Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter fully funded

Your comments on our articles.

Project still has 38 hours remaining; dev encourages funders to stretch goals

Frontier Developments' Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter has been fully funded.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter fully funded

Postby stonecold77 » 03 Jan 2013, 11:01

Added my pledge a month ago, can't wait for this.
PSN : STONECOLD77
Gaming since 1983.... DAMN I'M GETTING OLD.
stonecold77 53

Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter fully funded

Postby veato » 03 Jan 2013, 12:37

If a Mac version was announced from the get go I'd have been in. As it stands (or so I heard) they said they'd port it to Mac if they reach a certain higher goal. I wasn't going to fund it then on the basis I might get a version in the future to play. Shame.
What I'm Playing Most: Ni No Kuni (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / Kerbal Space Program (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 49

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby shadyMrPatch » 03 Jan 2013, 12:44

veato wrote:If a Mac version was announced from the get go I'd have been in. As it stands (or so I heard) they said they'd port it to Mac if they reach a certain higher goal. I wasn't going to fund it then on the basis I might get a version in the future to play. Shame.

It seems like quite a stupid goal to have as a stretch goal, for the very reason that you state.

Plus they want and extra quarter of a mil for an extra 10 ships? Errm... ok. Actually. No.

Still. I'm very excited by this, having backed the bare minimum to get a copy of the game. I've been playing the Open GL remake of Frontier Elite II on and off for the last 10 years. I'd be quite excited to play a truely modern version.
PSN : <not telling>
shadyMrPatch 44

Postby Black Mantis » 03 Jan 2013, 13:50

Happily backed the £20 option, as I've never played the originals. Roll on 2014!
Black Mantis 67

Postby nathar » 03 Jan 2013, 14:35

Its always encouraging when these tiny unknown indie studios get funded for a project of this scope. God knows how the 'large successful' company Braben runs would have been able to create this had it not been for the paying public. I'm off right now to pledge £5000 so I can have dinner with him. I expect the kickstarter to pay for the meal will be up and running in a couple of weeks so please give generously, and if we get to 1.4 mill I promise I'll get a Big Mac.
nathar 47

Postby Padua » 03 Jan 2013, 16:06

Black Mantis wrote:Happily backed the £20 option, as I've never played the originals. Roll on 2014!

If you have an Android device you can play ELITE on the BBC Emulator.

I backed £40 for the vanity of getting my name in the game :oops:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Synapze » 03 Jan 2013, 18:04

Was worried this wasn't going to hit its funding this time last week so great to see it finally make and exceed the target! Can still remember the original on the BBC model B and being amazed by it!!

Also, a big congratulations to Chris D. for getting the funding for Spuds Quest, looking good!
Synapze 7
New user

Postby AtomicHorror » 03 Jan 2013, 20:06

shadyMrPatch wrote:
Plus they want and extra quarter of a mil for an extra 10 ships? Errm... ok. Actually. No.

No, they want 150k to do a Mac port of the game and then a further 100k- not a quarter of a mil- to design, model, code, test and balance an additional 10 ships for launch day. If they don't get the 100k, they'll just do them after launch. I don't think that sounds unreasonable.
AtomicHorror 1
New user

Postby Sangor » 03 Jan 2013, 20:46

nathar wrote:Its always encouraging when these tiny unknown indie studios get funded for a project of this scope. God knows how the 'large successful' company Braben runs would have been able to create this had it not been for the paying public. I'm off right now to pledge £5000 so I can have dinner with him. I expect the kickstarter to pay for the meal will be up and running in a couple of weeks so please give generously, and if we get to 1.4 mill I promise I'll get a Big Mac.

You not having fries with that Big Mac :lol:
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby Padua » 04 Jan 2013, 10:32

veato wrote:If a Mac version was announced from the get go I'd have been in. As it stands (or so I heard) they said they'd port it to Mac if they reach a certain higher goal. I wasn't going to fund it then on the basis I might get a version in the future to play. Shame.

As it is currently over £1.4 million, the Mac version is funded already and will likely see the light way before a possible console version. Elite Kickstarter pledges seem to be trending now. I can see it closing at £1.5 million - meaning adding 10 more ship models at launch - as people jump in to take advantage of the rewards.

There are still 14 more hours if anyone else wants to pledge. I only played the original but it was a game way before its time and responsible for 100s of hours of enjoyment back in the 8-bit days.

My only sadness is the continuing discord between Braben and Bell.
That should have been a £2million stretch goal: Kiss and make up!
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby nathar » 04 Jan 2013, 16:01

Sangor wrote:You not having fries with that Big Mac :lol:

for 1.5mill I'll add 10 chips :)
nathar 47