to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: E3, Vita and the Best and Worst Gaming Moments of 2

Your comments on our articles.

Hello. I'm Michael Gapper. I've lived here at Future Publishing for almost six years now, mostly on Xbox World and PSM3. I'll be contributing a weekly column about the best and worst of the gaming, here on CVG, starting in January. That's then, this is now - so I'm starting with a one-off special look at the best and worst games (and moments) of 2012.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby stueyjc » 21 Dec 2012, 12:31

Bravo Sir, bravo
stueyjc 21

Postby Solm » 21 Dec 2012, 12:57

Game over what's with all the doom and gloom. VITA is great and it's not going anywhere, not if I can help it. Loving my VITA play it more than my 3DS. It's the same with the Wii U all those doom and gloom merchants out their go back to your hole in the ground were you came from and let us gamers enjoy our new consoles.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 52

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby socheeky » 21 Dec 2012, 12:59

Worst - gamers continuing to buy sequels/prequels that aren't markedly different from the previous instalment, condemning us to yet more originality bypasses in the schedules of November 2013/2014/2015...

Best - the continued quality and quantity of content on xbox live, with literally - sorry cliche alert - something for everyone. Fez was easily my favourite download of the year for originality, immersive puzzles and that superb soundtrack.

Worst - almost any comment by US gamers on any gaming website. I'm not saying all Americans are stupid, but, let's face it, they put month before day when writing dates and mispronounce almost every herb :roll:

Best - Almost every moment I've spent on Rook Island in Far Cry 3. I am rarely a 100% completionist, but I feel compelled to search and destroy like never before.

Worst - The disappearance of verbose, lovingly produced game manuals, replaced by game controls & a link to a website and PDF for more information. Not the same at all.

Best - The incredible gaming value of Witcher 2's two 2nd acts. I don't care if it was actually coded years ago PC playing commenters, I played it and loved it this year on my 360.
socheeky 38

Re: Opinion: E3, Vita and the Best and Worst Gaming Moments

Postby Stryker89 » 21 Dec 2012, 13:36

I love how you've already done a 180 with AC3. Not that I'm complaining of course, your opinion is now in line with mine.
Stryker89 57

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby michaelgapper » 21 Dec 2012, 13:52

Stryker89 wrote:I love how you've already done a 180 with AC3. Not that I'm complaining of course, your opinion is now in line with mine.

I think CVG found a lot to like about Assassin's Creed 3 but I missed that memo.
michaelgapper 5
New user

Postby RandyTandy » 21 Dec 2012, 13:54

I can already tell from this, Gapper's gonna' be a great asset to CVG.
RandyTandy 59

PSN ID: RandyTandy
Steam: RandyTandy

Postby TheLastDodo » 21 Dec 2012, 14:54

Games aren't getting any cheaper to make and big blockbuster games are about to become what blockbuster movies have been since Jaws. You'll get five or six blockbusters every year from those privileged developers able to sell single-player action adventures - the Ubisofts, the Irrationals, the Naughty Dogs - and the rest of the release schedule will be filled by indies and smaller studios producing smaller games. And if you think about it for a while, that doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

You've summed up 2012 for me there Michael and it's why I think it's been a great year for gaming (content wise, obviously it's been crap for sales & devs getting laid offs).

We had AAA blockbuster's like Halo, Max Payne, Borderlands, Mass Effect, CoD, FIFA, Far Cry but they were fewer and far between, meanwhile we got a few cool new IP's like Lollipop Chainsaw, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur inbetween those AAA releases, not to mention the return of XCOM which going on what I've read online has gone down very well.

For me, PSN/XBLA has shined brighter than ever this year, there have been so many quality games released on PSN/XBLA in 2012 it's hard to know where to begin. Journey, Walking Dead, Unfinished Swan, Fez, Minecraft, Tokyo Jungle, Quantic Conundrum, Mark of the Ninja, Trials Evolution, Papo & Yo, Closure, Motorstorm RC, Dust: An Elysian Tail.

