2012 criticised as Metacritic's worst for games

Your comments on our articles.

Last year resulted in 'lowest number of great games' claims reviews aggregator

2012 saw the lowest total number of great games since review aggregator Metacritic started its year-end reports in 2009, the company has said.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby illage2 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:28

Good games get slammed by people for stupid reasons on there.

Black Ops 2 .... thankfully has the lowest Metacrtic score of any game released since September. 4.3 it got.

[edit: I stand corrected NASCAR The Game got only 3.1 but no one really cares about that]

007 Legends - 4.4
Resident Evil 6 - 4.7
Epic Mickey 2 - 4.9

Even 007 Legends which is a failure managed to get a higher score than Black Ops 2..... you see ... you can't trust meta critic.
Last edited by illage2 on 02 Jan 2013, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby phate666 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:31

It was a fairly poor year for games. But I think 2011 set the bar ridiculously high and with so many "only" average games out this year, it was never going to live up to it. The mediocrity probably has a lot to do with that "17% drop" in sales as well. I certainly spent much less on games in '12 compared to '11 for this very reason.
"You gonna eat that stapler?"

"Wanna split it?"
phate666 51

Xbox Live: PillowyBarbecue
PSN ID: phate666

Postby nathar » 02 Jan 2013, 14:34

Seeing Thirty Flights of Loving rated as the 6th best release of last year on PC makes me happy.
nathar 47

Re: 2012 criticised as Metacritic's worst for games

Postby Nod Nolan » 02 Jan 2013, 14:39

Are games getting worse? or are games reviewers finally getting used to using a 10 point scale correctly?
Nod Nolan 33

Postby EvaaDJ » 02 Jan 2013, 14:57

Nod Nolan wrote:Are games getting worse? or are games reviewers finally getting used to using a 10 point scale correctly?

My thoughts exactly.
EvaaDJ 9
New user

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 02 Jan 2013, 16:05

The biggest problem right now is the complete lack of BUZZ in the games industry.

The last 3 console launches have been either rubbish or luke warm in both sales and quality of titles and the wii has died off the 360 and ps3 look a bit tired ideas wise and even christmas hasnt helped spark anything.

If you work in games retail right now or have done so recently you will understand what im saying, everyone else your just guessing from a standpoint of no experience.

What we really need is 2 new home consoles around the same price launched within 6 months of each other to start another round of console wars, it worked with megadrive v snes, ps1 v saturn v n64 and ps2 vs everything else (heh) this generation was fantastic because we had 3 home consoles all hugely popular at different times allowing for some fantastic PR wars, huge sales of software and an all round excitement buzz.

Right now almost every developer is bored of current tech, shops have little to get customers excited about and because so many of you on here shop online only theres very little in store hype and dialogue, a whole new round resets a lot of this......I hope

2012 was a very poor year sales wise however you look at it, i had this argument with LASTDODO a few weeks back, yes indie sales surged but that says a lot in itself doesnt it, almost every single large studio franchise took a step back in sales and very few new franchises or titles made it. Right now gamers as a whole just seem to be waiting.....Thats the best way i can describe it, its like a classic english thing with women at doors at your local marks and spencer.

You go first...... No you go first......No after you.......... Arghhhhhhhh somebody move dammit!!!!

Im not saying 2012 was rubbish for the games themselves, not at all.

On paper 2013 looks very strong, yes a lot of it are sequels but theres some very interesting new blood on the horizon, tearaway, last of us and especially ni-no-kuni look stunning, pikmin 3, bayonetta 2 etc may give a new console a kick up the bum sales wise and the new tomb raider and bioshock all make for a very exciting first half of the year.

If microsoft can get a new console launch for the end part and get some serious PR and advertising momentum going this horrible funk the industry is in can hopefully begin to fade away.

Everyone and their mum whines and moans about games being expensive and we are in a recession etc etc and thats why sales are low, thats just flat out completely wrong by the way considering every single major release has hit less than half its price within 3 weeks of being on sale, HITMAN was 14.00 2 days ago, i've seen res evil 6 at that price, the new sonic racing game, halo 4 has been 20 quid, the new lego lord of the rings has also hit 20 notes and fifa 13 and the new cod have all been less than 30 so dont try and tell me its because of price, its simply not. You could easily get 2-3 top games for the price of a night out having dinner or going to the cinema with a partner.

