Vita celebrates first birthday

Your comments on our articles.

Sony says you could play Wii U games like ZombiU using Vita/PS3 Cross-Controller

Vita celebrates it first birthday today, having launched in Japan on December 17, 2011.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Vita celebrates first birthday

Postby Gambini » 17 Dec 2012, 14:27

Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Vita with a 4gb Card & MGS:HD in a pretty good bundle deal from Zavvi (£169.99 incase anyone's interested...)

With the addition of PSN+, I think the Vita is worth the investment now, although I fully expect Sony to drop the price next year... My purchase was very much based on an expectation that Sony will also make Remote Play available across all/most PS3 games in 2013 to compete with the WiiU... that will be a killer feature.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Re: Vita celebrates first birthday

Postby XypherCode » 17 Dec 2012, 15:03

In other words... Sony: "Don't play their games! Play ours instead!"

While it's true that the gameplay/gamestyle will be similar to that of Wii U, it doesn't change the fact that you need to purchase both systems. And in general they're not 'one' console and the Wii U's dual screen gaming is already integrated. So I'm guessing there will be just a handful of games using this feature. If you think about it, when Nintendo decides to make the 3DS an additional controller for Wii U that's a bonus for them so it's like what Sony is trying to do with the Vita.. Especially if they use it for games like Smash Bros.

I just hope Sony will be successful in that department. For now all I want are more compelling games for my Vita :))
Last edited by XypherCode on 17 Dec 2012, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
XypherCode 24

Postby Solm » 17 Dec 2012, 15:08

I'm not sure remote play will ever be standard for all PS 3 games. Only Sony exclusives I presume. Still it's nice to dream.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby karkify » 17 Dec 2012, 15:23

Would definitely like to see more compatibility between the 2 devices, but nothing forced like the Wii U is. Added functionality, like what the GBA was to LoZ: The Wind Waker. A game built specifically to utillise the Vita as a second screen is just begging to flop.
karkify 50

Postby MD1500 » 17 Dec 2012, 15:34

Nice try, Sony, but playing a game like Zombi U with anything other than the zero lag the Wii U offers is just asking for trouble...
MD1500 52

Wii Code: 0483-2201-0667-9411
xFire: 3DS FC: 2320 - 6115 - 3313

Postby ricflair » 17 Dec 2012, 15:46

The gamepad and Wii U have their own dedicated wireless (N I think I read) service for streaming directly between the two devices - no router, no other traffic on the channel, just video and audio. The PS3 won't be able to do that a G speeds due to lack of dedicated hardware, let alone at N speeds.

However, if they were able to get this running, it could lead to more developers making more games and making better use of what's on offer for both the Wii U and the PS3/Vita combo - which would be a good thing.

To be honest though, ZombiU wouldn't suffer too much from having a split second of lag.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby a_adji » 17 Dec 2012, 16:05

Oh dear moment.

Sony riding on Nintendos c0ck to success again lol. oh dear.

Fix your price and expensive hardware and you wont have an issue. Watch how they will bulls the ps4 on price also whilst following Nintendo with using current gen tech that's clocked.
a_adji 47

Postby karkify » 17 Dec 2012, 16:38

a_adji wrote:Oh dear moment.

Sony riding on Nintendos c0ck to success again lol. oh dear.

Fix your price and expensive hardware and you wont have an issue.

Obvious troll post, but it annoys more and more when people are still cliaming the vita to be expensive. The guy at the top said he just bought a vita + 4gb card + game for £169. If you factored in PS+ you're getting a lot for just over £200.
Sure its not that magical fantasy land price of 20 quid everyone thinks portables should be, but it damn well isn't expensive either.
karkify 50

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 17 Dec 2012, 16:48

nope, it won't take off.

