to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Isn't the Wii U Pro Controller a cop out for developers?'

Your comments on our articles.

Pro-digious?

On this week's mailbox we've got Liam Mcmillen, who e-mailed in to ask whether the Wii U Pro controller could make developers lazy.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby l1nc » 15 Dec 2012, 15:34

No because not every wiiu owner will have one if the machine came bundled with on I would say yes. Much like the classic controller on the wii it was the players choice.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 41

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby B_G_G » 15 Dec 2012, 15:36

No?

Make a good game. If its better on a traditional controller, why make it worse by forcing touchscreen controls on it?

I bet if I went back through CVGs Wii game reviews I'd find hundreds of examples of: "using X is mapped to shaking the controller, but a simple button press would be preferable."

Forcing game developers to do anything can only stifle their creativity.
B_G_G 51

Re: 'Isn't the Wii U Pro Controller a cop out for developers

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Dec 2012, 16:08

B_G_G wrote:

No?

Make a good game. If its better on a traditional controller, why make it worse by forcing touchscreen controls on it?

I bet if I went back through CVGs Wii game reviews I'd find hundreds of examples of: "using X is mapped to shaking the controller, but a simple button press would be preferable."

Forcing game developers to do anything can only stifle their creativity.

From my own experience, the gamepad's touch screen is being used to add options to the way you choose to play, rather than forcing you one way or another. For example, in Trine 2, you can play the game almost entirely on the touchscreen or just not use it at all. Whereas a game like Zombi U uses it to provide you with quick access to more buttons and tools. It is the added option of choice and greater interactivity that makes this controller unique. And the best part it that it never feels gimmicky or unresponsive, i.e. like the Wii remote.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Dec 2012, 16:12

I find it a little annoying that the Classic controller isn't being utilised more. It does the job just as well as the Pro. For example, why is it not an option on the Zombi U multi-player? Why just the Wii remote, nunchuk combo and Pro controller?
fatherofthenoo 41

Postby rbt2 » 15 Dec 2012, 16:15

Best controller since the N64.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby B_G_G » 15 Dec 2012, 16:29

fatherofthenoo wrote:From my own experience, the gamepad's touch screen is being used to add options to the way you choose to play, rather than forcing you one way or another. For example, in Trine 2, you can play the game almost entirely on the touchscreen or just not use it at all. Whereas a game like Zombi U uses it to provide you with quick access to more buttons and tools. It is the added option of choice and greater interactivity that makes this controller unique. And the best part it that it never feels gimmicky or unresponsive, i.e. like the Wii remote.

That's my exact point. If devs have the choice then they can implement features or not as they deem appropriate for their game.

Having the choice to use a more traditional controller doesn't mean less creativity, it means more.
B_G_G 51

Postby beemoh » 15 Dec 2012, 16:32

fatherofthenoo wrote:I find it a little annoying that the Classic controller isn't being utilised more. It does the job just as well as the Pro. For example, why is it not an option on the Zombi U multi-player? Why just the Wii remote, nunchuk combo and Pro controller?

Because it's a little bit cumbersone, as it has to be plugged into a wiimote.

That being said, it's strange that the Wii U doesn't treat them both the same automatically, since they're basically functionally identical.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Dec 2012, 16:50

beemoh wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:I find it a little annoying that the Classic controller isn't being utilised more. It does the job just as well as the Pro. For example, why is it not an option on the Zombi U multi-player? Why just the Wii remote, nunchuk combo and Pro controller?

Because it's a little bit cumbersone, as it has to be plugged into a wiimote.

That being said, it's strange that the Wii U doesn't treat them both the same automatically, since they're basically functionally identical.

Yes, it is strange. Especially since the nunchuk still has to be connected to the Wii remote in the same way as the Classic controller. So that couldn't be their reason. Maybe it is to promote sales of the Pro. Cheeky blighters!
fatherofthenoo 41

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Dec 2012, 16:56

B_G_G wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:From my own experience, the gamepad's touch screen is being used to add options to the way you choose to play, rather than forcing you one way or another. For example, in Trine 2, you can play the game almost entirely on the touchscreen or just not use it at all. Whereas a game like Zombi U uses it to provide you with quick access to more buttons and tools. It is the added option of choice and greater interactivity that makes this controller unique. And the best part it that it never feels gimmicky or unresponsive, i.e. like the Wii remote.

That's my exact point. If devs have the choice then they can implement features or not as they deem appropriate for their game.

Having the choice to use a more traditional controller doesn't mean less creativity, it means more.

Aye. If it doesn't need any extras then why not leave the Pro as the sole option for them. Good point. But since the gamepad offers the exact same button options, it kind of renders the Pro obsolete. Still, at least the Pro has the bonus of not draining every 3-4 hours and it is less "scary" to those more used to conventional controllers.

I have to say though, my daughter looks hilarious holding the gamepad. It's like she's holding a dinner tray lol.
fatherofthenoo 41

Postby Imaduck » 15 Dec 2012, 16:57

No, it's a gimmick free "classic" styled controller that'll appeal to many. Designing only for the Wii U remote is financial suicide for 3rd party developers.
Imaduck 58

Postby El Mag » 15 Dec 2012, 18:28

I call every consoles controller a pad, which sometimes leads to me asking her "where's the pad?" or saying "the pad needs charging, I'm going for a dump for 20" and then she giggles. I always wondered why so I asked her the other week and she said it's because she calls her lady products pads, so it's funny to her hearing a bloke asking where his is and picturing it.

Very childish I thought so to teach her a lesson I hid her pads.

She had the last laugh though. My green 360 pad is now red and I doubt it'll ever be the same again.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Barry316 » 15 Dec 2012, 18:48

Do what i do. Cry at night but be thankful i can get a kidney if i ever need it.

On topic - devs will be lazy no matter what if they get a chance, so the controller won't matter.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby Hail_EL_MAG » 15 Dec 2012, 18:50

LMAO El Mag you are a legend, I had to create an account to tell you that man, you have given me so many laughs, I have seen your comments for years, you and RBT2 really make this site

You are whatever this site needs you to be.
A hero. Not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed. Nothing less than a knight. Shining.
And remember, the night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.
Hail_EL_MAG 1
New user

Postby Barry316 » 15 Dec 2012, 18:54

Maaaaaaaaag, your dads on your computer again!

Hold up is that a Batman quote? Kinky.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby illage2 » 15 Dec 2012, 19:02

El Mag wrote:I call every consoles controller a pad, which sometimes leads to me asking her "where's the pad?" or saying "the pad needs charging, I'm going for a dump for 20" and then she giggles. I always wondered why so I asked her the other week and she said it's because she calls her lady products pads, so it's funny to her hearing a bloke asking where his is and picturing it.

Very childish I thought so to teach her a lesson I hid her pads.

She had the last laugh though. My green 360 pad is now red and I doubt it'll ever be the same again.

LOOL
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Next