Things as a whole just are not selling, look at the other articles telling you about the massive percentage drops, now if games have mostly stayed the same graphics, size,price,content wise from 1-2 years ago but sales have slowed then whats the problem????? The problem is people want new, even if they dont know it yet.

Fingers crossed for a better year for everything and everyone and for the rise of the massively under appreciated PICKLED ONION SPACE RAIDERS.
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby G_R7 » 02 Jan 2013, 16:31

While I enjoyed a lot of games I can normally pick out a personal GotY with ease or at least have a short list. This year, while talking with friends on an XBox Live party the question come out about it and all 6 of us has problems naming a personal GotY because nothing really WOWed us. Sure, 2 of my mates picked Far Cry 3 but that happend after the first talk. I gave mine to The Walking Dead in the end but 3 of my mates still haven't named one. I nearly gave mine to Batman Arkham City on the Wii U but I think that would have been cheating seeing have it really is just a port of a 2011 game. Oh 2011... what a great year for games!
http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=GRose7 Visit my YouTube page for videos of my drunken fun including me downing a pint of beer in 3.2 seconds.
3DS Friend Code: 3007 8062 6995. Add me for Mario Kart 7 and any upcoming games!
G_R7 55

Xbox Live: G R7
PSN ID: G_R7

Postby toaplan » 02 Jan 2013, 17:26

Yeah, but SSX only got a Metascore of 81% and it's better than all those games... It seems to have been unnecessarily marked down by some reviewers who were frustrated by the game's difficulty.
toaplan 75

Postby phate666 » 02 Jan 2013, 17:26

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
Fingers crossed....for the rise of the massively under appreciated PICKLED ONION SPACE RAIDERS.

This
"You gonna eat that stapler?"

"Wanna split it?"
phate666 51

Xbox Live: PillowyBarbecue
PSN ID: phate666

Postby sulli456 » 02 Jan 2013, 19:23

2 people should review a game, one plays and writes a review, someone else who has not played it reads the review and gives it a score in accordance to what it sounded like in the review. I think that would yield a more reliable score for a game.
sulli456 47

Postby damoxuk » 02 Jan 2013, 19:39

Maybe more reviewers are critical of games.

Unlike Movies for some reason a 7 is "average" for games which frankly is bullshit. A 7 of 3.5 stars for movies would be classed as Very Good.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 02 Jan 2013, 20:13

I think part of the reason for this is because we been having a lot of sequels lately and not many new ips. And when it comes to a sequel, it typically has to be pretty good(innovative too(COD is an exception) or it will be a flop. It also seems like the amount of games released has tremendously increased, you gotta set the bar somewhere. Also heavy criticism of games isn't necessarily bad, since you gotta push developers/publishers in improving their games, you don't want your favorite games turn into pure cash crops like COD.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby Stryker89 » 02 Jan 2013, 23:10

damoxuk wrote:Maybe more reviewers are critical of games.

Unlike Movies for some reason a 7 is "average" for games which frankly is bullshit. A 7 of 3.5 stars for movies would be classed as Very Good.

I really don't think movies and games can be compared in the same respect. People tend to be more forgiving of movie ratings because they're cheaper and generally over within two hours. Games are usually around £40 on release and should last a minimum of seven hours.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby Solm » 03 Jan 2013, 01:09

Some of my best games of this generation have been released this year. I thought 2012 was a great year, kingdoms of Amalur, journey, walking dead, spec ops. This year looks even better.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby Barca Azul » 03 Jan 2013, 09:43

Nod Nolan wrote:Are games getting worse? or are games reviewers finally getting used to using a 10 point scale correctly?

In the last year, the latter! I thought 2012 would be the last year of 360 and PS3 due to how poor it seemed to be for releases.

The two games ive enjoyed last year were Journey and Lego LotR.
Barca Azul 63