to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Psychologist defends games amid tabloid school massacre link

Your comments on our articles.

The Sun links Connecticut tragedy to Call of Duty

It seems more than ever media outlets and commentators are keen to link violent tragedies and gaming - and sadly this week they've had more cause than usual.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby born2play » 18 Dec 2012, 11:55

The sun is a steaming pile of shite

I've just played ZombieU so I'm dusting off my cricket bat and heading to London :roll:

Pathetic
Whoring trophies since 2008
born2play 32

Xbox Live: born2play82
PSN ID: born2play07

Re: Psychologist defends games amid tabloid school massacre

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 18 Dec 2012, 12:08

We all knew it'd happen. As soon as I read that he often had LAN parties I just KNEW they'd make a stupid as s**t connection to gaming. Yeah yeah games that shouldn't even be in the hands of very young gamers are the problem. Ban those eveil things! Has nothing at allll to do with the idiots who allow the very young and mentally troublesome to play them.... typical morons trying to fix a problem with a misguided solution. If only instead of going on the rage with HOW they THINK a problem is occurring they could pull their heads out of their arses and work towards solving WHY the actual problem occurs. If only..

Good to see there's some people out there with common sense to rubbish this sort of s**t.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby wishface » 18 Dec 2012, 12:10

It is nowhere as simple as either video games are to blame or not to blame.
wishface 41

Postby wuntuwuntu » 18 Dec 2012, 12:11

The Sun is spot on with this. There are some really screwed up people playing C.O.D. Just listening in on some conversations while playing and the words unhinged or fruit cake come to mind. Its those army rejects that really scare me, the ones that didn't quite make it into the armed forces and are living out some kind of soldier fantasy through video game.
S C A R R Y!
wuntuwuntu 37

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 18 Dec 2012, 12:13

Oh Jesus Christ he played Call of Duty, So do millions of toher people. So if the cause of this something millions do than maybe. Its driving a car, or brushing his teeth, or wearing clothes.Or maybe, just maybe , the kid had problems and nobody took the time to talk to him or help him with them. Maybe some creeping sense of helplessness forced him to commit this heinous act. Maybe he was just broken.

But i there was somthing that made him do what he did and the fact he killed his mother but left his brother alive is very telling indeed.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby StonecoldMC » 18 Dec 2012, 12:15

The Sun? News International? Murdoch?

Phone Hacking? Hillsborough? The Miners Strikes? Kelvin f**king MacKenzie? Roy Greenslade? Lies, lies and more lies.

Who the f**k are they to lecture us on morals and morality?

The fact that people continue to buy this paper staggers me, it truly does.

Follow the Liverpool lead and f**king ditch this sorry excuse for a rag, how it didnt happen after the phone hacking scandal beggars belief.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby nologo » 18 Dec 2012, 12:17

i dunno you know.. i kinda think if you have the personality disorder he (apparently) did.. and you become "obsessed".. and have access to the weapons in game in real-life (RL) then this could happen.

its easy to see a link. he obviously had serious mental issues, giving someone like this access to guns will always lead to a disaster.

i think the ppl above (and most readers) here will just dismiss it because they don't feel the urge to shot a ton of kids or steal cars cos they played GTA.. but just step back and consider someone with a mental illness and suffers some sort of relapse or something.. coupled that with access to assault rifles...

yes, parents can be to blame. the US gun laws are to blame. but media (games/movies) can also have an influential impact.
the answer isnt to ban video games, but parents need educating allowing kids to play video games (i think technically he was an adult) which are considered violent.
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby martinawatson » 18 Dec 2012, 12:34

nologo wrote:i dunno you know.. i kinda think if you have the personality disorder he (apparently) did.. and you become "obsessed".. and have access to the weapons in game in real-life (RL) then this could happen.

its easy to see a link. he obviously had serious mental issues, giving someone like this access to guns will always lead to a disaster.

i think the ppl above (and most readers) here will just dismiss it because they don't feel the urge to shot a ton of kids or steal cars cos they played GTA.. but just step back and consider someone with a mental illness and suffers some sort of relapse or something.. coupled that with access to assault rifles...

yes, parents can be to blame. the US gun laws are to blame. but media (games/movies) can also have an influential impact.
the answer isnt to ban video games, but parents need educating allowing kids to play video games (i think technically he was an adult) which are considered violent.

I would echo these thought's and don't think its something that should be dismissed out of hand , especially as games become more realistic and involving in the future.
I wouldn't read the Sun for my factual evidence though, or any other reason come to that, crap comic of a newspaper for the mentally challenged.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby beemoh » 18 Dec 2012, 12:36

born2play wrote:The sun is a steaming pile of shite

I've just played ZombieU so I'm dusting off my cricket bat and heading to London :roll:

Pathetic

You should see the massive cock I've built out of soil in my back garden after a particularly long Minecraft session.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby Jingee » 18 Dec 2012, 12:36

"Him and all the other killers who committed such atrocities all wore jeans... That must mean that jeans are behind it!" - The Sun logic. I would've thought that a 'newspaper' that claims to be for the 'people' would at least have caught on to the fact that the vast majority of its readership are young and play video games, and in no way want to hear this drivel. Save it for the Daily Mail.
Jingee 50

Postby dannyhulse » 18 Dec 2012, 12:38

Here's an idea...

Instead of getting all up in a tizzy over whatever the Sun says,

Let's, as a nation, just ignore the Sun.
dannyhulse 47

Postby Osiris25 » 18 Dec 2012, 12:38

I knew the second this story broke that video games would be blamed shortly after. Its utter bullsh!t. On Five Live this morning they were interviewing someone over in the town about the tragedy and out of now where that prick Nicky Cambell said "are video games to blame for this?" I'm sorry but is it that films tv & music are allowed to do whatever they want when it comes to blood & violence but video games must be blamed for everything wrong in the world!

The Sun is utter low intellect dribble so anyone who reads it has little to no brain power anyway.
Osiris25 46

Postby Bright-Light » 18 Dec 2012, 12:41

wishface wrote:It is nowhere as simple as either video games are to blame or not to blame.

I agree.
Clearly not everbody who plays Call of duty will go around killing people.
But surely it is conceivable that if somebody has psychological issues, then playing Call of Duty or any other violent computer games could possbily add fuel to an unstable mind, even it is a tiny amount.
Bright-Light 47

Postby nologo » 18 Dec 2012, 12:46

Bright-Light wrote:
wishface wrote:It is nowhere as simple as either video games are to blame or not to blame.

I agree.
Clearly not everbody who plays Call of duty will go around killing people.
But surely it is conceivable that if somebody has psychological issues, then playing Call of Duty or any other violent computer games could possbily add fuel to an unstable mind, even it is a tiny amount.

thank you.. common sense.
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby Barry316 » 18 Dec 2012, 12:52

dannyhulse wrote:Let's, as a nation, just ignore the Sun.

Be bloody cold, dark, miserable and rainy if we did that. Be like living in Scotland.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Next