Mutant Mudds dev to stop 3DS support if piracy strikes

Your comments on our articles.

Renegade Kid boss Jools Watsham concerned over recent hack news

Mutant Mudds and Dementium developer Renegade Kid says it will cease support for 3DS if the rampant piracy that plagued its predecessor breaks out on the console.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mutant Mudds dev to stop 3DS support if piracy strikes

Postby Laughlyn » 03 Jan 2013, 02:04

Isn't it weird that when nintendo made losses on the 3DS it was impossible to hack it. now since they announced they make a profit on each machine the hackers are starting to make headway. Nintendo have always made profits on all their machines and they've always been some of the easiest to play copied games. the ds and wii are quite possibly the easiest machines to hack, hell everything you needed for the wii at one point was available in a 10mb download off net, nothing else needed.

I said to a mate jokingly that since nintendo started making profit the hackers would have a flash card working soon and here we are. yeah its a little conspiracy theory but each of nintendos successful machines have all had one thing in common... simplicity of piracy, obviously it'd never be admitted by ninty but i think in next firmware or two there will suddenly be a security loophole the hackers will 'find' and 3DS sales will start to skyrocket.

Personally i'd love to see a flash card working on it, simply for someone to bring MinecraftDS over and in 3D because it'll be awesome. I love the work someone has put into a MC port and some of the homebrew apps have been amazing. there was a small google star maps thing on ds, with 3ds gyro that could turn into a proper star map app, not all homebrew/piracy is bad, it just allows bedroom developers to showcase their wares without expensive setup costs for 3ds ware/wiiware and lets face it, New Retro Mario bros was a far better job than the p***poor 25th anniversary offering nintendo offered up
Laughlyn 55

Re: Mutant Mudds dev to stop 3DS support if piracy strikes

Postby AJDarkstar » 03 Jan 2013, 05:05

You have a valid point. Look at the sales of PS1 & 2, also two of the easiest systems to pirate onto. Also see the PSP. All have fairly low attach rates, which only means one thing - rampant piracy.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby solamon77 » 03 Jan 2013, 07:54

Piracy hurts sales. There is no doubt about it. If piracy "helps" like so many people claim, then why did the revenues of both the music industry and the PC games industry tank at the exact same time and rate that broadband Internet was adopted? Take a look at the total revenue of the music industry over the past 10 years and tell me that the year on year decreases didn't have something to do with piracy.

Check out this link from CNNMoney that reports the yearly US Music industry total sales between 1999 and 2009: http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news/co ... _industry/

And I know that someone will make the point that people have been sharing music and games for a long time before the internet, but have they been sharing their new album/game with 10,000 people? Or have they been making a copy or two for a friend?
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Balladeer » 03 Jan 2013, 09:46

What do they expect, though? Every console is going to get hacked, and the more popular it is the harder it'll be hacked. It's a shame, but then people are selfish.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby console_whore » 03 Jan 2013, 11:18

Anything can be hacked, developers or anyone who says you can't hack are delusional, if everyone gave up due to piracy all markets would be crippled :(
console_whore 45

Xbox Live: chaosancient
PSN ID: chaosancient2

Postby Solm » 03 Jan 2013, 11:36

Hacking has been around since consoles began. I still prefer to buy games especially if they are resonably priced. I always found DS games expensive when compared to the likes of XBOX or PS3. Even second hand games. But I suppose it's due to piracy that the price of games on the DS didn't come down.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby billysastard » 03 Jan 2013, 12:34

this is the same developer who has already moved into ios development, i guess piracy isnt such an issue there ;)

oh and its the same dev that used an emulator reverse engineered by hackers and using a pirated copy of the nintendo ds boot rom to help develop at least one of their DS games.

i'm sure the fear of possible piracy is not anything to do with this company backing out of trying to sell its generally poor games on platforms with a wealth of decent games.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby BOYD1981 » 03 Jan 2013, 16:15

Maybe the second game only sold half as much because people didn't like the first one?

Piracy may hurt sales, but sales don't mean people like the game enough to buy any follow up, and FPS on the DS are really awful to play if you're the target audience of grownups whose hands obscure half the screen to navigate around with the stylus.
BOYD1981 47

Postby sbisset » 03 Jan 2013, 17:13

solamon77 wrote:Piracy hurts sales. There is no doubt about it. If piracy "helps" like so many people claim, then why did the revenues of both the music industry and the PC games industry tank at the exact same time and rate that broadband Internet was adopted? Take a look at the total revenue of the music industry over the past 10 years and tell me that the year on year decreases didn't have something to do with piracy.

Yes piracy hurts small developers but the lack of physical sales has nothing to do with piracy. Have you listened to music in the last 10 years? Its terrible. Films? With the exception of 2-3 excellent films produced each year, they're just the same old rehashed ideas made worse. Why would you go out and buy a CD or DVD anymore? Its not worth blowing £10 on either one when it'll just sit gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.
The music industry had it good for a long time and now cry because their profits arent what they used to be. Digital services mean the "Industry" doesnt have control anymore and cant monetise every artist and reap whatever they can like the used to.
Yes piracy in gaming is a terrible thing. It killed Sega from the console scene, im surprised any devs made games for the DS too. But there are enough people who want to physically own games and have no qualms in paying for them. Also in terms of PC gaming, it was around the same time that rampant DRM came into force when people moved over to consoles. If a company want to force you online all the time to play an offline game and force you to sign away any rights to even play the game you've bought, then its not surprising the hacktivist scene decide to fight back.

