to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U firmware update in December will address sluggish load

Your comments on our articles.

Updated: Update in question is actually for Dragon Quest X, not the Wii U system

Update: Nintendo's PR people have contacted Engadget since the original report was posted to say the update in question is for Dragon Quest X, not the Wii U system.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Pika2346 » 19 Dec 2012, 22:24

Bonus :D
Pika2346 37

Postby richomack360 » 19 Dec 2012, 22:26

Wowser.

I feel sorry for the kids who get the WiiU out of the box on Xmas day and forced to sit there whilst all the downloads are completed :(
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Wii U firmware update in December will address sluggish

Postby l1nc » 19 Dec 2012, 23:18

I set up my son's wiiu and did the update I have 50meg broadband and it still took an hour and a half. I then packed it away and wrapped it ready for next Tuesday
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 41

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby flyfletch » 19 Dec 2012, 23:26

richomack360 wrote:Wowser.

I feel sorry for the kids who get the WiiU out of the box on Xmas day and forced to sit there whilst all the downloads are completed :(

Well it could be worse, they could open it on xmas day and take from then to boxing day to move from the app screen to getting Netflix opened, downloading the updates will be quicker lol ;)
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby flyfletch » 19 Dec 2012, 23:26

l1nc wrote:I set up my son's wiiu and did the update I have 50meg broadband and it still took an hour and a half. I then packed it away and wrapped it ready for next Tuesday

Smart move! :)
flyfletch 70

Postby goggy » 19 Dec 2012, 23:33

flyfletch wrote:

Well it could be worse, they could open it on xmas day and take from then to boxing day to move from the app screen to getting Netflix opened, downloading the updates will be quicker lol ;)

The ps3 has prepared us well for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby El Mag » 19 Dec 2012, 23:36

If the little swines had the cheek to moan on Christmas day after an hours Wii U update I'd politely remind them that at their age all I got was a Game Gear with James Pond 2.

And f**k all spare batteries for it.

And an awkward 'hug' from my mums drunk mate that always insisted I call her Aunt Joan!
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby alan666 » 19 Dec 2012, 23:46

Why the hell are us in the west not getting this at the same time :x
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby kimoak » 20 Dec 2012, 00:38

El Mag wrote:If the little swines had the cheek to moan on Christmas day after an hours Wii U update I'd politely remind them that at their age all I got was a Game Gear with James Pond 2.

And f**k all spare batteries for it.

And an awkward 'hug' from my mums drunk mate that always insisted I call her Aunt Joan!

I'd be happy with a copy of Robocod for the Amiga for crimbo. Awesome memories there. :)
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby Windowlicker79 » 20 Dec 2012, 00:40

I was wondering when they were going to address this. I watched the Ashens review of the console and one of the things he pointed out was the fact it took 30 seconds to load the dashboard menu when exiting a game. There were similar delays when switching between menu screens.
He also pointed out the fact that many 3rd party games looked noticeably poorer on the Wii U than on Xbox 360 or PS3, such as low framerate on Arkham City and regular freezing/graphical glitches on AC3.
Its a bit worrying that a console thats less than a month old is being outperformed by 7 year old hardware.
http://youtu.be/BH9QPZA8sK8
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby sbisset » 20 Dec 2012, 01:22

Windowlicker79 wrote:I was wondering when they were going to address this. I watched the Ashens review of the console and one of the things he pointed out was the fact it took 30 seconds to load the dashboard menu when exiting a game. There were similar delays when switching between menu screens.

30 seconds is a stretch. Its never taken more than 15 seconds for me to navigate between any menus or exiting back to the dashboard. I know it can feel a long time when you're waiting to do something but its not a deal breaker. It does definitely need addressing though so kudos to Nintendo on actually listening to the community.

Windowlicker79 wrote: He also pointed out the fact that many 3rd party games looked noticeably poorer on the Wii U than on Xbox 360 or PS3, such as low framerate on Arkham City and regular freezing/graphical glitches on AC3.
Its a bit worrying that a console thats less than a month old is being outperformed by 7 year old hardware.

This keeps getting thrown around as though it actually means something. Those games were never designed to run on the Wii U in the first place so its not surprising they dont run 100% or look visually better than the originals. Hell, look at Skyrim! The PS3 port was mostly unplayable for weeks because it was designed for pc/360. Equally, my Pc can emulate ps1/dreamcast games which are over 10-15 years old, but i dont expect the games at full frames/fully textured, its simple logic that you make sacrifices to port games.