That's off top of my head, I'm sure there's more, as far as I'm concerned some of those PSN/XBLA games have crapped all over their AAA counterparts and they've done it for a quarter of the price of their AAA counterparts.

I hope the same happens next year.

And to top it off, iOS solidified itself as a legitimate gaming platform in my eyes with more worthwhile experiences than the 3DS delivered in 2012, the main highlight been Super Hexagon, an eye melting, migraine enduring hypnotic puzzler, a bastard spawn of Trials and Dark Souls with the "one more go" feel of the former and the uber punishing challenge of the latter.

I know some people will disagree and point out the negatives, of which there are many to be fair, but I think this is the golden age of gaming, it's certainly my own personal golden age of gaming if it's no-one elses.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby budge » 21 Dec 2012, 15:43

Good, humorous and slightly worrying read.

The last few months I've often wondered if i'm becoming tired of gaming in my aging years but maybe it's not me after all.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby Noah » 21 Dec 2012, 15:56

Glad to see the old M-Gapp is straight back in the action. Best games journo out there.
ANYWAH Not enough good s**t is said about trials evolution. That game is insanely good.
Noah 1
New user

Postby illage2 » 21 Dec 2012, 16:02

Too obssesed with Murder? O_O ....... Gapper ..... please don't tell me your actually supporting the claims that games cause violence.

Best: Borderlands 2 with its early DLC releases.
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Jingee » 21 Dec 2012, 16:09

Best: Continued explosion in uptake, development and goodwill from the gaming public and industry towards PC gaming.

Worst: Those 10yo's who threaten to hack you on FIFA/CoD/Halo because you beat them.

Best: Wii U is brilliant fun with 4 people. NintendoLand is an irritatingly good party game.

Worst: Everything is on Kickstarter these days, which means the gold is hidden under a pile of sequels and Peter Molyneux.

Best: Indie devs, the people behind Humble, take a bow.
Jingee 48

Steam: -Jingee

Postby funkyjack » 21 Dec 2012, 16:17

Great read sir.

I'm a big stealth fan, but haven't yet tried Mark of the Ninja...now I know what to get with my refund for War Z! Thanks.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby The Sandbag » 21 Dec 2012, 17:20

Best - a developer ACTUALLY GETTING a licensed property. TellTale Games understood that The Walking Dead wasn't all about the killing of zombies but about the characters, and they produced my personal Game of the Year. The story of Lee Everett and Clementine was fun when it needed to be, and as depressing as smashing a brick against a kitten's head when it wanted to be. Screw Mass Effect 3 (which was great but not Mass Effect 2), this game made me care more for characters over 10 hours that other series (Mass Effect) lasting 100. Kudos, TellTale.

Worst - a developer NOT getting a licensed property. Activision and it's Walking Dead: Survival Instincts game. I love the show, and Daryl Dixon is a badass, but I tread carefully around this game as it's first person, published by ACTIVISION. The first screenshots don't fill me with much hope, even if they're only showing the environments, but I may be sceptical for no reason. It could end up being great, but I believe it's probably gonna end up being everything the TellTale game isn't...and not in a good way.
The Sandbag 48

Xbox Live: V TheSystem V

Postby toaplan » 21 Dec 2012, 19:18

Agree with Vaas / LastDodo.

The current three-tier industry structure of big-budget AAA retail games, mid-sized PSN/XBL/Steam indie, and mobile games that have brought back even the 1-man "bedroom coder" devs is arguably more diverse than ever.

The current trend of prices of some quality games dropping rather soon is perhaps slightly worrying for publishers, devs and of course retailers, although from a consumer's perspective it's hard to complain. Some of my best purchases this year included NFS the Run and Skyrim for 9,99€ and Spec Ops the Line for 4,99€ (all on PC), and of course the PS+ membership, which has been ridiculously good value for money.
toaplan 72

Postby IplayVideogames » 21 Dec 2012, 19:46

Didn't enjoy the article. AC3 and Hitman Absolution were fantastic games that you claim to be disasters. Also ranting about violence in games is pathetic, they're adult for a reason.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Next