As for this article, I couldnt care less. Some "indie" game dev wants to make more money and get free publicity for his game then so be it. This story is nothing new.
sbisset 21

Postby stealth » 03 Jan 2013, 17:37

it wont so chill
stealth 47

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 03 Jan 2013, 17:53

PIRACY IS A CRIME.......

DO NOT ACCEPT IT.........

DEMAND A GENUINE ITEM FROM YOUR RETAILER..........

Anyone remember those adverts before you watched a film rented from a video store they were so cheesy, it was great.

On point.

Piracy has 2 sides, the chav council house scum who just copy everything because they are poor and stupid and then talk about how much they love sony etc but never give them any money and a very small percentage of people who use it as a glorified try before you buy service.

Im not going to lie i have pirated on almost every system ever made and at the same time have a games collection most of you on here would kill for so it can and does work, it all depends on the person.

If you want to eliminate piracy make games price wise in line with cinema ie.....

A film costs tens or hundreds of millions to make with a cast and crew of thousands and a cinema ticket is less than a tenner or a blu ray 15 notes, a game costs a couple of million to make with a cast and crew of hundreds and costs 40, more people apparently now buy games than go to the cinema so you tell me how the math adds up.

It doesnt.

If games were to be sold at say 19.99 rrp with retailers discount meaning closer to 16.99 etc then seriously who would even bother to pirate???? Only the complete bottom feeding in-bred scum who would copy anything even if it was free in the first place, thats who.

I'm definately in the homebrew section of the community though, i love playing really old stuff on my ds and psp because its easier to do than unpacking an old console and cartridge and exposing them to wear and tear etc, it allows me to protect my investments whilst still enjoying the game i paid the money for ages ago.

None of my current gen systems are hacked though, the ps3,360,vita,wii etc, whats the point??? You can get stuff for pennies on markets, ebay and your local cex. Plus having stuff in boxes always beats having roms on a hard drive.

Lastly the only people who lost out on the DS due to piracy were z list developers who produced shovelware, rubbish ports and awful games to jump on the bandwagon of the casual games market explosion, quality games sold.....And sold well. I have about 160 ish ds games and still need about 20 more to get what i would consider to be the definitive collection.

make rubbish, sell nothing, go broke, blame everything else..... It's the new vogue!
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby chamony » 03 Jan 2013, 20:48

makes you laugh when people say stuff along the lines of

Personally i'd love to see a flash card working on it, simply for someone to bring MinecraftDS over and in 3D because it'll be awesome. I love the work someone has put into a MC port and some of the homebrew apps have been amazing. there was a small google star maps thing on ds, with 3ds gyro that could turn into a proper star map app, not all homebrew/piracy is bad, it just allows bedroom developers to showcase their wares

yeah mate, thats all you'd buy a flash cart for.... homebrew, you'd never download pirated games oh no, not you, even though you could,

i dont buy those kind of arguments, anyone who goes to any effort to circumvent any copy protection isnt going to do it just to play stuff you can play just about anywhere, pc's phones etc

on a side note lets say they did successfully create a working flash cart for 3ds, and someone randomly ported minecraft to 3ds would you be happy depriving the original developer of his money because to you its homebrew, to him its copyright theft, and your still pirating.
chamony 39

Xbox Live: 1amGOD
PSN ID: 1amGOD
Steam: 1amGOD

Postby Laughlyn » 04 Jan 2013, 02:18

chamony wrote:makes you laugh when people say stuff along the lines of

Personally i'd love to see a flash card working on it, simply for someone to bring MinecraftDS over and in 3D because it'll be awesome. I love the work someone has put into a MC port and some of the homebrew apps have been amazing. there was a small google star maps thing on ds, with 3ds gyro that could turn into a proper star map app, not all homebrew/piracy is bad, it just allows bedroom developers to showcase their wares

yeah mate, thats all you'd buy a flash cart for.... homebrew, you'd never download pirated games oh no, not you, even though you could,

i dont buy those kind of arguments, anyone who goes to any effort to circumvent any copy protection isnt going to do it just to play stuff you can play just about anywhere, pc's phones etc

on a side note lets say they did successfully create a working flash cart for 3ds, and someone randomly ported minecraft to 3ds would you be happy depriving the original developer of his money because to you its homebrew, to him its copyright theft, and your still pirating.

of course av used a flash card or softmodding to play games before, just as majority of people nowdays have downloaded an mp3 or film to watch. it still hasn't stopped me having a game collection of around 300 games over various systems. and yeah, if mojang arn't goig to port minecraft in 3d then why not give praise to someone else who is willing to put the effort in? in turn if mojang monitor it they can use it to determine an official port is worth it. the pc has had official modding tools for years yet on consoles if someone modifies mario or zelda rom on a flash cart to make a better game its a crime, its nearly the same thing just the methods are slightly different. only the narrowminded will think hacking is only for piracy but there is a lot more interesting things with homebrew that most the time you dont even think about playing a copied game cos your too busy playing a fan made metroid game with a fantastic story when legitimate companies dont provide. half the gaming industry is built on the old bedroom coders writing 'pirate' code for c64 and spectrum to make their own games.
Laughlyn 55

Postby liveswired » 06 Jan 2013, 18:28

Considering Renegade Kids games are rubbish overpriced trash I think 3DS owners will survive.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 52

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired
Battle.net: NNID: liveswired