The fact is a lot of people are looking for any reason not to buy the console so they can say "Look i was right" if it isnt commercially successful. Saying "I'll wait 6 months to see what comes out/how it performs" is equally stupid because by then you'll have been brainwashed by the ps4/720 tech demos with intricately polished pre-rendered graphics and will decide to wait another 6 months for them.
If you want a console to actually enjoy playing games on then get a Wii U. Otherwise wait another year for the PS4 so you can say "Well it looks good but ill wait 8 months for the price to drop". By then i'll have had my Wii U nearly 2 years and will be laughing at you all from behind my massive fort of games ill already own and have spent time enjoying. Instead of sitting there convincing myself i'm better off with nothing, playing call of battlefield again.
sbisset 21

Postby flyfletch » 20 Dec 2012, 01:37

sbisset wrote:
Windowlicker79 wrote:I was wondering when they were going to address this. I watched the Ashens review of the console and one of the things he pointed out was the fact it took 30 seconds to load the dashboard menu when exiting a game. There were similar delays when switching between menu screens.

30 seconds is a stretch. Its never taken more than 15 seconds for me to navigate between any menus or exiting back to the dashboard. I know it can feel a long time when you're waiting to do something but its not a deal breaker. It does definitely need addressing though so kudos to Nintendo on actually listening to the community.

Windowlicker79 wrote: He also pointed out the fact that many 3rd party games looked noticeably poorer on the Wii U than on Xbox 360 or PS3, such as low framerate on Arkham City and regular freezing/graphical glitches on AC3.

This keeps getting thrown around as though it actually means something. Those games were never designed to run on the Wii U in the first place so its not surprising they dont run 100% or look visually better than the originals. Hell, look at Skyrim! The PS3 port was mostly unplayable for weeks because it was designed for pc/360. Equally, my Pc can emulate ps1/dreamcast games which are over 10-15 years old, but i dont expect the games at full frames/fully textured, its simple logic that you make sacrifices to port games.

The fact is a lot of people are looking for any reason not to buy the console so they can say "Look i was right" if it isnt commercially successful. Saying "I'll wait 6 months to see what comes out/how it performs" is equally stupid because by then you'll have been brainwashed by the ps4/720 tech demos with intricately polished pre-rendered graphics and will decide to wait another 6 months for them.
If you want a console to actually enjoy playing games on then get a Wii U. Otherwise wait another y
ear for the PS4 so you can say "Well it looks good but ill wait 8 months for the price to drop". By then i'll have had my Wii U nearly 2 years and will be laughing at you all from behind my massive fort of games ill already own and have spent time enjoying. Instead of sitting there convincing myself i'm better off with nothing, playing call of battlefield again.

I think your missing the point a little, i have a Wii U and i tend to agree to a certain extent, it categorically should not have an issue running games from a 7yr old system.

Can you even imagine the 720 or PS4 doing a crap conversion of a PS3 or 360 game? Not very likely, if anything it would improve on the original, with better frame rates and higher resolution textures things like that. Which is what the Wii U should have been doing without breaking a sweat.
flyfletch 70

Postby sbisset » 20 Dec 2012, 02:00

I think your missing the point a little, i have a Wii U and i tend to agree to a certain extent, it categorically should not have an issue running games from a 7yr old system.
Can you even imagine the 720 or PS4 doing a crap conversion of a PS3 or 360 game? Not very likely, if anything it would improve on the original, with better frame rates and higher resolution textures things like that. Which is what the Wii U should have been doing without breaking a sweat.

While I agree you'd hope the console would upscale games, running them faster, smoother with more features it just wont happen. What dev team is going to sit there painstakingly recreating and optimising a game thats either been available for 18 months or will be bought on consoles people already own the prequels on (AC3). Yes, i agree its slightly disappointing. I also agree the Wii U will not be the go-to console for ANY PS4/720 releases as it unequivocally will not be powerful enough. But from the back catalogue of PS3/360 games I have, I cant really remember actually properly enjoying any of them. Yeah they keep you busy and you might like the story/content/graphics but gameplay-wise, theres just no enjoyment or fun. If its not cover based shooters, its another sports sequel or an almost on-the-rails rpg. I know the Wii U doesnt exactly bolster a huge array of games yet, but what there is already (and hopefully with more Indie games) it'll continue to impress and actually entertain.
Also congrats on buying one, your arguments are instantly validated. As opposed to all the trolls/people who've never even seen the console IRL deciding they know enough to spout their opinion (read from some website) as if it is gospel :roll:
sbisset 21

Postby HelloLadies » 20 Dec 2012, 02:44

That's if they have internet. :(
HelloLadies 50

Postby billysastard » 20 Dec 2012, 07:30

i don't see the problem with having to wait an hour whilst the update download, after all they will need to charge the gamepad anyway since its "always on" listening for a command from the wii u to start up.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Next