to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS3 sales hit 30 million in Europe and PAL territories

Your comments on our articles.

Sony 'really pleased to reach major milestone'

PlayStation 3 sales have hit 30 million units across Europe and the PAL territories, Sony has claimed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby CrispyLog » 19 Dec 2012, 13:26

So Europe has almost half the PS3s in the world, yet Europe is still getting shafted as always by price and delays. Have CS:GO and Retro City Rampage even turned up yet?
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 75

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby Gambini » 19 Dec 2012, 13:27

That's great, and there are some fantastic games to look forward to next year.... but...

I really want a PS4 now! :D
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby damon2509 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:29

Not to be a troll or take anything away from Sony as I have had a ps3 from launch even imported it from Japan then upgraded it to a slim I have enjoyed some of songs first party stuff but mine is just a glorified blu ray player and been the same since I had it hence the upgrade where as my 360 is my games machine of choice and is rarely out of use my friends are the same we don't even have our friends lists connected on it as there is no point, its very sad I loved my ps1 and 2 but with the problems the ps3 games done by third party's seem to have like sky rim for example I have a feeling the next gen will be very much in microsofts court if they add bluray support. I would have to give sonys next gen some serious thought after my vita has ended up being an expensive paper weight as well
damon2509 3
New user

Re: PS3 sales hit 30 million in Europe and PAL territories

Postby Barry316 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:30

CrispyLog wrote:So Europe has almost half the PS3s in the world, yet Europe is still getting shafted as always by price and delays. Have CS:GO and Retro City Rampage even turned up yet?

Have they balls.

The latest lines are Retro is coming soon and anybody mentioning CS is killed to silence them.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby damon2509 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:31

My point was how many are used as a blu ray player only as for a long time they were cheaper and more future proofed due to software updates it would be interesting to know
damon2509 3
New user

Postby Reegeee » 19 Dec 2012, 13:33

damon2509 wrote:My point was how many are used as a blu ray player only as for a long time they were cheaper and more future proofed due to software updates it would be interesting to know

Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby Barry316 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:35

That's gone up, it was twelveteen the last official count.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 19 Dec 2012, 13:42

Congrats to sony although how the european arm of the business sells anything is beyond me.

Considering how bad our ps plus selection is compared to america and considering the number of games that still have not come out on the network is astounding.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Gambini » 19 Dec 2012, 13:48

damon2509 wrote:Not to be a troll or take anything away from Sony as I have had a ps3 from launch even imported it from Japan then upgraded it to a slim I have enjoyed some of songs first party stuff but mine is just a glorified blu ray player and been the same since I had it hence the upgrade where as my 360 is my games machine of choice and is rarely out of use my friends are the same we don't even have our friends lists connected on it as there is no point, its very sad I loved my ps1 and 2 but with the problems the ps3 games done by third party's seem to have like sky rim for example I have a feeling the next gen will be very much in microsofts court if they add bluray support. I would have to give sonys next gen some serious thought after my vita has ended up being an expensive paper weight as well

Troll Check List...

1. Start by saying "I'm not a Troll..." - Check
2. Go on to justify how and why they are not a Troll - Check
3. Bash product using cliched Troll Statement from 5 years ago (eg. "Glorified Blu Ray Player") - Check
4. Praise competitive product for it's diversity and general greatness - Check
5. Point out specific examples of bad ports on "inferior" machine whilst completely ignoring faults on competing products - Check
6. Bash complimentary products (eg. Vita) - Check
7. Display a complete lack of grammar, punctuation and paragraphs and type entire rant as a single sentence - Check

Yeah... you're not a troll at all :roll:
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby El Mag » 19 Dec 2012, 13:57

I recently got my dad the limited edition white one.

Not because he's racist or anything, more so I didn't like the look of the new model and it's all they had left beside that. And because he's a terrible racist.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 19 Dec 2012, 14:00

the problems the ps3 games done by third party's seem to have like sky rim for example

I'm in the opposite situation, have both a 360 and a PS3 but rarely if ever play on the former except for Halo or Gears' SP. The Skyrim troubles you're referring to sure are crippling for those who own the game, but from what I read on the subject tech-wise - and Bethesda's history of buggy releases - it's as much the devs' fault as it is Sony's. Besides, the bulk of the high-profile third-party games that were sloppily ported on PS3 were diligently patched - Mirror's Edge or Bayonetta come to mind.

Sony has a lot to own up to, that's for sure. And I hope the PS4 won't repeat the same mistakes. But their newfound role of outsider, as well as the rise of seemingly reasonable people like Kaz Hirai and Shuhei Yoshida, seem to make them much less arrogant than in the PS2-early PS3 era. Hopefully an omen of good things to come.

As for the Vita being a paperweight, you're just being trollish. It's way too expensive for its own good, that's a fact. But it's an incredible piece of kit - I'd go as far as to say it's on the top 3 handelds ever along with the original Game Boy and the DS - with a lot more good-to-great games than people give it credit for.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby StonecoldMC » 19 Dec 2012, 14:03

Good numbers from Sony as we approach the end of this generations life cycle.

Would be interesting to know how the PS2 compares with the PS3 in certain territories, I would imagine Europe and PAL regions would be about the same, but it would be America where they have seen the highest fall in sales.

Once you break the 50 million barrier in units sold there's nothing to worry about anyway. The product is a success,
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby damon2509 » 19 Dec 2012, 14:09

Lol love troll bashers u make me laugh with a subject covered on many other forums so won't waste my time. Your right my grammar is terrible but that's down to years of being a manual tradesman and pissing about in school anyway not bashing ps3 I have one as I have every console out at the minute including wii u. I just think its sad that Sony are claiming how great they are due to console sales, which as I said I and all my friends only use to watch hd movies and the odd first party games . I am just trying to gauge other gamers (not troll bashers lol) opinion on the matter its a reasonable question and like I said I don't think the machine is bad I just think due to design flaws like there online voice chat and that some games like sky rim can't get there dlc to run, do u all think Sony have damaged there gaming reputation with third party's and gamers. I would appreciate reasonable answers but please no more troll lists its embarrassing there are many things I am sure I could rib u about I just don't have the time or inclination mate.love u
damon2509 3
New user

Postby lifebrink » 19 Dec 2012, 14:11

Troll Check List...

1. Start by saying "I'm not a Troll..." - Check
2. Go on to justify how and why they are not a Troll - Check
3. Bash product using cliched Troll Statement from 5 years ago (eg. "Glorified Blu Ray Player") - Check
4. Praise competitive product for it's diversity and general greatness - Check
5. Point out specific examples of bad ports on "inferior" machine whilst completely ignoring faults on competing products - Check
6. Bash complimentary products (eg. Vita) - Check
7. Display a complete lack of grammar, punctuation and paragraphs and type entire rant as a single sentence - Check

Yeah... you're not a troll at all :roll:

ha ha genius
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 62

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby RustySpoon80 » 19 Dec 2012, 14:11

damon2509 wrote:My point was how many are used as a blu ray player only as for a long time they were cheaper and more future proofed due to software updates it would be interesting to know

And how many 360's are bought as a replacement to a RROD machine. Sony (or MS) dont care why you buy their machines. Just that you do.

As for the Skyrim issues, I've played for well over 100 hours and haven't encountered any issues.
RustySpoon80 56

Next