to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Exposed: PlayStation in 2013

Your comments on our articles.

PS4, next Assassin's Creed, Battlefield 4 − we reveal everything we know about PlayStation and Xbox in 2013

Christmas 2013 is the full stop for this generation's very long story. In the year to come, PS3 will get the send-off it deserves after seven years of hard work.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 29 Dec 2012, 15:06

Aliens, Lost Planet 3 and the last of us are three games im really looking forward to. Lost Planet was a brilliant idea, but just didnt quite reach its potential.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby FixBeatGames » 29 Dec 2012, 15:10

can i make a prediction too?

if the next ps/xbox releases when this article predicts, they'll both sell low and the whole games industry will collapse like it did last time there were too many consoles to choose from.

i predict it will be at least 2014 when microsoft/sony announce the next gen consoles.

i reckon sony might even try and make an add-on for ps3 instead, would make so much more sense to do a sega mega-cd type thing, only this one adding a new cpu and lots of ram. a ps3 with a new cpu and say 8gb ram, would absolutely kick ass. i would MUCH rather spend £200 on a box that plugs into the ps3 to improve it, rather than £500 on a whole new console.
FixBeatGames 41

Re: Exposed: PlayStation in 2013

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 29 Dec 2012, 15:19

I think the Playstation has now outsold the 360 with a year head start so not sure if your comment on their progress is quite accurate.

The Vita does need to pick up as it is a great piece of kit and it would be a shame to lose support before it has come into it's own.

I have gone off my 360 now as I felt Halo 4 was the last let down in a line of let downs. The PS3 has the best 1st party titles of any platform and that trend will continue into next year and beyond with Microsoft not really supporting a lot of new IPs at the mo.

Mainly a PC gamer now as can't wait another year for next gen and have been playing next next gen for over a year now.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby keegan934 » 29 Dec 2012, 16:04

FixBeatGames wrote:can i make a prediction too?

if the next ps/xbox releases when this article predicts, they'll both sell low and the whole games industry will collapse like it did last time there were too many consoles to choose from.

i predict it will be at least 2014 when microsoft/sony announce the next gen consoles.

i reckon sony might even try and make an add-on for ps3 instead, would make so much more sense to do a sega mega-cd type thing, only this one adding a new cpu and lots of ram. a ps3 with a new cpu and say 8gb ram, would absolutely kick ass. i would MUCH rather spend £200 on a box that plugs into the ps3 to improve it, rather than £500 on a whole new console.

Remember that the Wii U has now launched, it may not be taken as a next gen console, but Nintendo sales are always high. Neither Microsoft nor Sony can't let Nintendo sell to much Wii U's because people will start liking the console and preffer it over the other ones
keegan934 1
New user

Postby toaplan » 29 Dec 2012, 17:09

There hasn't been a Mega-CD / 32X type "power" add-on for ages... they all failed. The Kinect is the only relatively successful hardware add-on ever, and even that could be classified as a new controller rather than an add-on boosting the technical capability of the base unit. The PS3 would need an upgrade in every department (CPU, GPU, Ram, HDD, BD...),
so a new console is needed.

If the PS360 keep going alongside the newcomers, they may do so in a "limited" role as budget-price media boxes that still occasionally see new game releases, mostly in downloadable form. Then there would be 3 main consoles and 2 older budget consoles still on the shelves. I think thanks to their network and media playing/streaming capabilities, the PS360 have an equal or even better chance at keeping going like the PS2 did after the launch of the next generation.

5 consoles sounds a lot and it would be preferable for the number to be smaller. It's still nothing like the early '90s though, when you had the SNES, Mega Drive, PC Engine, Jaguar, 3DO, CDi, Neo Geo, Amiga CD32 and the older generation of NES and Master System still on the market, plus various handhelds, hardware add-ons and the gaming-focused 16-bit computers.
Some of the weaker consoles made an exit, but overall the market was doing well and expanding. Hopefully next-gen consoles will again be able to expand the market. The PS360 and Wii combined sales set a new industry record, so topping that won't be easy, but fingers crossed :)
toaplan 74

Postby flyfletch » 29 Dec 2012, 17:32

Never ever going to happen, ever! I think the industry as a whole learned from the mistakes of Sega. They wont want to follow them in the same direction.

Add to that the fact that no add on could improve the PS3 to point it needs improving too. More ram, MUCH faster BD drive, Better GPU & CPU, the list goes on. So i will say it again, never going to happen.
flyfletch 71

Postby dwhlufc » 29 Dec 2012, 17:39

I hope they both do show their cards early next year. I've just started saving for my next system, so hopefully we'll hear more about them Q1 2013.

I personally think they have to launch next year. People may not be interested in Wii U at the moment but next year it'll have a huge catalogue of games and definitely be cheaper. Sony/MS can't afford to give them more than twelve months headstart.
dwhlufc 76

Postby StonecoldMC » 29 Dec 2012, 18:10

Alan Wake on a Next Gen machine?

Oh. My. Lordy!

Stick in Crackdown 3, PGR and something non Kinect from Rare and im there on day 1!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Robcarroll93 » 29 Dec 2012, 18:29

Wii U last gen? It's next gen, that isn't a matter of opinion, that's a fact. If you're a games journalist don't make such ignorant statements.
Robcarroll93 10

Postby SuperJumpPunch » 29 Dec 2012, 18:30

Starhawk, The Last of Us, inFamous 2, Gran Turismo 5 and Ni No Kuni show me that I really need to buy a PS3 next year. There are too many games that I've missed out on, so I need to get one. All the more reason for me to regret buying an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3 in 2007.

If the PS4 can offer the same quality of games that the past 3 consoles have, then I'll buy it immediately. With the Wii U and the PS4, I should be able to buy all of the games I'll be interested in for the next generation. Plus, it would be nice to have the PS2, PS3 and PS4 on one side of my TV stand, and the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U on the other. :D
SuperJumpPunch 4
New user

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 29 Dec 2012, 18:34

Robcarroll93 wrote:Wii U last gen? It's next gen, that isn't a matter of opinion, that's a fact. If you're a games journalist don't make such ignorant statements.

Based on time alone its 'next gen'. Based on hardware, its a current gen device, no question. It will look hugely out of date when the next playstation and xbox are released.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby stealth » 29 Dec 2012, 20:51

"or will they play it safe and stick to Japan where their only threat is the last-gen Wii U? "

because they are the sony team does it give them license to troll?
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 29 Dec 2012, 20:53

DAEDALUS79 wrote:
Robcarroll93 wrote:Wii U last gen? It's next gen, that isn't a matter of opinion, that's a fact. If you're a games journalist don't make such ignorant statements.

Based on time alone its 'next gen'. Based on hardware, its a current gen device, no question. It will look hugely out of date when the next playstation and xbox are released.

based on hardware its next gen. No this gen system can do real 1080 and 60fps like wii u can at launch

not that specs matter in anything regarding this industry sales, games or otherwise.
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 29 Dec 2012, 20:56

"They better had, because any delay will see current-generation games become last generation games."

omg, these "writers" actually think thats a bad thing
stealth 47

Postby goggy » 29 Dec 2012, 21:53

DAEDALUS79 wrote:

Definitely next gen.

I think you will be hugely disappointed when the next xbox/PS are released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Next