to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Molyneux's Godus Kickstarter reaches funding goal

Your comments on our articles.

With just two days to spare, stretch goals detailed

Peter Molyneux and 22Cans' Kicksterter fund for Godus has reached its £450,000 goal with two days to spare.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Molyneux's Godus Kickstarter reaches funding goal

Postby Stryker89 » 20 Dec 2012, 00:09

Wow, I must say I'm quite surprised, I didn't think they'd manage it in the time they had left. Well done though, it looks like it could be fun.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Re: Molyneux's Godus Kickstarter reaches funding goal

Postby KMakawa » 20 Dec 2012, 03:28

I was actually getting a bit upset that it may not be 100% funded, this is by far the most touch and go pledge i've ever placed with Kickstarter.
3 Days left and it sped up thankfully, now hopefully aquire a few stretch goals and then HOPEFULLY the shiney arrives next year.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
Battle.net: PMforit@
xFire: iArctic

Postby Cogglesz » 20 Dec 2012, 04:07

Good stuff, I'm most confident that the finished product wont be nearly as basic as the video shown earlier and will probably be a hit, i'm really surprised with this myself.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby richomack360 » 20 Dec 2012, 09:42

Right, I am getting real dubious of this Kickstarter thing.

i am sure, 100%, that Molyneux can afford to fund this game himself or find backing from a financial source to ensure targets are met.

This Godus boils down to Molyneux putting the risk of failure into the hands of the people that donated, if it goes tits up then the pledgers will lose out and Molyneux will walk away from yet another duff game.

Then for him to say there are more milestones to achieve, such as hiring a writer who has worked with Molyneux a fair few times before is just laughable. Why would this writer, who clearly knows Molyneux, not work for a favour on this - considering the "story" is not exactly going to be groundbreaking. That's at nearly £500K ! If yhe does not reach these goals then you get no additional modes and a story written by someone else, presumably of a poorer standard, otherwise he would not need a "BAFTA" winner to do it.

I think this Molyneux character is sleazy and is using kickstarter to minimise risk to his company, rather than what kickstarter actually stands for.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby brookie_2001 » 20 Dec 2012, 10:46

We should make a bullet list of all the features that he has said Godus will have.
Then we remove the features he drops during development.

It will be like a really crappy advent calender.
brookie_2001 62

Postby starvinbull » 20 Dec 2012, 10:48

richomack360 wrote:Right, I am getting real dubious of this Kickstarter thing.

i am sure, 100%, that Molyneux can afford to fund this game himself or find backing from a financial source to ensure targets are met.

This Godus boils down to Molyneux putting the risk of failure into the hands of the people that donated, if it goes tits up then the pledgers will lose out and Molyneux will walk away from yet another duff game.

Then for him to say there are more milestones to achieve, such as hiring a writer who has worked with Molyneux a fair few times before is just laughable. Why would this writer, who clearly knows Molyneux, not work for a favour on this - considering the "story" is not exactly going to be groundbreaking. That's at nearly £500K ! If yhe does not reach these goals then you get no additional modes and a story written by someone else, presumably of a poorer standard, otherwise he would not need a "BAFTA" winner to do it.

I think this Molyneux character is sleazy and is using kickstarter to minimise risk to his company, rather than what kickstarter actually stands for.

More likely he wants to drum up interest and connect with his supporters/fans from 15 years ago when he made great games.
starvinbull 59

Postby richomack360 » 20 Dec 2012, 12:21

Maybe, but my biggest gripe is that he said originally that “X” amount of cash will secure Godus as a game. Now people will have to donate more and more to get other game modes and a decent story.

If the “stretch” targets are not made then you will not get a game written by some chap who wrote the amazing script to Theme Hospital, nor will you get the modes that actually generate any interest

Just seems a big con – also, when you go to the Kickstarter page a large donation will get you various gifts such as flights and accommodation to go to E3 – flights and a hotel isn’t that cheap, so who is paying for ? 22cans ? If they are, one would assume they have money to burn anyway – or is the donation you are pledging actually partly going towards paying for your own flights etc ?

