to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dizzy Kickstarter 'won't realistically meet funding goal' -

Your comments on our articles.

Series creators say "there's no denying we could have done this better"

With seven days to go, the Dizzy Returns Kickstarter has raised just £24,665 of its £350,000 goal and is unlikely to meet its target, series creators Philip and Andrew Oliver have conceded.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 14 Dec 2012, 12:38

Have you tried using money from your actual development studio? Just a thought.

I knew this would never work, it was an outrageous ask for that sum of money. A lot of us would like a DIZZY re-boot but not at this price thanks for stuff like i-phone.

Should have promised day one xbox live and psn title, you would have easily made the cash, these are the machines the original fans use now.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 14 Dec 2012, 12:47

Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about indeed, I just wish they'll be able to properly fund a smaller project to prove the character's potential. If that works, maybe their original idea might get another shot. I'd like to see that happen on 3DS/Vita as well, rather than just PC/smartphones.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 14 Dec 2012, 12:56

Thats a shame. I backed it. Wonder how godus s doing come to think of it.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Re: Dizzy Kickstarter 'won't realistically meet funding goal

Postby Mr_Moobs » 14 Dec 2012, 12:58

They should have given Dizzy a FAMAS or a massive sword... violent games is all anyone seems to care about anymore :(
Mr_Moobs 1
New user

Postby Uzi77 » 14 Dec 2012, 13:13

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Thats a shame. I backed it. Wonder how godus s doing come to think of it.
It's not looking good for them either, or Elite to be honest. Unless there is a major funding spike in the last few days I doubt either will get funded. Shame about Godus, such a great idea, absolutely loved B&W 1&2.

Edit: Pledge people! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22c ... s?ref=live
Uzi77 54

Postby qSPARTANp » 14 Dec 2012, 13:32

Wow, I loved Dizzy as a kid, C64 all the way!
qSPARTANp 49

Postby darry » 14 Dec 2012, 13:40

starting the campaign this early in pre-development has made it much harder to communicate our vision of Dizzy Returns

Sadly, I think the real reason is that not enough people know about/are still interested in Dizzy any more.
darry 54

Postby Skullet » 14 Dec 2012, 14:16

Dizzy was awesome back when I was a kid, not sure how well it would go down now though. I think the Oliver twins would have been better using kickstarter to fund a much smaller project like an iOS/Xbox Arcade game, then use the funds from that to fund a proper Dizzy reboot.
Skullet 60

Postby BOYD1981 » 14 Dec 2012, 15:51

It's amazing how any games actually got made at all before Kickstarter, seems like devs like the Oliver twins truly have forgotten their roots.
BOYD1981 47

Postby brookie_2001 » 14 Dec 2012, 18:12

The money they wanted was ridiculous.
A 2D Dizzy would have worked. Look at Spuds Quest, it is looking great.

Dizzy has always been a cult character. So i think they should have been aiming a little lower first. Get an XBLA, PSN, Steam 2D reboot out the door first, get new people interested. Then plan on whether to work on a full blown 3D game.
brookie_2001 62

Postby dwhlufc » 14 Dec 2012, 18:39

Mr_Moobs wrote:They should have given Dizzy a FAMAS or a massive sword... violent games is all anyone seems to care about anymore :(

Yeah, that's why Broken Sword smashed its kickstarter target by almost double the required amount!
dwhlufc 75

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 14 Dec 2012, 19:05

brookie_2001 wrote:The money they wanted was ridiculous.
A 2D Dizzy would have worked. Look at Spuds Quest, it is looking great.

Dizzy has always been a cult character. So i think they should have been aiming a little lower first. Get an XBLA, PSN, Steam 2D reboot out the door first, get new people interested. Then plan on whether to work on a full blown 3D game.

SPUDS QUEST......... Exactly

In your face Oliver Twins. Like i said when the first story broke and somebody else mentioned on here these guys are so far removed from their fan base its crazy.

A 3 month bashed out remake of treasure island or fantasy world, hell even magicland dizzy indie title on xbox live for say 80 - 400 microsoft points could have more than paid for the brand new remake, it would have sold loads, those games are still to this day amazing.

Broken sword smashed its target for many reasons, mainly because point and click adventure games are back in fashion right now mainly due to tell tale games and their walking dead/back to the future games recently, right now a discworld and monkey island game would also easily get funded.

This is why the indie scene is so amazing right now, theres tons of very small developers and bedroom games makers who can still produce some of the old magic at a fraction of the costs that these so called established developers want.

350,000, it still makes me laugh my nuts off everytime i hear it, watching the kickstarter total not move has been the best fun i've had all month. I dont mean to be a complete douche but when people are just so stupid they have to be told so or they just wont ever learn or change, and they need to!

Spuds Quest, its over to you
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby scooby359 » 14 Dec 2012, 19:50

I looked at it, liked the idea of it, was going to support it but then I noticed... iOS and PC only?

I don't buy simple platform games to sit and play on my PC at home and I wouldn't have an Apple gadget if you paid me. So there's not a chance I'm going to fund it on the possibility that they may or may not release an Android version.

So they shot themselves in the foot and I'm kinda glad it's backfired on them when they really didn't think the market through properly and shut off such a large number of smartphone users
scooby359 21

Postby Laughlyn » 14 Dec 2012, 22:10

Do it old skool style like the originals. use homebrew for the ds or wii, modify an existing game like nsmb modder like the other guys in the community. sure the audience wont be as large and it'd be free but a few levels will give folk an idea of the game they want to create. if a couple 15yr old in their bedroom can re-write a pokemon game or port minecraft to the ds then i'm sure a team of very experienced developers could do something in a matter of weeks for something to work in a flash browser
Laughlyn 55

Postby megavic » 17 Dec 2012, 11:31

OK so no Dizzy, but maybe we could get Elite: Dangerous kickstarted?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
megavic 29

Next