to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

War Z dev accused of false advertising on Steam

Your comments on our articles.

Developer claims buyers "misread" product description

Hammerpoint Interactive has refused to acknowledge allegations that it falsely advertised the product features of new survival horror MMO The War Z.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

War Z dev accused of false advertising on Steam

Postby superfruit » 19 Dec 2012, 15:10

This is a clusterfuck of a game launch given the comments on the Steam forum. There's a 45 minute play through of it on youtube and it looks terrible. I guess you just add zombies for instant cash these days. Just look on the apple store for example.

Also seems like the developers are happy with forum ban hammers for those that are speaking up about the game.
superfruit 48

Re: War Z dev accused of false advertising on Steam

Postby gunfighterii » 19 Dec 2012, 16:04

Also seems like the developers are happy with forum ban hammers for those that are speaking up about the game

You clearly have no clue and talking complete s**t, if anything War Z has the best active banning system for hackers ive seen in a very long time, and when they ban innocent players in rare mishaps they acknowledge it and reward those with GC (in game currency) and state it on the forums etc.

What people dont get is this ISNT the finished product they are adding the games final features and tweaking on a 'fortnightly' basis for what it is, its an extremely well thought out game. Yes it has slight resemblance to DayZ and the DayZ fan boys and the media are against it for no apparent reason apart from the fact DayZ was released months prior to it when it was in development for a lot longer >_>

i cant wait for rented servers clan & normal to come out and new character clothing and models to appear along with the 'talent trees', it has a bright future ahead where as the ARMA 2 addon isn't going anywhere feature wise :/
gunfighterii 24

Postby Uzi77 » 19 Dec 2012, 16:20

gunfighterii wrote:What people dont get is this ISNT the finished product
Yes, you are right, but they sold it as finished, not an Alpha or Beta build.

Gotta give it to them though, as the top seller on Steam with a F2P model, but charging for the purchase as well, they must have made a s**t load off it. It's a damn good scam and people still buy into it being an original and quality game. I suppose its a testament to the success of DayZ. You call the DayZ guys fanboys, but who really are the fanboys? Its the guys who speak positively of a game, not the haters. You didn't have to play DayZ to see this is a terrible and unfinished game.
Uzi77 54

Postby xxstalker24xx » 19 Dec 2012, 16:22

gunfighterii wrote:
Also seems like the developers are happy with forum ban hammers for those that are speaking up about the game

You clearly have no clue and talking complete s**t, if anything War Z has the best active banning system for hackers ive seen in a very long time, and when they ban innocent players in rare mishaps they acknowledge it and reward those with GC (in game currency) and state it on the forums etc.

What people dont get is this ISNT the finished product they are adding the games final features and tweaking on a 'fortnightly' basis for what it is, its an extremely well thought out game. Yes it has slight resemblance to DayZ and the DayZ fan boys and the media are against it for no apparent reason apart from the fact DayZ was released months prior to it when it was in development for a lot longer >_>

i cant wait for rented servers clan & normal to come out and new character clothing and models to appear along with the 'talent trees', it has a bright future ahead where as the ARMA 2 addon isn't going anywhere feature wise :/

But they ARE selling it as a finished product on steam, maybe not their site but on steam its being sold as a complete build. The 'adding features' is stupid when you payed for it, that's okay with F2P but when you pay for a finished product, its bad. You wouldn't sell a car and then when the customer receives the delivery of the car, tell the customer that they will get wheels, windscreen and seats at a later date. You wouldn't be sure that they would full fill their promises, just like these developers.
Last edited by xxstalker24xx on 19 Dec 2012, 16:32, edited 3 times in total.
xxstalker24xx 13

Postby Sangor » 19 Dec 2012, 16:24

gunfighterii wrote:You clearly have no clue and talking complete s**t, if anything War Z has the best active banning system for hackers ive seen in a very long time, and when they ban innocent players in rare mishaps they acknowledge it and reward those with GC (in game currency) and state it on the forums etc.

Learn to read, superfruit said forum bans not in-game bans. And if the game is not finished it should have never been put on Steam in the first place. It deserves to fail for going the release it now finish it later route.
Last edited by Sangor on 19 Dec 2012, 16:30, edited 3 times in total.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 50

Postby gmcb007 » 19 Dec 2012, 16:25

Christ even the name is copying DayZ.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby mojothejester » 19 Dec 2012, 16:43

I bought it from the war z website, last time I opened the game it said it was an alpha. Anyone who does any research will easily understand they're going to keep adding features for free for people who buy it. Considering it's under £10, I don't see why everyone complains about the fact they'll keep adding stuff to the game
mojothejester 27

Postby gunfighterii » 19 Dec 2012, 16:48

Its the same with forums they dont mindlessly ban random people on forums...im an active member on the froums since announcement and i never seen anything about random banning because people talk badly about it..i dont know how people come up with this stuff
gunfighterii 24

Postby illage2 » 19 Dec 2012, 16:55

Wait let me get this straight, we have to buy this game and then we have to spend REAL money on re spawning quicker? WTF is that s**t?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby illage2 » 19 Dec 2012, 17:04

Also why are people defending this scam?

The law clearly states that products are to be sold as advertised. They advertised Day Z as having 100 player servers, when the actual servers can only hold 50 players. They've breached UK law, and as such customers are legally entitled to a refund or another product of similar value.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Jraptor59 » 19 Dec 2012, 18:21

illage2 wrote:Also why are people defending this scam?

The law clearly states that products are to be sold as advertised. They advertised Day Z as having 100 player servers, when the actual servers can only hold 50 players. They've breached UK law, and as such customers are legally entitled to a refund or another product of similar value.

They are probably connected to the company. It is obvious what happened here, if you are following this genre. DayZ is close to launching its $15 stand alone. War Z intends to steal some of their success by offering this poor clone first. I have seen videos of War Z on YouTube (go check them out) where furniture is floating in mid air, zombies protruding through buildings, and there are only one or two models of the player/zombie. Steam really should remove this game and ban it, if they are going to be trusted (which I have, but reserve the right to stop if they promote crap like this when it is obviously a cash in/fraud).
Jraptor59 9
New user

Postby Uzi77 » 19 Dec 2012, 19:33

Is it just me, or have they actually taken away the ability to purchase it on Steam? Can someone else check this?
Uzi77 54

Postby JuDDa » 19 Dec 2012, 19:36

@Uzi77

Yes they have.
JuDDa 56

Xbox Live: Vanguard Kaiser
Steam: Lone.Gunman

Postby lonewolf2002 » 19 Dec 2012, 19:49

Its been pulled from Steam:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of The War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php
Again, we apologize any inconvenience.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/19/steam ... VK6Fao5.99
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby lonewolf2002 » 19 Dec 2012, 19:55

gunfighterii wrote:

But its not going to be an Arma 2 add-on for much longer is it, and how do you know what plans the dev has for DayZ? I can give you that answer you don't i.e. you are talking complete s**t. Not that I know what the dev has or has not got planned for DayZ but then I am not claiming anything about it apart from it's not going to be an add-on for much longer. :twisted:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Next