Wii U was built from the ground up with this feature in mind, and Sony could never achieve the level of stability and no-lag that the Wii U offers. Also, developers know for certain when developing for the Wii U that every person who owns a Wii U has the gamepad, where as not everyone who owns a PS3 owns a Vita (it's probably a very small percentage) which will make developers and publishers less likely to go the extra mile for the feature
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby nuggit3000 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:07

Gambini wrote:Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Vita with a 4gb Card & MGS:HD in a pretty good bundle deal from Zavvi (£169.99 incase anyone's interested...)

With the addition of PSN+, I think the Vita is worth the investment now, although I fully expect Sony to drop the price next year... My purchase was very much based on an expectation that Sony will also make Remote Play available across all/most PS3 games in 2013 to compete with the WiiU... that will be a killer feature.

My wife has just ordered me the same bundle. she dont know I know, so I cant tell her I think they have mischarged her.
Her history on Zavvi looks like this

PS Vita, including Metal gearHD + Memory card = £169.99
Metal Gear HD = £14.95
Memory Card = £9.99
Total = £194.93

Can you let me know if they did the same thing to you. Im yet to see if they send me two copies of game and 2 cards.
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 61

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe

Postby nuggit3000 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:13

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:nope, it won't take off.

Wii U was built from the ground up with this feature in mind, and Sony could never achieve the level of stability and no-lag that the Wii U offers. Also, developers know for certain when developing for the Wii U that every person who owns a Wii U has the gamepad, where as not everyone who owns a PS3 owns a Vita (it's probably a very small percentage) which will make developers and publishers less likely to go the extra mile for the feature

I see what you mean, but a lot of what Ive seen on WiiU so far could be done with split screen. Yes a touch screen would be nice, but not impossible to emulate with a controller or even Move.

Example ZombiU could be remade for PS3 with optional, classic controller, PS move controller, or Dual screen support, meaning they would not lose sales, just because of lack of Vita owners.

the keypad sequence from ZombieU trailer could be done:-
Classic: split screen pops up, use thumbstck to hit buttons
Move: split screen pops up, use move pointer to press keypad
Dual screen: use Vita touch screen to press keypad

Remember when GTA came out on DS, they said it could not be done on any other platform... then it did just fine on PSP.
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 61

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:47

nuggit3000 wrote:
Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:nope, it won't take off.

I see what you mean, but a lot of what Ive seen on WiiU so far could be done with split screen. Yes a touch screen would be nice, but not impossible to emulate with a controller or even Move.

Example ZombiU could be remade for PS3 with optional, classic controller, PS move controller, or Dual screen support, meaning they would not lose sales, just because of lack of Vita owners.

the keypad sequence from ZombieU trailer could be done:-
Classic: split screen pops up, use thumbstck to hit buttons
Move: split screen pops up, use move pointer to press keypad
Dual screen: use Vita touch screen to press keypad

Remember when GTA came out on DS, they said it could not be done on any other platform... then it did just fine on PSP.

I think you're missing the point :/

No one said they couldn't use alternatives, the point Sony were making is that they could mirror the Wii U with the PS3 and Vita.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby adamitom2 » 17 Dec 2012, 18:09

nuggit3000 wrote:My wife has just ordered me the same bundle. she dont know I know, so I cant tell her I think they have mischarged her.
Her history on Zavvi looks like this

PS Vita, including Metal gearHD + Memory card = £169.99
Metal Gear HD = £14.95
Memory Card = £9.99
Total = £194.93

Can you let me know if they did the same thing to you. Im yet to see if they send me two copies of game and 2 cards.

Looking at that, I reckon she's going to end up with 2x game and card as the console looks like a bundle
adamitom2 36

Postby Cogglesz » 17 Dec 2012, 19:15

I'm pretty interested in the crossplay thing like the Wii U, it would be a nice bonus for folk with both the handheld and console but i've never held a vita in my hand, how does it compare to the dualshock? i thought the psp had less comfortable controls than the old dualshock so when sony were talking about doing it on the psp and ps3 it kind of put me off it.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby alan666 » 17 Dec 2012, 19:19

Instead of using the Vita as a controller for the PS3 why not just get some more games out for the Vita ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next