoles are nothing more than a graphics machine.
You can't have one without the other, the better the graphics, the better the immersion etc. Would skyrim for example play just as well with crap graphics? or bioshock maybe in wireframe, don't think so.
ingy 63

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 04 Jan 2013, 19:51

sbisset wrote:Hmmm would've thought Squeenix would've learnt from the Crystal Dynamics fiasco that they could save themselves a lot of time and effort by NOT using their own engine. Sure they can train their staff to perfect it, but the reason people use Unreal is that its robust but streamlined. This new engine will just mean their games take twice as long to produce as usual and they'll end up cutting corners on gameplay/story to finish them in time.
As for engine tech demos, the Luminous demo doesnt look half as good as the Unreal 4. Maybe its just down to content but the Luminous one doesnt look anymore realistic than current gen pre-rendered sequences (although i know the point being its realtime, not prerendered).

please go back to whatever planet you came from
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby MrPirtniw » 04 Jan 2013, 21:19

ingy wrote:Well said, i've never understood the graphics v gameplay comparison, after all, our consoles are nothing more than a graphics machine.
You can't have one without the other, the better the graphics, the better the immersion etc. Would skyrim for example play just as well with crap graphics? or bioshock maybe in wireframe, don't think so.

Not so sure about that, squire. I'll happily tolerate a game that's graphics aren't utterly magnificent than play something super beautiful but is as bland as boiled rice. I was replaying the Space Quest games the other day and despite being all text and pixels the size of your average brick I was totally immersed (and thoroughly amused).

Bioshock with worse graphics already exists doesn't it? It's called System Shock. :wink:
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby sbisset » 05 Jan 2013, 00:37

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:please go back to whatever planet you came from

Wow such insightful knowledge you possess. I can understand if reading is difficult for you, what with your parents being siblings, but if you have an issue you should at least state it. My point is that Square Enix have had to outsource existing games using their Crystal Engine just to complete them on time because its so slow/difficult to work with. They have gone as far as stopping using their own engine and buying the rights to use Unreal 3 engine simply to streamline their workload and reduce the number of bugs/problems they have by using their own engine. What makes you think this won't be the same problem all over again? The FF7 PS3 tech demo was amazing for its time but you still dont see games looking that good.
Maybe do some research of your own before you comment next time. I realise that they only allow you 30 mins on the computer in your care home, and thats with adult supervision; but if you can bring yourself to stop trying to lick the monitor for a few minutes you might learn something instead of wasting peoples time.
sbisset 21

Postby FAUNA » 05 Jan 2013, 23:39

Simply the most impressive engine in existence. PLEASE MAKE 'AGNI'S PHILOSOPHY' INTO AN ACTUAL GAME!
FAUNA 35

Postby STE MO » 06 Jan 2013, 13:52

People that say games have to look amazing to be great need to seriously think about one thing. MINECRAFT. Does it look good? No. Does it have advanced physics? No. Does it have guns? No. So why has the game sold over 18 million copy's on all formats? Because you can just pick it up, play it and have fun, explore or build, play with friends and family and create things. You don't have to have a great imagination to play it either, it helps but just building using the different materials gets your creative buds going.
STE MO 51