to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Steam Winter Sale: Half of Dishonored

Your comments on our articles.

All of today's daily deals

Dishonored - which we called 'one of the greatest games of the generation' - is currently half-price on Steam.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Steam Winter Sale: Half of Dishonored

Postby ted1138 » 21 Dec 2012, 23:16

What about the other half? :|
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Re: Steam Winter Sale: Half of Dishonored

Postby HelloLadies » 22 Dec 2012, 07:58

highlanderjim wrote:do not get all the hype about this game. Its rubbish. nothing new, nothing done particularily well, you cant even hide behind walls. Why all the love? is it because its very easy? or am I missing something? Theres not a good story, the npc acting is quite ropey at times, the ai is nothing new. Deus Ex 1 did stealth better than this.

Wtf?

Thats good enough for me.
HelloLadies 50

Postby kirankara » 22 Dec 2012, 10:27

Thoroughly enjoyed dishonoured myself, and don't understand the whinging.if.you didn't enjoy it, you're entitled to an opinion of course, but always find when people look back at old games, there usually doing so with heavily rose tinted glasses.
The game wasn't perfect, and certain aspects annoyed me, but still thought was amazing. Comparing it to twenty year old game is non-sensical IMO. There's games that I thought were amazing just few years Bach, but now ether just don't hold up due to way games have evolved, and our expectations from them.have changed

In sharp contrast to negativity here's an article from eurogamer saying Why it's one of their games of the year.slightly gushy at times, but captured my feelings on game quite well. Not perfect, but buckets of charm to it. Never have I consistently felt need to redo parts of game to try do it better and without killing enemies
kirankara 57

Postby flyfletch » 22 Dec 2012, 11:24

HelloLadies wrote:
highlanderjim wrote:do not get all the hype about this game. Its rubbish. nothing new, nothing done particularily well, you cant even hide behind walls. Why all the love? is it because its very easy? or am I missing something? Theres not a good story, the npc acting is quite ropey at times, the ai is nothing new. Deus Ex 1 did stealth better than this.

Wtf?

Thats good enough for me.

Dont let that put you off mate, its a fantastic game, and this is one of the first people i have heard say otherwise, i suppose there will always be one. The fact remains that the VAST majority of reviews have loved this game, and thats clearly not for no reason.

I have cleared it 3 times now just to find out other ways to clear it, its rare for a game to make me want to do that.
Save CVG!
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby toaplan » 22 Dec 2012, 20:52

For me the setting of Dishonored is a bit off-putting. Just based on the couple of video reviews that I've watched, Dunwall unfortunately doesn't appear to be a place that I'd particularly want to visit and explore, despite the care and work that has gone into creating it. A rat / plague-infested gloomy old industrial city controlled by some generic oppressing government sounds like among the least exciting settings of recent times.

I'd rather time travel to AC3's setting of the American Revolution, visit Sleeping Dogs's Hong Kong, spend some time with Vaas on Far Cry 3's tropical island, continue to explore Skyrim's beautiful lands, maybe go back to Arkham City once more... or my current favourite, the magnificent and thrilling snowy mountain ranges of SSX.

Bioshock's Rapture was also a quite a miserable place, but the philosophical underpinnings of the game helped make it more interesting (the city being an underwater one was a plus as well :mrgreen: ).

But I may give Dishonored a try next year, when it's more than half off, and see if I can get into it, despite my reservations.
toaplan 73

Postby divinebeetle » 24 Dec 2012, 20:40

Got Dishonored but haven't played it yet, heard nothing but good things about it though.

Biggest criticism I've heard are people moaning about graphics?
divinebeetle 37