Dark Souls 2: 'We'll protect core experience', promises crea

Your comments on our articles.

Miyazaki suggests mechanics and difficulty won't be vastly different

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki has moved to allay fears that just-announced sequel Dark Souls 2 could tone down the series' trademark high difficulty.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dark Souls 2: 'We'll protect core experience', promises crea

Postby shev » 19 Dec 2012, 12:59

There's always reason to worry when things change but without change, things can't improve. I think it sounds like they know what needs to be done. The core remains but the edges gets some sharpening. :D
shev 46

Re: Dark Souls 2: 'We'll protect core experience', promises

Postby brookie_2001 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:10

The core experience of Dark Souls was excellent. It was things like the inventory and lack of sign posting and explanations for things. The Inventory, even for a console was crap and quite a bit of the game you had no idea what some things did or where to go without looking online.

Also have the option to stop people invading your game.
brookie_2001 62

Postby Stryker89 » 19 Dec 2012, 13:15

It took me much longer than I care to admit to actually figure out how to use magic in Dark Souls. I'm not worried, personally.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby Lsnake » 19 Dec 2012, 18:10

The difficulty should remain, but you really shouldn't have to read a 300 page guide before starting the game in order to get some indication of how a game works. The challenge should be beating it, not figuring out how the tedious game mechanics works. Some streamlining and improving the general mechanics such as covenants and crafting would be pretty much all I needed.

Although, I'd love to simply get a "Disable PvP" option. I'm tired of unplugging my PS3 so I can play Dark Souls without constantly getting ganked every step of the way when being human.
Lsnake 46

Postby rossva » 20 Dec 2012, 07:40

Stryker89 wrote:It took me much longer than I care to admit to actually figure out how to use magic in Dark Souls. I'm not worried, personally.

Well don't worry - I still haven't figured it out!
rossva 26

Postby getup2k » 20 Dec 2012, 08:40

Dark Souls is perfect, no signposting? don't know how to use magic? no accessibility? feels unfair but that's the point, you learn the stuff by accident, or experimenting. you might not learn everything and you haven't got a clue really what the hells going on, everything is so vague. Its what give the game it's nightmareish feel, which is so important to the souls games. Its just outstanding, and so bold of the developers to not hold your hand. DS2 will probably lose that. The 'game mechanics' will 'improve' but the game will definitely lose a lot of its trademark art. when you fail to understand what makes a series tick you get something like ninja gaiden 3. i'm not saying it'll be that bad but mark my words it wont be good enough - and nobody will want to put themselves through another souls game unless they know it's fully up to scratch. you'll get half way through and there'll be nothing to drive you. the games more accessible so you know you're not playing the hardest game ever made any more. so wheres the sense of accomplishment? you've played through demons and dark so whats the point? this needed to be next gen, flawlessly beautiful and impossibly brutal. you can mess with a lot of game series and it'll be ok, but souls really isn't one of them.
getup2k 46