to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA to shut down online servers for 12 titles in January

Your comments on our articles.

FIFA, Madden and NBA Jam to close

EA has confirmed they will retire online servers for 12 titles in an announcement on the EA website.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA to shut down online servers for 12 titles in January

Postby l1nc » 02 Jan 2013, 08:55

I"But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles to a level -- fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it's no longer feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running." What they should of said was " buy the new versions of our games because you can no longer play the old one's online" Nba jam is a shame though!
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 41

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Re: EA to shut down online servers for 12 titles in January

Postby dwhlufc » 02 Jan 2013, 10:27

I understand companies doing this but if any of these games required an EA online pass then surely they have to offer some sort of refund on your pass?
dwhlufc 76

Postby flyfletch » 02 Jan 2013, 10:39

dwhlufc wrote:I understand companies doing this but if any of these games required an EA online pass then surely they have to offer some sort of refund on your pass?

I was just about to say the same thing, anyone who bought it second hand for example would have probably invested in the online pass, they would need to be compensated.
flyfletch 71

Postby Mandatory Grape » 02 Jan 2013, 11:21

Online pass or not, these games are still played. You buy something, then have part of it taken away, all should be refunded.
Mandatory Grape 36

Postby Laughlyn » 02 Jan 2013, 12:35

dwhlufc wrote:I understand companies doing this but if any of these games required an EA online pass then surely they have to offer some sort of refund on your pass?

pretty sure there will be something in the small print that states EA can close online access down at any point. plus i believe the online pass has a 2 or 3 yr lifespan. there was talk last year that some ea players had to re-download the online pass (for free) again as the old one had expired
Laughlyn 55

Postby TheBusterMan » 02 Jan 2013, 12:54

Fifa 'soccer'? Must be an American article.
TheBusterMan 48

Postby Ali_ » 02 Jan 2013, 13:33

Never understood why they can't release a final patch freeing the games to be used P2P online? Well, apart from greed, that is.
Ali_ 57

Postby lawless1891 » 02 Jan 2013, 13:45

It ain't just older games

I've recently returned to battlefield 3 online and was surprisingly enjoying my time playing on Dice's conquest classics (hardcore) official servers (even though the map rotation is still broken) until 4 days ago when they all disappeared (once again).

It's quite eye opening for me that my continued enjoyment of BF3 is now so reliant on Dice's hardcore servers staying available because without them there is no way of playing Battlefield 3 hardcore conquest on official servers on PS3.

EA don't have any hardcore servers available.And the official EA U.K servers (PRGM) have disappeared.
lawless1891 58

Postby BenThomasFoster » 03 Jan 2013, 04:04

ahh that funny. fifa 11 already getting knocked off despite the whole online pass purchasing thing. EA the stingy
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49