Just doesn’t make sense. Reeks of sleaze.

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby Sangor » 20 Dec 2012, 13:00

richomack360 wrote:Right, I am getting real dubious of this Kickstarter thing.

I always imagined Kickstarter was the thing for the indie guys, the type of people who have very few contacts in the industry and even less cash. If industry veterans like Molyneux and Braben keep stinking up the place the small devs are going to have even less ways to get funding.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 50

Postby woodins » 20 Dec 2012, 14:02

richomack360 wrote:Maybe, but my biggest gripe is that he said originally that “X” amount of cash will secure Godus as a game. Now people will have to donate more and more to get other game modes and a decent story.

If the “stretch” targets are not made then you will not get a game written by some chap who wrote the amazing script to Theme Hospital, nor will you get the modes that actually generate any interest

Just seems a big con – also, when you go to the Kickstarter page a large donation will get you various gifts such as flights and accommodation to go to E3 – flights and a hotel isn’t that cheap, so who is paying for ? 22cans ? If they are, one would assume they have money to burn anyway – or is the donation you are pledging actually partly going towards paying for your own flights etc ?

Just doesn’t make sense. Reeks of sleaze.

With you on this one. Said it before, but my first thought when he started this kickstarter crap is "Whats the problem? Did he only get paid minimum wage when he sold his soul to M$?" With regards to the marketing angle, he's Pete Molyneux, the master of hyperbole. The industry will listen to him and give him column space, regardless of whatever 5hit he decides to peddle. Good luck to him.
Paracetamol will not bring back a dead hooker. Trust me.
woodins 36

Postby richomack360 » 20 Dec 2012, 14:53

woodins wrote:With you on this one. Said it before, but my first thought when he started this kickstarter crap is "Whats the problem? Did he only get paid minimum wage when he sold his soul to M$?" With regards to the marketing angle, he's Pete Molyneux, the master of hyperbole. The industry will listen to him and give him column space, regardless of whatever 5hit he decides to peddle. Good luck to him.

Spot on. I want to know if he applied for credit with a finanical instituion etc before turning to Kickstarter ? Let's be honest his pedigree isn't that good. His latest game, the cube tapping one, was beset with problems and still has them.

Still unsure how someone won a BAFTA for writing scripts for Theme Hospital etc al....very odd !

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby KMakawa » 20 Dec 2012, 17:27

Kickstarter isnt just about funding chaps, its actually a very intricate marketing tool aswell. Sure he could of funded it himself nod oubt, and possibly if this Kickstarter hadnt of been successful he would of most likely funded it (and Notch [Minecraft]) Probably investing in it too.
However its not just about the money, at best its about chiming in with those fans that you once captured the imaginations of.

I wouldn't of actually give a crap about GODUS if it was all of a sudden "PM Unveils new game, Godus.. Releasing next year!", instead it was very public and up for funding too..

Its very hard to explain, but if your a longterm kickstarter backer you'd probably know what im on about xD
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
Battle.net: PMforit@
xFire: iArctic

Postby alan666 » 20 Dec 2012, 21:36

:lol: the fools !

each & everyone will be disappointed when the game has none of the features Peter has mentioned & the game is unplayable due to the many bugs & errors.

you have nobody to blame but yourselves.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby richomack360 » 21 Dec 2012, 10:29

KMakawa wrote:chaps

+1 for using this word

KMakawa wrote: but if your a longterm kickstarter backer you'd probably know what im on about xD

I know what you are on about - but when he set the original goal you would imagine you are getting the full scope of ideas that he was going to put into the game ? Nope, he wants more money to add features, which should of been as standard, into the game - in essence a new form of DLC, of which I am going to be the first to coin the phrase "Donation Locked Content"

The guy is a shyster.

richomack360 60
Global Moderator