Opinion: 'Poke forum trolls in the eye - gamers have never h

Your comments on our articles.

Rob Taylor welcomes in a new breed of savvier gamers

Gaming? It's rubbish. Well, that's what you might conclude if you wandered onto most gaming forums, where these days you'll likely encounter a festering pit of cynicism, conspiracy culture and fan rage - but perhaps that's more of a disappointing product of contemporary web culture than any truthful insight into the gaming zeitgeist. So pardon me while I hop onto my virtual soapbox for a moment, poke the forum trolls in the eye and wax lyrical about why we've never had it so good...... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: 'Poke forum trolls in the eye - gamers have never h

Postby Down with robots » 01 Jan 2013, 14:28

This may be looked back on as the end of the "story based game" era, because the future is obviously going to be multiplayer games. Single player games are becoming too expensive to make, and the next gen will require even more resources. Sadly, I see a time when I won't be interested in video games any more, because they'll all be doing the same thing, only wearing different hats.
Down with robots 52

Re: Opinion: 'Poke forum trolls in the eye - gamers have nev

Postby beemoh » 01 Jan 2013, 16:23

Down with robots wrote:because they'll all be doing the same thing, only wearing different hats.

What, they'll all be Team Fortress 2?
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby razors edge » 01 Jan 2013, 19:13

Down with robots wrote: because they'll all be doing the same thing, only wearing different hats.

Yeah, thats why I stopped going to Bangkok.
razors edge 43

Postby FIecher » 02 Jan 2013, 12:03

There's a lot I like about PC (mods, freebies, cheap games, power) but a lot I hate too, mainly that two of the afore mentioned likeable's kill the level playing field on PC and multiplayer on that platform is now so f**ked up because some retard is so s**t at games that they need every mod assist available to obtain a kill and then post how 'skilful' they are on youtube thus killing off any gameplay that once existed.

I seldom play PC games anymore because of this and prefer the level playing field of consoles (boo hiss). I do have some very big worries now though. I've been gaming since the early days of spectrum owning every major platform right up to present day but the way things are looking now my days of gaming are coming to an end. Apparently smart phone gaming is the way forward and many new devs are concentrating on this market and whilst I like the distraction for 15 minutes every now and again why do I even want to play a game that 50% of the time I cant see because my fingers are on the screen? 'Oh but you can get controllers for your mobile now' scream the masses but doesnt this just negate the mobile gaming market? Why not just buy a DS or Vita (cough cough).

XBox really needs to make its submitting process for games a cinch and attract more indie devs to the machine. Please make it so or my nightmare about sitting in a chair at home learning cross stitch may become a reality.
FIecher 29

Postby funkyjack » 02 Jan 2013, 14:03

I don't really agree with this opionion piece. Firstly I don't think MS are the guiding light you've made them out to be. Yes Xbox Live is a good service on console but what they are doing with Windows 8 is of great concern to PC gamers.

I've hardly touched my Xbox in 2 years, I much prefer gaming on my 4 year old PC at twice the resolution and because I'm enjoying my PC gaming experience more than ever before (Thanks Valve/Steam) I really want to know how MS intend to support PC gaming going forward. It absolutely MUST stay open, we don't need another Apple of Live service.

I also don't think gaming has improved or changed much recently, I've lost count of the number of games I've started, got bored and quit. The story is often written for someone of low intelligence, the dialogue cliched, the gameplay all about "shooting things" and the challenge = zero. Gaming has been simplified to the extreme. Wver since Gears of War introduced holding A for pretty much everything, that's what we've been doing!? Where's the challenge gone? Where's the depth? Where is an improvement in the decade old AI we're still combatting...?
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby roland82 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:32

I dont think single player games will ever completely die but big budget ones might do. Companies will always follow the money but indie devs just want to make fun games.

I think we have had it pretty good to be honest. More good games than we have time or money to play. The internet loves to hate unless its lolcats or bewbs.
roland82 58

Postby chedda memba » 02 Jan 2013, 15:20

I thought I already posted here but it has obviously not went through so here gos again.
I've been a gamer for a long time myself my first console being a NES and what a beauty it was too with some of the best games ever made IMO. In fact I remember playing pong on this grey/white and black, I think, box of tricks which I think was the Intellvision or something so it's been quite a ride. I think this gen has easily been the best however with the Xbox producing the goods and when people talk about a golden age in gaming I think this gen is the closest to it.

Now before the fanboys start calling me a fanboy I've owned all consoles this gen (except Wii U or is that next gen I'm not sure) and again IMO the Xbox has been the best experience. Well of the consoles at least. However I do think they need to make it easier for indie devs to get there games on the console I mean here in Australia there is no Indie games section on our Xboxs so I think that has to change. But really there's that much more out there now compared to when I was a kid you don't have to look hard to find good quality whether it be on consoles, pc, handheld or mobile so yes I think his gen would be the closest to a golden age of gaming.

I think Nintendo have to step up though ok the Wii was huge for them but lets be honest the majority of games were shovel ware and Nintendo WERE gaming for a long time imo and I would hate to see them go the way of sega although seeing Nintendo titles eg Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. on my Xbox has always been a wish of mine. And once the new Xbox and ps arrive the Wii U is going to look outdated very quickly.

All in all though the next gen is going to be amazing with the Xbox leading the pack Sony doing a better job of it this time round and who knows maybe even returning to its former glory although I doubt it and Nintendo sticking to doing only what Nintendo can do and that is doing what ever the hell it likes regardless of its competitors. Roll on November 2013.
chedda memba 40

Postby TheLastDodo » 03 Jan 2013, 00:14

God bless you Rob Taylor.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Axe99 » 03 Jan 2013, 20:31

For someone apparently discussing how much MS has learned, it's a little odd the author didn't mention the competitor that kept them honest, without which they likely wouldn't have implemented half of the improvements they did ;). Same goes for the PS3 - it's leaps and bounds ahead of where it would be without Xbox pushing it all the way. It's easy to complain about forum trolls, but when the 'journalistic' opinion is so incredibly blinkered, it's not hard to see why.
Axe99 15
New user