UK games market fell 17% in 2012

Your comments on our articles.

Digital sales grow 8% but not enough to cover physical decline

The UK games market declined 17.4 percent in 2012, the Entertainment Retailers Association has revealed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

UK games market fell 17% in 2012

Postby illage2 » 02 Jan 2013, 12:37

Maybe sales would be better if the prices were fairer. Why does it cost more for a digitally Distributed game than it does for a retail copy?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: UK games market fell 17% in 2012

Postby nologo » 02 Jan 2013, 12:54

hang on.. this can't be right. how many ppl here moan about not having a physical purchase over a digital...
:twisted:
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby Jingee » 02 Jan 2013, 13:05

You would think the publishers would go "Look, our new FPS is scheduled to come out at the same time as CoD, why not move it to the summer instead, where there are no other FPS' out".

Oh wait, I forgot EA don't tend to make sense with their stubbornness.
Jingee 51

Postby tekplyrx » 02 Jan 2013, 13:07

illage2 wrote:Maybe sales would be better if the prices were fairer. Why does it cost more for a digitally Distributed game than it does for a retail copy?

Simply greed my friend, simply greed... They complain of how the physical media is eroding their "profits" via second hand sales and anybody with an ounce of common sense would think "hey u know if we made the online versions cheaper maybe just maybe people will actually buy and therefore help us tackle this second hand nonsense" but then greeed my friend.... greeeed...
tekplyrx 40

Postby spamtin » 02 Jan 2013, 13:08

I think you will find it's called greed, would be much better sales if they priced it reasonable and not rip-off with no distribution, rent or wages to consider ;s.

Time for these companies to price digital accordingly and maybe they WILL see sales pick up a lot more.
spamtin 50

Postby tmulford » 02 Jan 2013, 13:59

Jingee wrote:You would think the publishers would go "Look, our new FPS is scheduled to come out at the same time as CoD, why not move it to the summer instead, where there are no other FPS' out".

Oh wait, I forgot EA don't tend to make sense with their stubbornness.

Rockstar have done very well with this tactic. Red Dead Redemption was a huge hit with a late Spring release and I dare say that GTA V with a late Spring release will be very successful, not just because it's GTA but because it can have a long run on the shelves without being challenged by other big titles until the Autumn.
tmulford 58

Postby Mr_Taxxz » 02 Jan 2013, 14:20

tekplyrx wrote:
illage2 wrote:Maybe sales would be better if the prices were fairer. Why does it cost more for a digitally Distributed game than it does for a retail copy?

Simply greed my friend, simply greed... They complain of how the physical media is eroding their "profits" via second hand sales and anybody with an ounce of common sense would think "hey u know if we made the online versions cheaper maybe just maybe people will actually buy and therefore help us tackle this second hand nonsense" but then greeed my friend.... greeeed...

I asked my friend who works on the PSN for Sony the exact same question. He then told me Sony (and I assume Microsoft) use cannibal marketing, which basically means Sony keeps digital distributed prices above retail prices, to ensure that us and the public continue to buy physical copies of games. Otherwise everyone would be buying digital distributed games instead of going out to Game and other retailers, and if this was to happen Game and Co would not stock Playstation consoles because Sony would be effectively price them out of the retail market, so Sony sets the price of digital games high to prevent this from happening. (I hope that makes sense)
Mr_Taxxz 4
New user

Postby Drusus » 02 Jan 2013, 14:31

highlanderjim wrote:thats coz most games of 2012 were rubbish. Look at the so called good ones. Dishonered is the classic example of how standards have slipped. its a terrible game. If it was an inide title at 14.99 then fine. but its a poor steatlh game with little to nothing new over something Deus Ex1 did a very long time ago.

I thought dishonoured was very good indeed, Deus Ex is super as you rightly point out but dishonoured was a great first game, not everyone can nail it first time, especially in an industry so keen to only copy CoD. Carry on ripping it apart online though, that'll show em for trying.

There were plenty of good games in 2012, the retail stores are losing because they refuse to meet the challenge, customer service has gone and prices have risen all while competing with an enemy that will send games directly to a customers house for far less. Customer service was all they had left but 95% of Game store employees know nothing about games and aren't there to help pro gamers, they're just there to harass you with a thousand stupid questions they have to ask you and then do the same the next time you come in. I don't know why because they have no answers nor do they have the power to change a thing in store to secure your custom.

Game are dead and I'm glad.
Drusus 59

Postby Stryker89 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:49

We want next-gen consoles. Why spend good money on yet more sequels when we know the new consoles are just around the corner?
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby WingZeroSys » 02 Jan 2013, 15:34

Which'll be filled with more sequels.
I'm no hero, never was, never will be, I'm just an old killer, hired to do a little wet work. sOLiD Snake, MGS4.
WingZeroSys 53

Postby tim788 » 02 Jan 2013, 15:47

for me personally i like having a physical collection of games and films etc as actually gives something to show for what you have brought and own.
tim788 53

Xbox Live: timson66

Postby Stryker89 » 02 Jan 2013, 16:06

WingZeroSys wrote:Which'll be filled with more sequels.

Yes, but many of the current franchises were born on the current gen systems; Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted... It's fair to assume there will be some new IPs with the next-gen consoles.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 02 Jan 2013, 16:08

Posted about this topic on the metacritic story because i may just still be not completely awake yet..........

Good start to 2013 eh?
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby billysastard » 02 Jan 2013, 16:13

why would this be a shock? retail sales drop because buyers want manuals and complete games not crippled, devalued titles, simply attempting to force people to digital distribution wont work on many people so whilst a few will be suckered into paying real money for ethereal content they will never own, consoles are not pc's and should stop trying to become them, they are toys to play games on not multimedia platforms and mini underpowered pc's with a shitton of additional drm and the sooner console makers accept that the sooner we the game buying public can get back to buying games.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Farmboy74 » 02 Jan 2013, 16:20

BBC news are reporting games sales in shops are down by 7% year on year. This could be down to the economy, new hardware coming out and people just sick of playing sequels.
Farmboy74 53

Next