to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Blog: PS3 game patches can be downloaded in the background

Your comments on our articles.

One feature PS3 gamers have often lobbied for is the ability to download game patches, which can often be large files, in the background while still using the system to play or watch other content.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Blog: PS3 game patches can be downloaded in the background

Postby TheLastDodo » 17 Dec 2012, 14:24

Thanks for the information but considering this needs PS Plus, not to mention how convoluted it all is, I'd rather just let Plus download my game updates in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping.
TheLastDodo 76

Re: Blog: PS3 game patches can be downloaded in the backgrou

Postby ensabahnur » 17 Dec 2012, 15:04

Now all we need is for someone to speed up trophy updates and for deleting data and we're laughing. Even when you cancel updating trophy info the system stalls for near 30 seconds to a minute, maybe not too much to moan about but it doesn't half p**s you off when you can't even move the xmb whilst this happens.

Had to delete some game and video files last week to free up space and it takes about 5 minutes to delete something like Gran Turismo's 6gb of data. Must have spent the best part of an hour finding and deleting some of my bigger files. Compare that to deleting a game file off the 360 of the same size where its almost instantaneous.
Last edited by ensabahnur on 17 Dec 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby WHITEyy118 » 17 Dec 2012, 15:16

I actually worked that one out a while ago. Trouble is the PS3 doesn't always turn on to do the download, well not for me anyway.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby NewsWithFriends » 17 Dec 2012, 16:58

as a ps+ member my patches come in while i sleep so really no need for all these extra tricks... although i am sure it would be nice for those that are not + members yet.
NewsWithFriends 1
New user

PSN ID: jeepndave

Postby illage2 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:15

Shame you have to be on PS+ to use this guide. Could have used it, I picked up Uncharted 3 yesterday and it needed 3 updates ..... that's right 3 updates.
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby ensabahnur » 17 Dec 2012, 17:24

illage2 wrote:Shame you have to be on PS+ to use this guide. Could have used it, I picked up Uncharted 3 yesterday and it needed 3 updates ..... that's right 3 updates.
Could have been worse, try downloading and then updating Pain. Last time i tried it had 9 updates, quite a few large 400mb ones too, and it took about 4 hours on a 20mb connection at the time. That was about 2 years ago, i shudder to think what awaits me if i ever turn it on again even with a 60mb connection.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby 360_Fan » 18 Dec 2012, 04:29

illage2 wrote:Shame you have to be on PS+ to use this guide. Could have used it, I picked up Uncharted 3 yesterday and it needed 3 updates ..... that's right 3 updates.

Great. I just picked it up yesterday and was going to have a play tonight but that might not be an option. :(
This is difficult to get my head around after years of ease with the 360.
360_Fan 59

Postby seeafish » 20 Dec 2012, 12:39

This is good to know, thanks... only problem: why does it have to be like this? I mean if there's a workaround that works perfectly, why can't Sony just make this behaviour the default behaviour? Kind of annoying.
seeafish 8